PDA

View Full Version : Generating new elements as jpgs

Greybeard
10-20-2006, 02:54 AM
Without a machine of my own, but a deal of graphics experience with coreldraw, I should like to develop a general method of converting designs from 2d outlines to "3d" greyscale jpgs.

If anyone would care to take the time to try them out on scrap wood, and give me some feedback, perhaps I could start to contribute to the forum.

I've had some years building large picture frames from running moulding, so that seems to be a place to start.

Attached is my first attempt at a rope.

John

Greybeard
10-20-2006, 05:04 AM
I really must go and do some proper work, instead of playing :D

BobHill
10-20-2006, 09:27 AM
John,

Convert those JPEGs into MPC's in Designer so those without CorelDraw can use your ideas. They look good.

Bob

David M.
10-20-2006, 11:23 AM
Here are your three samples you posted, they all come out more like cones than rounded. I've tried this and it's harder than it would seem, and getting height is even harder. You should download the sample software and you can test your ideas in the software without the machine. What you see is basiclly what you get.

Greybeard
10-20-2006, 01:38 PM
Thanks for the photo David, that's exactly what I needed.
I have the facility to change the cross section to make it more rounded and loose that pimple from the top, so I'll have another go tonight.
When I drew the originals they were 5/8" across(10mm). The depth will be a function of how many steps I use in the blend before I save it as a jpeg.
I'll double the depth for the next attempt, which will also help with the rounding.

John

cajunpen
10-20-2006, 02:03 PM
Hi Greybeard,

As one of the Forum users and CW owners - THANK YOU for taking the time to post some artwork for us to carve. 3D type components are hard to come by for us without the needed software/talent. I thought that there was a company out there that was going to set up a way for us to buy their artwork for carving. Maybe someday - it sure would make the CW carvings even more attractive.

Thanks again.

Greybeard
10-20-2006, 02:48 PM
Thanks Bill.

Seeing Dave's quick response with a carving gave me a great kick, so it works both ways.

One thing has just occured to me that someone might give me some info on.

If I produce a shape, say a simple dome, with a given number of grey(gray :wink: ) steps across its diameter, I presume the cw will carve the depth the same, whatever you set the width to. Is this correct ?
Say I make the shape 1/2" across with 80 shades of grey from the lowest to the highest point, does cw interpret that as 80 steps of a constant height in the z axis? If it does, then I think that I need to redo the designs with 256 shades.

John

Greybeard
10-20-2006, 03:35 PM
Dave - I should have asked what quality setting did you use for the sample - draft, normal, or best, and what is the actual width of the "sausage" in your carving ?

Or have I got it wrong, and is that a screen shot of my jpg as shown by the cw software?
Thanks
John

David M.
10-20-2006, 04:52 PM
That is a screen shot of the software, but the carving looks as the software shows. Keep in mind the 1/16" bit , if your steps are two wide they will become platues instead of a smooth curve, it's a fine line. I believe the software would show you the normal setting.

BobHill
10-20-2006, 06:58 PM
John,

Since depth is guaged in 8bit shades of grey (white to black in 255 steps) and those steps (within the minimum step abilities of the Z axis) are done within the depth given to the pattern being carved, not the total thickness of the wood as you give it, thus within those limits (and I don't know the mm minimum movement but believe it's like 0.001 or perhaps 0.005") if you set a shallow depth the same gradient will give a smoother cut than if you set it to maximum depth (1"). Perhaps Chris Molier might give us a better description of how this works if he has the time.

Bob