PDA

View Full Version : original size

Walker Sky Ranch
05-03-2010, 09:11 PM
I am sure this is listed in the posts somewhere but I am unable to find it.

so, I hope someone can help me.

I scanned a flat object that is an odd shaped, uploaded the scan and it opens in the pattern editor just fine, but it is not the original size, and I cant really get an accurate measurement of the item due to its odd shape. so how do I get it to match the same size? Thank You in advance for your help!

TIMCOSBY
05-04-2010, 11:25 AM
i think they fixed that in the newer versions but maybe not.

bjbethke
05-04-2010, 12:23 PM

I scanned a flat object that is an odd shaped, uploaded the scan and it opens in the pattern editor just fine, but it is not the original size, and I cant really get an accurate measurement of the item due to its odd shape. so how do I get it to match the same size? Thank You in advance for your help!
Welcome to the CW Forum, I find my scans upload in the pattern editor as a smaller image than the original item, but they do not distort the MPW image. Have you tried to make a MPC file in the CW Designer, it can be adjusted there.

Jcpb321
05-04-2010, 01:12 PM
Great, this is what I bought this machine for was to make duplicates???

No I have not used my machine yet, I wanted to do the dust collector thing first since it was not included with the machine as it should have been IMHO.

Now I hear this, How much of a difference is there? I am beginning to believe I bought a set up that has a lot to be desired.

John

DocWheeler
05-04-2010, 02:00 PM
John,

I think that Tim's comment is correct. I recall that this was a problem in early software versions, but was fixed. My last scans came out the correct size.

Router-Jim
05-04-2010, 02:15 PM
... I hope someone can help me.

My scans always come thru the exact size of the scan area so it's hard to really help you. When you initially download the scan it will show you the size of the scan area. This is listed on the toolbar. If you record those figures you should be able to do an exact copy of the original after it has become a pattern.

Can you tell which of these is the original?

Jcpb321
05-04-2010, 02:17 PM
Well Doc that is reassuring, now I see you are running 1.53 version right, I ended up with 1.163 but don't plan on doing anything till i see the new version 1.164 then Ill find out.

Router Jim, what you stated makes sense and I'll be sure to look at your advice,
As far a which is the original, well I really cant, the larger one is mirrored and like you said I can adjust the size, I am feeling better already
Thanks,
John

SteveEJ
05-04-2010, 03:09 PM
I always use a caliper and take measurements of the item being scanned. After I trim and clean it up in PE I then adjust the size either there on in the MPC. There is flexibility in X and Y, not too much in Z.:-D

Router-Jim
05-04-2010, 03:19 PM
Router Jim, what you stated makes sense and I'll be sure to look at your advice,
As far a which is the original, well I really cant, the larger one is mirrored and like you said I can adjust the size, I am feeling better already
Thanks,
John

John, I hope the information helps.

As far as the picture, the top was the original. I edited out the nail holes and carved a match and a mirrored image.

Walker Sky Ranch
05-04-2010, 04:33 PM
I spoke with CW support and they want to see an image of my scanning sled and object I am scanning. I have told then, it does it regardless of the object, how could it be my sled? funny! I am still trying to figure it out!
:-D

TerryT
05-04-2010, 05:34 PM
I may be wrong but... doesn't the quality setting (resolution) influence the size of the scan?

spalted
05-04-2010, 05:52 PM
I haven't used my probe yet so I'm not qualified to give advise, but I'm always willing to pretend I know what I'm talking about.

It will not help with a scan you already have done but, in the future. You could drill two small pin holes in the sled at a measured distance out side of the scanned objects footprint, and those holes would show in the scan. Then you would have a point of reference to scale from.
You could then remove the holes in pattern editor.

I'm sure there must be a better solution, but if not........ there ya go.

Walker Sky Ranch
05-04-2010, 06:04 PM
I may be wrong but... doesn't the quality setting (resolution) influence the size of the scan?

Terry, I think you might be right.. let me check into that! Why CW support would not mention that, I don't know. but thay could of overlooked that. I will report back!

Walker Sky Ranch
05-04-2010, 06:05 PM
I haven't used my probe yet so I'm not qualified to give advise, but I'm always willing to pretend I know what I'm talking about.

It will not help with a scan you already have done but, in the future. You could drill two small pin holes in the sled at a measured distance out side of the scanned objects footprint, and those holes would show in the scan. Then you would have a point of reference to scale from.
You could then remove the holes in pattern editor.

I'm sure there must be a better solution, but if not........ there ya go.

great idea!! Thank You

AskBud
05-04-2010, 07:01 PM

Here are some things to consider, as you set up your scan, and as you do your edit after the scan.

1) After you glue down your item, place a ruler on the Vertical and Horizontal axis' of your sled to get the accurate measurement of the object to be scanned.
1A) I presume that the object will be slightly "raised" off the sled so you get a true scan of just the item.
1B) The measurement of the scan is determined by the first point that touches each side of the rectangle (that is squared with the sled). Another way to state this is that the scanned pattern touches all 4 sides of the rectangle. It seems to make no difference how much larger you set your scan field, the activation of the probe controls the sizing (if you scan a dime, that is elevated, and the probe does not touch anything but the dime, the pattern will be dime-size!).
2) As you bring your scan into Designer/Pattern Editor, you will see the dimensions above the left hand image, and they should be the same as your initial measurements.
2A) Do not change these Width & Height measurements.
2B) I do often change the "Depth" measurement, to bring it into the scope of the general user.
3) If, while in Pattern Editor, you go to EDIT > ROTATE TWEAK TOOL, and rotate the pattern, your Width & Height measurements will change as it rotates.

let me know it this helps to resolve your perception of your problem.
AskBud

Walker Sky Ranch
05-05-2010, 07:11 PM
Bud, Thanks.. I have watched your video and it has been super helpful!! great stuff..
my issue is the reverse..
if I scan a quarter, it comes out dime sized in the software