PDA

View Full Version : solid 1 pc sled material?

Madmachinist
04-26-2010, 05:05 PM
Thinking about makeing a permanent multi use sled. I plan on making something with pockets for small .300" thick inserts of more expensive wood like cocbolo rosewood, ebony mahogany etc etc. Now what is teh wood that best gets along with the traction belts, warps the least and exhibits the best properties for a permanent sled? I plan on using it a lot of times. It's 24" X
12" X 1"
C. Wizman

Router-Jim
04-26-2010, 05:41 PM
I use HDMDF for most of my sleds. It's cheap, stable, and grips the tracking wheel very well.

dbfletcher
04-26-2010, 05:46 PM
Thinking about makeing a permanent multi use sled. I plan on making something with pockets for small .300" thick inserts of more expensive wood like cocbolo rosewood, ebony mahogany etc etc. Now what is teh wood that best gets along with the traction belts, warps the least and exhibits the best properties for a permanent sled? I plan on using it a lot of times. It's 24" X
12" X 1"
C. Wizman

If you can find Trupan (lightweight MDF) in your area, it also works very well.

Doug Fletcher

Digitalwoodshop
04-26-2010, 05:46 PM
There is a bunch of info about sleds and carrier boards in Tips and Tricks for a start.

Welcome.

AL

Madmachinist
04-27-2010, 06:39 AM
Is truepan or HDMDF a standard Lowes or HD item? Are there any other names that these go by when I go shopping?

Metalhead781
04-27-2010, 08:16 AM
I'm a fan of poplar, very light and stable but soft enough you don't need tape accept i would suggest one strip for the brass roller