PDA

View Full Version : New user, new lurker

Spencemark
04-27-2010, 10:53 AM
I'm reading everything I can find, but without any practical experience on
the machine it's hard to put things into perspective.

If you just got a machine (Rev. A) that had under 2 hours on it, what would
be the first things you do to it? I've already discovered that the basic
machine is one price, but if you want to do anything with it, you're going
to spend a lot more.

The previous owner put two pieces through it, I put one through it, a file
that they had carved already and it was left on the card. I can already see
that the included chuck won't do. And I'm about to open it up and go through
any/all parameter checks and offsets, fine tuning what I can.. hopefully that
will make a difference in the quality. Otherwise, I can see why they tested
it and then just packed it right back up in the box and put it out of sight.

So .. if you just got a machine (knowing what you know now) what might
be your first priority setting it up? New chuck? New bits? New software?
Building sleds? Upgrading certain parts?

TerryT
04-27-2010, 11:33 AM
I've already discovered that the basic
machine is one price, but if you want to do anything with it, you're going
to spend a lot more.

I'm not sure what you want to do with it but I did quite a bit with mine without spending any more money. I used it for about a year or so, a couple hundred hours of carving before I purchased anything. I got centerline for it but I didn't need it to use the machine. I just wanted it. I still only have the two bits that come with the machine (they have both been replaced a few times in over 700 hours of carving). As far as maintaining it goes, I have replaced the bits a few times as I stated, replaced the traction belts once. I replaced the QC and the roller bearings on the z and the y trucks. I think the maintenance was a little high but still acceptable to me. I have been using my machine for three years and it is still working perfectly.

To answer your question, I think the best single thing a new owner could do is to replace the QC with either the Rock or the new Spindle Chuck that LHR just released.

SteveEJ
04-27-2010, 12:31 PM
I agree. Get a new chuck and then get a dust collection system. Dust and Vibration are machine killers. Get rid of them early and be happy!;)

AskBud
04-27-2010, 12:50 PM
My research led me to develop the CW-Vacuum Head Project, listed below. There are many versions out there, but I'm partial to the one I designed as the cost is low.

One of the things I found, is that the dust gets compressed to the rollers without the vacuum (Dust Collector, not a Shop Vac). This means more attention to extra cleaning. A vacuum is not a "Solve All", but it greatly reduces the need to clean during the carve. The strength of your vacuum system will determine the efficiency. 600 CFM or more is best.

You will find that sooner or later, you will want/need a sled. I have a PDF on a Multi-Use Sled in the "Download" section below, as one option.
AskBud

Spencemark
04-27-2010, 09:43 PM
Is the roller gunk a bigger problem in humidity? It can get pretty
humid here in the summer. I saw some mods for dust extraction that
looked pretty interesting. Would you recommend that over a downdraft
table?

fwharris
04-27-2010, 09:48 PM
Is the roller gunk a bigger problem in humidity? It can get pretty
humid here in the summer. I saw some mods for dust extraction that
looked pretty interesting. Would you recommend that over a downdraft
table?

Spence,

First of welcome to the forum and the carving gang!

Yes the top mounted dust collection systems are much better for removing the dust from the machine than the down draft set up. With the down draft you have the board covering the majority of the area for air and dust will still get into the other parts of the machine. The top mounted systems pull the dust off of the top of the board as it is being carved.