PDA

View Full Version : Shadow Box Plans?

flyingemt
04-25-2010, 09:30 PM
Anyone have any military shadow box plans they can share? I have a USAF SMSGT retiring in the next 90 days and would like to do something custom for him.

Flying

JDPratt
04-26-2010, 08:27 AM
I don't have any specific plans, but I do several items like that on request here at Fort Sill. One good option would be to go to AAFES and take a look at the ones they have. Take some measurements and then modify/create from there. Thats how I started doing them. One idea for the sides of the shadow box is to carve their various badges in order of precedence. If there are any Military patterns you need, contact BJBethke on the forum. He has an extensive collection. There are also several sites online that sell these and many give the dimensions on those sites.

c6craig
04-26-2010, 08:31 AM
Please post back if you do find a source for a plan or pattern. My brother is retired Army and has been after me for a shadow box to display some patches and medals. My skill level isn't up to designing something from scratch...

Thanks,
Craig

JDPratt
04-26-2010, 10:30 AM
The variables involved are many, but if you can come up with a basic idea of what you want, I may be able to help you out. Variables mainly amount to what exactly are you trying to display (i.e. flag, flag w/ribbons, flag w/medals, medals and rank structure, etc....). a quick google search of "military retirement shadow boxes" or "Military shodow box" will yeild thousands of ideas. then all you have to do is figure out how you want to give it a personal touch. Sorry if this wasn't a huge help, but when I build these things I don't necessarily go by a "plan". I build them to suit what the customer wants and then modify as necessary for any carves. etc...

chebytrk
04-26-2010, 10:32 AM
The variables involved are many, but if you can come up with a basic idea of what you want, I may be able to help you out. Variables mainly amount to what exactly are you trying to display (i.e. flag, flag w/ribbons, flag w/medals, medals and rank structure, etc....). a quick google search of "military retirement shadow boxes" or "Military shodow box" will yeild thousands of ideas. then all you have to do is figure out how you want to give it a personal touch. Sorry if this wasn't a huge help, but when I build these things I don't necessarily go by a "plan". I build them to suit what the customer wants and then modify as necessary for any carves. etc...

Do you use the CW for anything on your Shadow boxes (besides any designs). Other words, do you use the CW to cut out the Top, sides and bottom of the box? Just wondering......

JDPratt
04-26-2010, 10:55 AM
I think it adds a personal touch to cave the person's name on a front plate or on the sides. I think it is better than a metal engraved plate which is somewhat typical (Al may disagree with this given the number of lasers he has). Also if the box is deep enough, some of the badges can be carved into the panel of the side. I haven't done it yet, but if you stay away from a felt or flocked background, you can carve the back panel and then mount the medals on that. That will be my next variation. Sorry, I don't have pics of these, but I was getting them out of the shop before I had the camera. However, here is a "equipment tree" (used to hang helmet, and gear) that I did for a brigade commander's office. I posted this a while back but you may not have seen it. The Commander siad it loked more like a memorial cross than an equipment tree, but it works.