PDA

View Full Version : DXF Importer

glassocean
04-26-2010, 06:43 AM
Well,
I have to say that I am happy about being able to finally import DXF files, however, I assumed it would be included in a software update. $199 seems a bit steep to me for that alone.

Jeff

hogiewan
04-26-2010, 07:35 AM
I agree - importing some sort of 2D vector seems like it should be included.

mercer57
04-26-2010, 08:46 AM
I agree, the ability to import vector and cad files should be an upgrade.

Jeff_Birt
04-26-2010, 08:58 AM
Having had the ability to play with the DXF importer a bit I'd have to say it is pretty slick. It is not just an importer that tries to make all the DXF entities MPC entities, it helps you rearrange the DXF on separate boards (MPCs) and will even repair malformed DXF drawing by trying to fix non-closed loops and such.

Let's say you have a large DXF drawing that you want to import so you can cut it out. You can load up the DXF, select certain pieces to fit onto a board and then rearrange them for the best fit. The DXF importer also takes into account the extra room you need on the edges of a board (on both the front and rear and the 3.5" on each side.)

wizer
04-26-2010, 10:28 AM
I've obviously missed this announcement. Does this mean I can now import CAD files that I have created with either TurboCAD or Sketchup with an exporter?

Is there a tutorial available? Or some sort of video preview?

RMarkey
04-26-2010, 10:41 AM
Check the DXF importer videos online at <http://www.carvewright.com/cms/dxf>

CarverJerry
04-26-2010, 12:45 PM
I just recently installed Autodesk on my new computer, thanks to a friend that had all 4 DVD's, This is a 3D program and since I've only had it a few days I'm not sure how to use it let alone what kind if file extensions it uses. Does anyone know about Autodesk and if it does DXF files? thanks

CJ

Icutone2
04-26-2010, 12:57 PM
Yes Jerry it will output DXF.
Lee

Ropdoc
04-26-2010, 01:45 PM
I am sorry to say that I agree with those of you that think it should be included with the upgrade. After my getting Photoshop and then AutoCAD to create my projects, Now I have to buy the DXF Importer. I was actually excited about what I could do with this machine. I sure hope they reconsider the method they are using to market this software.

Keep the STL and Text software separate but consider adding the DXF Importer to Designer. Help us out.

Dave

James RS
04-26-2010, 02:46 PM
If you look at the whole upgrade they posted they dropped the Stl importer price, why couldn't they offer a discount on the Dxf importer at least to those of us who already paid full price. And maybe one if you buy both, seems like a good way to still make money and make current users happy

glassocean
04-26-2010, 03:20 PM
If the DXF importer was $99, I would buy it with out question. I will also buy the STL importer at $199, but certainly not both of them at that price.

Metalhead781
04-27-2010, 09:01 AM
SLT and even in the future, 3DS imports i can understand the additional charge. DXF import should be standard. You just have to remember. LHR most likely makes the most money on upgrades, software and bits. Other CNC software have these features included but they're stand alone and not proprietary. One of the best working programs out there is Vectric in my oppinion. Vcarve pro $599 gets you v carving for text, imported images and other imports including dxf. Add to that their Cut3D for another $300 to import 3d models and slice them along with indexing for a 4th axis. Considering the cost of the CW, the software included and the addons. For a hobbyist it's still a very good deal to get some of the features included into programs like that.

Ropdoc
04-28-2010, 11:58 AM
Well I think we have all been very patient with the company. With all that said. I still think it would be great customer service to just include the DXF with the standard software rev upgrade. Because if the customer is unhappy and a company does not listen. The customer WILL go somewhere else. Even if it cost more upfront. I personally have taken a huge hit from company bad bussiness and I am tired of takin it in the shorts.

sk8nmike
04-28-2010, 02:21 PM
Well I think we have all been very patient with the company. With all that said. I still think it would be great customer service to just include the DXF with the standard software rev upgrade. Because if the customer is unhappy and a company does not listen. The customer WILL go somewhere else. Even if it cost more upfront. I personally have taken a huge hit from company bad bussiness and I am tired of takin it in the shorts.

Agreed. I like what the Carvewright will do, but all the malfuntions and sensor errors, and lack of support have driven me to look else where for a 2nd CNC machine. There is only one advantage to CW that I can see and that is the ability to work with long boards, however the 14" width is another drawback.

lawrence
04-28-2010, 08:16 PM
With all due respect to those that are saying otherwise, I would much rather have the choice on whether I desire a feature and wish to pay for it or not rather than have it automatically included in the base price--

Lawrence

jgowrie
05-03-2010, 01:53 PM
This feature was one I initially thought should be a standard but instead had to jump through a few hoops, spend some money and use the $100 Centerline add-on. So far the ability through that work-a-round has cost me $300 ( $200 for Font Editing software so I could get vector drawings into a font set ). Now it will cost another $200 ... not right now and not in the current economy. I'll continue jumping through hoops for now.

$200 is pricey and while they may have included lots of bells and whistles maybe a lite version that strictly pulls in vectors and creates mpc files from them would work better for a group of us.

wizer
05-03-2010, 04:30 PM
To be honest I think it's ok for them to charge for this addon to the software. It's a pretty big thing to add and most people who are just using the machine for carving, won't need or want it. But the price is astonishing. $200 is a hell of a lot of money. Another thing I find extremely odd is their policy not to have a demo of these new features. What happens if you drop $200 and find it doesn't suit your needs. It's non refundable and non transferable. So you'd be $200 down the drain.

But what I find outrageous is charging for Centerline. How on earth can they justify that?

jhatcher
05-03-2010, 05:25 PM
I just can't believe the price for this.

Think of the money we spend on this machine. With the machine always going down, having to order parts all the time, paying WAY to much for the bit set, but knowing that you need them sooner or later.

I paid for the scanner, that was fine, and the software was included.

I can see the price for the STL editor because it is doing something that not many of us will do and it should be an extra cost so it does not hurt us, but I think EVERYONE has wanted to import a DXF, it is just a vector format that the machine is MADE FOR and should be included in an update.

I also think the centerline text should be included, because it does what the machine was MADE FOR.

Think about it, we paid so much for the machine (which works about 75% of the time) we paid so much for the bit set (which if it took standard bits would cost us about $60 for a nice set) We pay so much for a pattern or project. I think we are bending over backwards.

LHR, you guys are trying to put out a great product, and I appreciate it so much, but your customers ARE YOUR BUSINESS. I have problems recommending your product to the hundreds of people that I speak to. I am not saying to lose money, heck you have to make money to survive, but do it in new patterns, projects, machine add ons, not on the software.

my 2 cents and I hope no one takes things bad.

Jeremy