PDA

View Full Version : Enlarging Dingbats

ryanlabrecque
05-03-2010, 03:49 PM
I have been attempting to create a font that consists of scanned drawings so that i may rout the drawings using centerline text. I have reviewed the dingbat tutorials and searched for other help but have not had any luck. So here is my issue. I have been able to create a new font and install it in my font files. The carvewright software recognizes the font and I am able to select my drawing from the font. The drawing shows up in the text box just fine. When I complete the process and bring the "text" into designer the drawing shows up very small. When I try to scale it up the drawing disappears altogether. It seems the raster and outline mode allows the drawing to be slightly larger but I need these graphics to rout in centerline mode for increased speed. Has anyone come across this scaling problem with dingbats? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

ryanlabrecque
05-05-2010, 09:15 AM
OK well after a lot of trial and error I have found the solution to my dingbat enlarging problem in designer. The jpeg image that I was using to create the dingbat in the font editor program was to large. After importing it into font editor I would shrink it down and then install the font. In designer the small art would show up on the board but when enlarged would disappear altogether. To fix this I had to resize (shrink to 20% of original size) the jpeg image before importing it into font editor. Once I did that the image again showed up in designer very small but scaled up to any size I wanted. I just posted this solution in case someone ran across the same problem in the future.

DocWheeler
05-05-2010, 09:30 AM
Thanks Ryan, I'm sure this will help someone.

jgowrie
05-05-2010, 10:59 AM
OK well after a lot of trial and error I have found the solution to my dingbat enlarging problem in designer. The jpeg image that I was using to create the dingbat in the font editor program was to large. After importing it into font editor I would shrink it down and then install the font. In designer the small art would show up on the board but when enlarged would disappear altogether. To fix this I had to resize (shrink to 20% of original size) the jpeg image before importing it into font editor. Once I did that the image again showed up in designer very small but scaled up to any size I wanted. I just posted this solution in case someone ran across the same problem in the future.

I have also found that importing an image file that is very large, which is generally the case when you want the highest quality, that it can also create problems with the FONT software in some cases. SO, happy you found your answer. :mrgreen:

bjbethke
05-05-2010, 11:57 AM
I have seen that, trying to go too small you also can lose detail. Why are you using JPEG images? They can add noise to you image, I find the PNG format is the best and the files are smaller.

If you are removing the background from your drawings, a JPEG adds a white or black background back that makes the file larger.