PDA

View Full Version : diamond pattern on long board questions

deemon328
10-22-2006, 10:05 AM
Hello, I'm very seriously considering purchasing this machine, but had questions regarding its practical limits on long boards. I understand that I should build an infeed and outfeed support table to maintain the quality of cut on the machine and reduce the wear on the machine due to the weight of the board.

For this example, I'd like to decorate ceiling beams in my den with one a inch diamond pattern 1/2" in depth over the length and width of the board, which is 7 inches tall x 15 feet long x one inch thick. There are 12 of these boards that I'll need to apply this pattern to. To optimize speed, I could change the diamond pattern to a different size.

Question one: do the standard bits that come with the machine provide efficient cutting of the diamond pattern, or will I need a special bit like the 90 degree Vee groove bit?

Question two: Will using the Vee groove bit make the cutting process go faster? A more general question is will purchasing other more specialized bits improve the completion speed of the carving?

Question three: I've read on these boards that it's common for this machine to run for 5 or 6 hours at a time. If I do a large project, what is the outer limit of safe operating time for the machine? What if it took 12 hours to complete a cut?

Question four: If I created a 15' x 8" pattern in the software, would it be too large of a design to fit on the memory card?

Question five: Is the software capable of making such a long design?

I would greatly appreciate any help that can be provided regarding these questions.

Greybeard
10-22-2006, 01:19 PM
As far as I am aware, the limit is 12 feet in length. I think this is a software maximum, but also a recommended limit for the typical weight maximum for the machine to handle.

John

deemon328
10-23-2006, 08:48 AM
thanks for the info on the software limit. I can redesign my beams to have a center section to split them in half.

I'd be happy to get some other comments on my other questions.

Thanks very much.

BobHill
10-23-2006, 10:33 AM
Deemon,

If you have downloaded the demo software, check out SELECT BIT and EDGE ROUT and you'll see the available bit shapes, but although they are available from LHR, I believe you can use any router bit (of good quality) which has a 1/8" or 1/4" shank can be used on the CarveWright (except for those with the roller bearing tips).

Bob Hill
Tampa Florida