PDA

View Full Version : continues Y stall

bogwojny
04-29-2010, 04:01 PM
When it starts carving the second pass it acts like its getting hung up then stops carving and goes to end board all the way through. Any suggestions?????
Seems like theres always something going wrong with the machine....

cnsranch
04-29-2010, 04:39 PM
One of two things - either your boards edges aren't parallel to one another, and it's getting jammed up, or you're using a longer board and it's weight hanging over one end of the machine is causing the hang-up.

Quite likely the first one - don't push the sliding plate too close to the board - MT recommends placing two or three business cards between the board and plate when setting it - I usually use a piece of sandpaper folded in two for the space.

bogwojny
04-29-2010, 07:10 PM
I will try this see what happens saturday. Thanks

bogwojny
04-29-2010, 07:29 PM
also noticed the left bottom bearing doesnt move so will have to remove it and clean it good also.

Digitalwoodshop
04-29-2010, 07:38 PM
If I understand correct the head goes in the Y or left and right direction then stops. Then it goes through the board?... Are you saying the Z cuts into the board until it stalls?

If the Z is nose diving then it could be a classic bad FSC Cable. The wide cable that supplied power to the Y and Z. The old 18 pin version caused problems like that. Getting a 14 pin new Z Bundle will help.

Do a search on "Z Bundle" using the " " and you will find pictures I have posted showing the difference. I marked the pictures 16 pin but they are 18 pin for the old version.....

If you are using 1.163 then I would suggest looking at the thread about the 1.163 and go back to a older version FIRST.... This looks like a 1.163 problem too.... Skip 1.162 also....

Good Luck,

AL

bogwojny
04-30-2010, 06:27 AM
The thing is it only does it with the 3-4 wood...did 4 carvings using 2 1/2 in wood and it worked fine. I will be going back to the older version the new one isnt all that friendly. It stalls while its carving across the board.

Jeff_Birt
04-30-2010, 09:03 AM
Lets get our bearings - when standing at the keypad (front of machine) the X-axis goes left to right (the sandpaper belts), the Y-axis goes front to back (moves the spindle), the Z-axis of course is up and down.

If your feeding 3 to 4 inch this wood through the machine it is likely you are overloading the X-axis and causing it to stall. CarveWright suggests keeping the weight of the wood to 20 pounds or less and on long pieces you need to use extra support rollers to keep the wood from tipping as it feeds through the machine.

It does not sound like a software version issue.

mtylerfl
04-30-2010, 09:15 AM
I was thinking he was talking about 3/4"-thick wood. In any case, we know he has a frozen bearing. Once that bearing is rolling free again, my guess is that all will be well (of course, I could be wrong, but for his sake, I hope that does the trick).

bogwojny
04-30-2010, 06:01 PM
I meant 3/4 in wood sorry

bogwojny
05-01-2010, 06:36 AM
Im taking time to clean it today see what this does.