PDA

View Full Version : new CarveTight spindel queston?

cestout
04-27-2010, 05:20 PM
What happens with the 1/16 cutting bit? It is solid carbide, so will I have to replace that also? I purchased one when they first arrived, but have never had the chance to use it.
Clint

AskBud
04-27-2010, 07:21 PM
What happens with the 1/16 cutting bit? It is solid carbide, so will I have to replace that also? I purchased one when they first arrived, but have never had the chance to use it.
Clint

Hi Neil (AskBud),

I spoke with CarveWright a few days ago specifically about the 1/16th Cutting Bit. They are working on sourcing an adapter so that it can be used with the CarveTight, but don't have a firm release date yet. I know they are very anxious, and so am I! I have plans for future projects using that bit and I to upgrade my other machine to the CarveTight too. In the meantime, I'm keeping the QC on that one machine, while I'm waiting!

lynnfrwd
04-28-2010, 01:16 PM
This is the official word from LHR:

The 1/16" Cutting Bit is a carbide bit, but it already has a hard pressed sleeve on it that makes it into a 1/4" shank. It requires the split collet, but not the stop sleeve.

Michael - you may have received some wrong information a couple of days ago.

mtylerfl
04-28-2010, 10:04 PM
This is the official word from LHR:

The 1/16" Cutting Bit is a carbide bit, but it already has a hard pressed sleeve on it that makes it into a 1/4" shank. It requires the split collet, but not the stop sleeve.Michael - you may have received some wrong information a couple of days ago.

Hi Lynnfrwd,

Yep - I was updated by Joe L. and was glad to hear that the 1/16" Cutting Bits are now ready for prime time with the CarveTight!

CarverJerry
04-29-2010, 05:45 AM
These 1/16" bits, are they flat on the bottom or a ball like our carving bits? How many flutes on these? Just wondering....

CJ

rjustice
04-29-2010, 05:54 AM
These 1/16" bits, are they flat on the bottom or a ball like our carving bits? How many flutes on these? Just wondering....

CJ

Hi Jerry, They are flat bottom tools meant for cut outs. I think they are 2 flutes, but I am going off of memory, so dont quote me on that. :)

Happy Carving,

Ron

CarverJerry
04-29-2010, 06:11 AM
Thanks Ron, I'm thinking of ordering another 1/4" sleeve from you so I don't have to keep regauging every time I change tools. It's easy since I took the tube the bit came in and cut it to length and that is what I use to set the length of my tools. Do you have a sleeve for this 1/16" end mill? One that would go from 1/2 spindle down to this 1/16? Is this an 1/8" shank on the 1/16"?

CJ

mr1234
04-29-2010, 10:25 PM
greetings
How much quiter is this new bit truely? Been given much information that has a lot to be desired by LHR, How about an answer from the users please before spending more money. Glad Carve Wright came up with some sort of design for this, was designing something simular to start turning on the lath.

Carved the round shell box as demo for the wife, was impressed and gave the allocation to purchase all needed with this new set up. Bean counters shhhhhhhhhhh! Need less to say she was impressed. Have three art shows for this summer that we plan on attending, she will deal with the people.

She purchased a new CPU (HP) with a quad something and high powered thing that realy converts the jgp's, and it makes bitmaps out of them! I finally look like I know what I'm doing?

WHERE'S THE SPELL CHECK?:rolleyes:

rjustice
04-30-2010, 06:06 AM
Thanks Ron, I'm thinking of ordering another 1/4" sleeve from you so I don't have to keep regauging every time I change tools. It's easy since I took the tube the bit came in and cut it to length and that is what I use to set the length of my tools. Do you have a sleeve for this 1/16" end mill? One that would go from 1/2 spindle down to this 1/16? Is this an 1/8" shank on the 1/16"?

CJ

Hi Jerry,
I have 1/2 to 3/8, 1/2 to 1/4, and 1/2 to 1/8 Rock Sleeves, all in stock. I think that the shank on the 1/16 cutout bit from LHR has a 1/4" sleeve pressed on it that is permanent, making it a 1/4 shank tool. I do have some 1/16 cutout bits in stock, depending on the length of cut you would like. Mine have 1/8" shanks.

