PDA

View Full Version : Default Pattern Settings After Importing?

spalted
05-04-2010, 05:44 PM
I just imported 5 or 6 stl files with Importer and I have more I plan on doing.

I am not slicing them, these particular ones were all under .75"

I save them into my favorites from stl importer. When I go to use the pattern on a project the default setting is pierced, when I un-check pierced it show a depth of .75.

The actual model depth of the last one was .363, but it still defaults to .75 or pierced.

So I decided I would edit the depth in pattern editor, but when I opened it in pattern editor it show a depth of .363, just like the actual 3d model was prior to importing.

Can I change that default somehow, I know it can be manually set each time I use the pattern, but it would be more convenient to set it at the intended depth.

Jeez..... I just re-read that and it confusing as all hell, but I don't know how to explain it any better.

Is there a snowballs chance that any of you have a clue what I'm talking about?

earlyrider
05-05-2010, 12:03 AM
The machine just defaults to the board thickness (the bottom of the board) when you uncheck the "pierced" box. All you need to do is change the depth of the pattern the conventional way, to put it where you want.
Ron

spalted
05-05-2010, 08:05 AM
Thanks Ron,

I thought maybe I was missing some options or settings that would speed up designing, but I guess not.

mtylerfl
05-05-2010, 08:08 AM
Thanks Ron,

I thought maybe I was missing some options or settings that would speed up designing, but I guess not.

Another way...after you have made your pattern, open it up in the Pattern Editor (assuming you have that - it comes with the scanning probe). Change the depth setting to whatever you want and resave the pattern. Now it will no longer default to 'pierced' and will go onto the board at the depth you chose.

spalted
05-05-2010, 08:12 AM
Thanks MT,

Thats what has me confused. A patten placed on the board defaults to pierced and .75 depth. But when I open the same pattern in pattern editor it show the depth as .140 for example, or whatever the actual model depth was.

spalted
05-05-2010, 08:20 AM
Ok..... I opened the pattern n Pattern editor. The depth did not show up as .75 like it did when I was placing patterns on the board, but I saved the pattern to the library without editing anything.

Now the pattern depth no longer defaults to pierced and .75, and it is the depth I intended.

I did nothing but open it and re-save it, I don't understand why it worked, but it did.

mtylerfl
05-05-2010, 12:34 PM
Ok..... I opened the pattern n Pattern editor. The depth did not show up as .75 like it did when I was placing patterns on the board, but I saved the pattern to the library without editing anything.

Now the pattern depth no longer defaults to pierced and .75, and it is the depth I intended.

I did nothing but open it and re-save it, I don't understand why it worked, but it did.

It essentially "resets" or eliminates the default pierced data from the pattern. You're right, I should have mentioned that you really don't have to re-input a depth (I usually do, just to make the depth an even number is all). Simply the act of opening in the PE and resaving the pattern does the trick.

EDIT: You know, I've been meaning to ask if there is a way to avoid the default "pierced" setting when saving a PTN from the STL Importer. I'll see what I can find out, and report back...

mtylerfl
05-06-2010, 10:42 AM
Getting back to you on the default 'pierced setting'...

The STL Importer requires the pierced setting because the depth is always 'bottom relevant'. (That's why a pattern saved from the importer will default to the pierced setting.) Of course, the 'pierce' is easily turned off in Designer, or if you have PE, you can re-save the pattern to remove the default pierce setting as I already mentioned above.

spalted
05-06-2010, 10:52 AM
That makes sense MT, thanks

Since the main use of the STL importer is to slice a model, it would stand to reason that it would default to the bottom of the material.

I just started opening my single plane imports in PE and re-saving them.

Again for anyone searching for this topic, after I open it in PE I made no change. Just open it and re-save it and the pierced default from STL importer is eliminated and the pattern reverts to the actual imported model height.