PDA

View Full Version : planing on the CW

Mike N
10-24-2006, 11:52 PM
Is it possible is I have a board that is not exactly the correct thickness across the whole board that I could plane it with the CW. I am not that good yet with my bandsaw.

thanks
Mike N

cmorlier
10-25-2006, 10:40 AM
I would not recommend planing, because a board that varies too much in thickness can cause the X drive to be overloaded, which can result in stripped gears.

BobHill
10-25-2006, 11:01 AM
Mike,

Instead of planing, I highly recommend adding a thickness sander to your cadre of power tools. I have a Performax 18-32, which can do that a lot better than any planer can do and no knives to keep sharpened. Check out: http://www.woodcraft.com/depts.aspx?deptid=4069

Bob Hill
Tampa Florida

Mike N
10-27-2006, 09:57 PM
Bob, what would be better a thickness planer or planer?

Mike

BobHill
10-27-2006, 10:14 PM
Mike,

Better is ALWAYS a subjective item and a lot of "what if's" come into play. If you wish to make a board smooth and especially if you wish it to be an exact thickness, then a thickness SANDER is far far better than any kind of planer. Now a "planer" as you named it is usually what's really a "JOINTER" and seldom has a width over 6" to 8" and normally is for edging, while a thickness plainer is just that, but besides having to be sure you keep the blades sharpened and without "dings" they aren't as good at "leveling" bowed boards as a thickness sander is. A thickness sander comes in a variety of sizes and instead of being totally side enclosed like a thickness plainer, it has one open side, so when you have wider board than the width of the sanding drum, you just run the wood through one way, then turn it around and run it through the other way each drum lowering run. You do it right and you'll never see the seam in the middle where they meet, while it's almost impossible to do that with a Jointer even if the wood is just double the width of the blade, which is rare. In other words, I'd choose a thickness sander every time over a thickness planer, even though normally the sander will cost more than the planer. And, of course, as is normal, this is MY opinion and certainly something I did myself and I have a pretty well equipped home shop.

Bob

Mike N
10-27-2006, 10:38 PM
I'm so sorry Bob I meant a thckness sander vs a planer not Jointer such as a Dewalt planer. But I get the impression that a thickness sander is better.

thanks
Mike

BobHill
10-27-2006, 11:43 PM
The sander is cerrtainly better in my eyes, Mike. Check out: http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?FamilyID=2042 which is just one place to purchase one of th Performax models.

Bob