Hope this helps!

Ron

rjustice
04-30-2010, 06:11 AM
greetings
How much quiter is this new bit truely? Been given much information that has a lot to be desired by LHR, How about an answer from the users please before spending more money. Glad Carve Wright came up with some sort of design for this, was designing something simular to start turning on the lath.

Carved the round shell box as demo for the wife, was impressed and gave the allocation to purchase all needed with this new set up. Bean counters shhhhhhhhhhh! Need less to say she was impressed. Have three art shows for this summer that we plan on attending, she will deal with the people.

She purchased a new CPU (HP) with a quad something and high powered thing that realy converts the jgp's, and it makes bitmaps out of them! I finally look like I know what I'm doing?

WHERE'S THE SPELL CHECK?:rolleyes:

Hi Mike,
It sounds like you have been using your machine for a while, but are pretty new to the forum... Welcome aboard!

I think what you are asking is how much quieter the spindle is rather than the bit... I am unsure about the CT spindle, but the Rock Chuck system is significantly quieter, and because of the reduced runout, you will see a noticeable difference in the finish quality. If you search for "Rock" you will find a ton of information describing the satisfaction people have had with the Rock Chuck system. You can check out information by clicking on the links below in my signature.

Happy Carving!

Ron

Kenm810
04-30-2010, 08:28 AM
mr1234

Hi Mike,

This is a Free Spell Check that I keep on my PC's and Lap Tops
It works fine on the CW Forum, plus every place else I've tried. :wink:
http://tinyspell.numerit.com/

lynnfrwd
04-30-2010, 11:04 AM
LHR and Ron can make claims all day long. Of course, we are both partial to our own designs. They are both, in fact, good designs. The true test will be when customers or an impartial third party makes the comparison.

Can't wait to get some customer feedback on the new spindle!

cnsranch
04-30-2010, 12:02 PM

Send me one and I'll let you know what I think...

fwharris
04-30-2010, 12:26 PM
Send me one and I'll let you know what I think...

I like that!!!

liquidguitars
04-30-2010, 12:32 PM
LHR and Ron can make claims all day long. Of course, we are both partial to our own designs. They are both, in fact, good designs. The true test will be when customers or an impartial third party makes the comparison.

Lynn,

Well put.

LG

bjbethke
04-30-2010, 01:08 PM

I have an order in for the Carve Tight unit. I own Ron's QC unit with all collets. My Z truck is working great with Ron's unit. I will not be returning the old unit. It is worth $18.00 to me, (The rebate is $40.00 - $22.00 return shipping); it would be nice if the Carve Tight unit was offered without the tools. That would have saved me another $12.50.

I will let you know what I think about the LHR unit.

I do not use the Blue Thread Locker with Ron’s QC chuck; I find it is not needed. Hope I do not need it with the LHR unit.

rcdages
04-30-2010, 01:42 PM

When I get my CarveTight on and have done a couple of carving, I will be more then pleased to give you some feed back.

Robert
rcdages

Icutone2
04-30-2010, 04:03 PM
Just received the new Z truck assembly. Will install it as soon as I get home.
I'll report back soon.
Lee

Digitalwoodshop
04-30-2010, 06:15 PM
Just received the new Z truck assembly. Will install it as soon as I get home.
I'll report back soon.
Lee

Pictures.... Close UP pictures please.....

AL

AskBud
04-30-2010, 06:26 PM
Pictures.... Close UP pictures please.....

AL

Al,
There is a good video at the bottom of this link.
AskBud
http://www.carvewright.com/cms/carvetight

Digitalwoodshop
04-30-2010, 08:46 PM
Thanks AskBud,

That is a GREAT Video. Nice job LHR.

AL

mtylerfl
04-30-2010, 10:34 PM
Thanks AskBud,

That is a GREAT Video. Nice job LHR.

AL

Hi AL,

Tons of photos you can view in the April Tips & Tricks, too.

DickB
04-30-2010, 10:48 PM
(The rebate is $40.00 - $22.00 return shipping)
From where are you shipping? Priority mail is about $5.