PDA

View Full Version : Getting divots in lettering

gumbo
05-03-2010, 09:25 PM
I am making this sign for a local firehouse everything looked great until I added feathering. Once it was added I got these divots around the lettering. Anyone have any ideas as to why or how to get rid of them? I have attached the pattern so you can see what I mean.

bjbethke
05-03-2010, 10:23 PM
I am making this sign for a local firehouse everything looked great until I added feathering. Once it was added I got these divots around the lettering. Anyone have any ideas as to why or how to get rid of them? I have attached the pattern so you can see what I mean.
You could use the draft function to give you a feather effect. The feather function tries to affect the out side of the letters when the letters are inverted.

Ike
05-03-2010, 10:32 PM

Gumbo I didn't see any divots? I thought I did but it was a dirty screen! I not sure why you need feathering for recessed letters? It is usually for raised to work the outline away.

Could you tell where you see the divots?

Ike

PCW
05-03-2010, 10:44 PM
I don't see any divots either. If you have a V90 bit I changed the text to Centerline Txt. It carve alot faster. Just another option.

bjbethke
05-03-2010, 11:03 PM
Gumbo I didn't see any divots? I thought I did but it was a dirty screen! I not sure why you need feathering for recessed letters? It is usually for raised to work the outline away.

Could you tell where you see the divots?

Ike
I think he was talking about the feather on the outside of the letters; I am not sure why he wanted to carve it that way also.

PCW
05-03-2010, 11:15 PM
bjbethke,

gumbo must be using a a font that I don't have because I'm not getting that affect. Glad you posted the picture. :mrgreen:

bjbethke
05-04-2010, 01:01 AM
bjbethke,

gumbo must be using a a font that I don't have because I'm not getting that affect. Glad you posted the picture. :mrgreen:

I guess I did not have the font he posted, (Andalus), but if you add a feather it still feathers on the outside. Just does not work with a feather, adding draft is OK.

CarverJerry
05-04-2010, 05:34 AM
I've loaded his file onto my laptop (win XP) and I can see the divots he is talking about. They are in the zero, o,u,s.and the e letters. I'm also running version 1.153 on this machine. Sorry I can't answer his question and I can't seem to post a pic of what I see as I just restored this machine and got rid of all my lettle helper programs like screen capture. Maybe if some one running what I'm using will be able to see what he is talking about. It is pretty bad. Centerline text would would help but the letters will not look any thing like he's got here.

sorry couldn't help ya Gumbo

CJ

CarverJerry
05-04-2010, 05:44 AM
Ok, went back and figured out how to use paint to post a picture, hope this shows what we're seeing.

CJ

gumbo
05-04-2010, 07:42 AM
Ok, went back and figured out how to use paint to post a picture, hope this shows what we're seeing.

CJ

That is exactly what I am talking about. I don't need the feathering but was playing around with the look of the sign and tried the feathering and discovered the divots as CarveJerry has posted in his pic. And centerline won't work for the look they want, but thanks any way. Actually I see more divots than CarveJerry has posted.

CarverJerry
05-04-2010, 07:49 AM
I just fired up my desktop running designer 1.153 and windows 7 and the divets were not there. No ideas as what is going on between the 2 different windows program, and why Gumbo is seeing more than what I see using XP & laptop. Any help would be nice, both for my understanding and Gumbo's final results.

CJ

gumbo
05-04-2010, 08:01 AM
I just fired up my desktop running designer 1.153 and windows 7 and the divets were not there. No ideas as what is going on between the 2 different windows program, and why Gumbo is seeing more than what I see using XP & laptop. Any help would be nice, both for my understanding and Gumbo's final results.

CJ

I am going from memory because I am at work, but I am quite sure I am seeing them also in the H and yours seem to be more evenly spaced. When I get home I will do a print screen and post what I am seeing

cnsranch
05-04-2010, 08:55 AM
Probably going to have to use a different font - sometimes a font will do that, it's not the fault of the machine or Designer, it's the way/how the font was made.

As I understand it, fonts aren't designed to be "carved", so it's not necessary to be super careful when designing one.

Hope that makes sense.

spalted
05-04-2010, 09:26 AM
I had a similar dot issue with a pattern I had made.
When I opened it in pattern editor I found it was only one pixel that was causing the problem.

My point is if the fonts were not created perfectly clean that may be the problem as cns said.

Digitalwoodshop
05-04-2010, 10:01 AM
Some things that will help this question....

Name of Font Used as if we don't have that font then it can substitute the font.

Some Fonts don't carve correct or if you expand the spacing between the letters you get problems.

Since 1.163 has been a little flaky with extra lines on some users projects always list the version of Designer you are using and if possible try the same project in a older version.

AL

gumbo
05-05-2010, 09:36 PM
Sorry it took me so long to get back to you guys but life is crazy right now (little league season). It doesn't seem to matter which font I use I get the same results, some worse than others. The one I have attached is using the font Cambria which I think that most people will have. If you look at the "0" in 10 without the feather the center still has problems and so does the rleft side of the u. could It be how big I am making the font? I am still running with version 1.153 and ths spacing between the letters is only at 2

PCW
05-05-2010, 10:15 PM
Sorry it took me so long to get back to you guys but life is crazy right now (little league season). It doesn't seem to matter which font I use I get the same results, some worse than others. The one I have attached is using the font Cambria which I think that most people will have. If you look at the "0" in 10 without the feather the center still has problems and so does the rleft side of the u. could It be how big I am making the font? I am still running with version 1.153 and ths spacing between the letters is only at 2

I have tried to duplicate your problem using feather as well as draft and it looks perfect on my screen every time. Doesn't matter if I choose Cambria or any of the other fonts that I've tried.

Windows 7 64 bit Ver 1.162

CarverJerry
05-06-2010, 05:30 AM
Gumbo, I'm back on the laptop (XP) where I seen the divets earlier, I just down loaded both files, your first one..they are still there, the 2nd one I don't see any divets at all.....something is going on here and it's over my head. Sorry can't help ya here, good luck

CJ

DocWheeler
05-06-2010, 09:26 AM
I don't know if I'm adding to a solution of mudding the water, but...

When I changed the sizes of Michael Tyler's Autumn Leaves, I got those "divots" in several places (edges) on leaves I carved at REDUCED size.

cnsranch
05-06-2010, 09:53 AM
gumbo - no matter what I do I can't replicate the problem, either (other than crashing Designer).

Jeff_Birt
05-06-2010, 11:47 AM
Sometimes if you set bit optimization to 'Best' and you have a raster that comes all the up to the top of the board, Designer gets a little confuses as it tries to blend the carving through zero (the top of the board.) I don't have Designer on this computer so I can't look at the MPC and see if this is the case.

You can bypass the issue by making the top of the carving come up just shy of the top of the board, just a few thousandths of an inch is fine, or not doing bit optimization.

gumbo
05-16-2010, 11:02 AM
Sorry it been so long till I got back, updated to new version of designer and divots have gone. Will start the carve today and will let you know if they showup

gumbo
05-17-2010, 10:34 PM
Carved flawlessley with out any of thoes nasty divots. I don't seem to get it but I guess I will never understand it all.