PDA

View Full Version : corian thickness

CarverJerry
05-01-2010, 03:32 PM
I've done a couple of lithopanes out of 1/4" corian and they turned out really good. Just had a friend give me a large piece of corian but it is 1/2" thick. Have any you ever done a lithopane using this thick of material? If so do you remember the depth and heigth you used, I know on 1/4" I use a depth of .180 and a heigth of 450 which always gives me good results. Any help or suggestions would be of great help. Thanks

CarverJerry

jaroot
05-01-2010, 09:14 PM
I've done a couple of lithopanes out of 1/4" corian and they turned out really good. Just had a friend give me a large piece of corian but it is 1/2" thick. Have any you ever done a lithopane using this thick of material? If so do you remember the depth and heigth you used, I know on 1/4" I use a depth of .180 and a heigth of 450 which always gives me good results. Any help or suggestions would be of great help. Thanks

CarverJerry

I think that you've been doing this longer than I and I'm just starting to investigate doing lithos but I everything I have read has warned to keep the carving to 1/8" or less when cutting/carving plastic to keep the stress level on the machine to a minimum.

hess
05-01-2010, 10:55 PM
Jerry
I use 1/4 all the time but when I did 1/2 inch the setting for 1/4 will not show though so I would guess you have to go deeper sorry no help here

c6craig
05-02-2010, 04:45 AM
I haven't worked with lithos at all, or corian except little pieces for name plates. But if you work corian similiar to wood, could you resaw it on a bandsaw and carve it in a sled?

Craig

Eagle Hollow
05-02-2010, 07:13 AM
Craig,
Yes. I get 3/4" Corian scraps that I cut with the bandsaw and the run through the drum sander to smooth.

c6craig
05-02-2010, 08:07 AM
Craig,
Yes. I get 3/4" Corian scraps that I cut with the bandsaw and the run through the drum sander to smooth.

So that may be an option for you Jerry. I don't know though, a 1/2" thick chunk of corian might look pretty cool with a litho if you could carve the right depths. Depends too what kind of stand or box you are going to use, if it's a box you might as well resaw it since you wouldn't see the thickness of the corian anyway...

Craig

CarverJerry
05-02-2010, 08:48 AM
Thats an idea, I just wanted to use what my buddy gave me, I've got some cast acrylic sheets that are 1/4" and work well for lithos, maybe I'll just keep this chunk for a cutting board after all. I know it would be on the heavy side if I used it full thickness and besides they want a frame around it too....

CJ

cnsranch
05-03-2010, 10:14 AM
CJ

I use 1/2" Corian all the time - just add an additional .25" to your original settings - the trick is to get the thickest part of your Corian about .12-.13" thick (if you set 1/4" at .180, set 1/2" to .430).

Make sense?

BTW, I use .400 0n 1/2", because I originally was taught to set 1/4" Corian at .150.

Couple of pics using 1/2"...

Even the small "ornament" was cut in 1/2" - came out just a little thicker than I wanted, so I put it on my belt sander, and took off some thickness from the backside.

cnsranch
05-03-2010, 10:32 AM
Regarding a frame for the thicker stuff -

I built one out of ash, the other out of walnut, and cut a rabbet 1/2" deep - built the frame around the Corian, no glue on the Corian (placed the Corian in the frame to assure a tight, square fit). When the glue dried, I popped the Corian out, finished the frames, then re-set the Corian. Had a heck of a time getting the Corian back in, I found that if I beveled the backside edge of the Corian just a little, it would allow it to go back in the frame. Fits really tight, no brads, nails, glue etc.

Worked pretty well.

CarverJerry
05-03-2010, 12:37 PM
Thanks for the info there Jerry, I've made note and when I carve this I will post a pic of the final project.

CJ

lmbkb
05-20-2010, 07:07 PM
Hey guys,

Thanks for everyone that bought box deals from me before.

I had alot of guys emailing for more box deals. I ran out for a little bit. I did get some new stuff yesterday. I only have a couple boxes to offer.

The boxes are corian except where noted, and the other is a acrylic solid surface just like corian. I works like corian but it is another name brand. They are all 1/4" material.

2 boxes of 8x10 material for $80 each box plus shipping. box includes:
10 bone corian
10 solid surface material
totaling 20pcs this box

3 boxes of 8x10 material for $90 each box plus shipping. the box includes
20 bone corian
totaling 20pcs this box

2 boxes of 5x7 material for $65 each box plus shipping. each box includes
19 bone corian
11 solid surface material
totaling 30pcs. each box

Thanks alot for all your business before and thanks for whoever wants these boxes. Let me know at lmbkb@comcast.net
larry