PDA

View Full Version : Looking to buy machine

Dpolsky
04-28-2010, 12:54 PM
Hello,

I work at a job running a big Biesse CNC, and I'm looking to take what I've learned and get my on CW or CC so I can start making affordable carvings on my own at home.

One of my products I was looking to make are lithophanes. I was wondering if this router will cut in Corian, or is it only really capable of cutting into wood?

I found the CompuCarve at Sears.com, went into the store and the guy said they don't carry them in store anymore, so he didn't know anything about it. He told me to try this forum.

If there is a website somewhere that can give a whole lot of detail about the router, what it can and can't do, what accessories are available, tools, etc.

That would be a huge help in being able to decide if I can buy this, thanks!

-Daniel

Digitalwoodshop
04-28-2010, 01:08 PM
Welcome,

This is the place and you will find all the info here to help you make the decision. You can download the Designer Software free for 30 days to play. When you buy a machine the same software activates.

You will find a few users here that have perfected making Litho's.

The Search function needs " " Like "Litho" to make it work.

Good Luck and check out Tips and Tricks for a fast education on what you need to know. User AskBud has some good videos too.

Good Luck,

AL

Dpolsky
04-28-2010, 01:11 PM
Awesome thanks!

Also, are we allowed to import carvings from 3rd party software? I have a carving program I use right now for my Biesse, and I read on their forums that you couldn't post out to the CompuCarve (I'm assuming CompuCarve and CarveWright are the same thing?) However, you can import a greyscale image, which my software lets me create from a 3d carving.

If you are following me? =)

Thanks again!

-Daniel

Digitalwoodshop
04-28-2010, 01:22 PM
AskBud and many others will chime in shortly about formats. I am more of a Hardware Guy and .ptn Challenged.

Your right the CW and CC is the same machine.

And yes, you can import a gray scale image.

Load the software and start a project. Select pattern and right click on the pattern list and select import and bring in your gray scale image.

Working in png is better than jpg.

Good Luck,

AL

Dpolsky
04-28-2010, 01:47 PM
Perhaps (probably not) my last question for now that you can probably answer.

I'm looking at the store and I see lots of 1/2" shank bits. Does this mean you can purcahse 1/2" tool holders and put any 1/2" bit into the machine? (so if I find some bits at Home Depot for example that CarveWright doesn't sell).

Thanks!

dbfletcher
04-28-2010, 01:53 PM
Perhaps (probably not) my last question for now that you can probably answer.

I'm looking at the store and I see lots of 1/2" shank bits. Does this mean you can purcahse 1/2" tool holders and put any 1/2" bit into the machine? (so if I find some bits at Home Depot for example that CarveWright doesn't sell).

Thanks!

Im sure the official stand is "no"... but after you get familiar with how the cw/cc works there are possibilities of using other bits with the cw/cc. Probably one of the more popular non-supported bits are the keyholes bits. Many of us are using that bit ... but you have to keep in mind that designer will not render any not supported bits. So what you see isnt what u get. But If you pick a bit that would match closest with the speed and feedrate, you can get away with some non supported bits. Until you really start to understand how the machine works.... its best just to stick with LhR supported bits. ALSO I SHOULD NOTE THAT ANY BIT MUST BE PLUNGABLE

Doug Fletcher

alan.galbraith
04-28-2010, 03:12 PM
Do you have a Lowe's nearby. You can order the CC thru them. Also, look at Woodcraft.

lynnfrwd
04-28-2010, 03:44 PM
You can get a refurbished with the new CarveTight spindle & heavy duty traction belts installed here for $1599.99. Plus....one year / 200 carving hours warranty..........From CarveWright!!!!

Figured I'd throw that out there!

c6craig
04-28-2010, 03:48 PM
You can get a refurbished with the new CarveTight spindle & heavy duty traction belts installed here for $1599.99. Plus....one year / 200 carving hours warranty..........From CarveWright!!!!

How about offering a trade in value for machines we cant get working? Say $500 or $600 bucks? I would be glad to upgrade for a grand....

Craig

Dpolsky
04-28-2010, 03:57 PM

I was looking at that, it helps make the offer nicer.

I've got a friend of mine whose considering splitting the cost with me as an investor, and we just want to make sure we can get our money back. Once we get our money back, any profits on top of that is golden and then it's the ultimate hobby toy to have around for gifts for everyone for the rest of the machine's life.

Was hoping to do some lithophane's for any photographer friends I can find, and then maybe some custom signs to advertise on my facebook page, and then popular quote signs to the local flee markets...

I'm pretty sure I could turn $1500 fairly easy..

We'll see!

lynnfrwd
04-28-2010, 04:39 PM
How about offering a trade in value for machines we cant get working? Say $500 or $600 bucks? I would be glad to upgrade for a grand....

c6craig:

Then why not take us up on the offer for the CarveTight Service Upgrade Package for $424???

Do you really think there is $576 dollars worth of things wrong with it? No, wait, $158 of that is shipping cost. So you have $734 worth of repairs????

$1000 your offering???? Hmmmm. We may have priced the CarveTight Service Upgrade Package too low!!!! ;) ;) ;)

Just giving you a hard time....but maybe you'll say...I didn't think of it that way.

c6craig
04-28-2010, 06:04 PM
c6craig:

Then why not take us up on the offer for the CarveTight Service Upgrade Package for $424???

Do you really think there is $576 dollars worth of things wrong with it? No, wait, $158 of that is shipping cost. So you have $734 worth of repairs????

$1000 your offering???? Hmmmm. We may have priced the CarveTight Service Upgrade Package too low!!!! ;) ;) ;)

Just giving you a hard time....but maybe you'll say...I didn't think of it that way.

That would be correct if all I was doing was getting the traction belts and Carve-Tight chuck. I am talking about trading in an entire machine with problems and getting a trade in value toward the whole refurb machine you were quoting below....rather than selling a broken machine here on the forum for the average 600 bucks they go for. True, I may send it in and it only costs me $500 to fix, but after spending all I have in parts I would just as soon take the sure thing and get a refurb with the traction belts and carve-tight and warranty....

Craig

jpaluck
04-28-2010, 11:52 PM
Awesome thanks!

Also, are we allowed to import carvings from 3rd party software? I have a carving program I use right now for my Biesse, and I read on their forums that you couldn't post out to the CompuCarve (I'm assuming CompuCarve and CarveWright are the same thing?) However, you can import a greyscale image, which my software lets me create from a 3d carving.

If you are following me? =)

Thanks again!

-Daniel

Daniel

You can import STL files with the STL Importer...it's an add-on and yeah you can also import the grey scale images from the 3d software you are using.