PDA

View Full Version : Weird mistakes on 1.163?

c6craig
04-25-2010, 07:23 PM
Hi All,

Is 1.163 safe to use now? I just loaded it up on a new computer and carved 3 projects on 2 machines.

Machine 1 - Round Box - No problems

Machine 1 - MT's Shamrock Plaque. 6 hours and change on optimal on a nice piece of cherry. When it got to the end to do the cut out it freaked out. The cutting bit acted like it was drilling instead of cutting. You can see in the pic, the bit went down, came back up a little went down again and just sat there until I stopped it. Forgive the choppy edges, I had to cut it out on the bandsaw, I want to see if I can save it with some aggressive sanding.

Machine 2 - Carve and centerline. Carve went fine. Centerline went fine, but for some reason it put an extra line across one of the M's. All other letters before and after were fine, including other M's.

Machine 1 has a QC and machine 2 has a rock chuck, but I don't think it matters since I don't detect any bit slippage.

See pics below, any ideas????

Thanks,
Craig

AskBud
04-25-2010, 08:05 PM
PM a message to MT.
He will ask first if you used the proper size stock.
The lettering appears to indicate the the Z-truck did not raise properly, or the bit assembly was loose. Since I do not know where the actual cutout error is on the project, MT will have to look at that to determine possible flaws.
AskBud

c6craig
04-25-2010, 08:22 PM
PM a message to MT.
He will ask first if you used the proper size stock.
The lettering appears to indicate the the Z-truck did not raise properly, or the bit assembly was loose. Since I do not know where the actual cutout error is on the project, MT will have to look at that to determine possible flaws.
AskBud

Thanks AskBud,

But I don't think I can look to MT for this one. I ran the Shamrock plaque on the same machine 2 days ago and it was fine, I was carving it again because I didn't like the way the finish came out on pine, so I was trying cherry. The board was straight and flat, had masking tape for tracking, and had the extra 3.5 on each side for the rollers. Remember, no trouble with the actual carve or centerline on that project, just the cutting.

And the lettering issue with the "M" was on a different machine on a different project. No bit slip, I checked after it was done and it was fine. Also, if the bit had slipped it would have had issues from then on, but the rest of the project went fine, even other "M"'s.

So the only variable is that I changed my software to 1.163, that's why I suspect it may be the culprit here...

Thanks,
Craig

AskBud
04-25-2010, 08:28 PM
Thanks AskBud,

But I don't think I can look to MT for this one. I ran the Shamrock plaque on the same machine 2 days ago and it was fine, I was carving it again because I didn't like the way the finish came out on pine, so I was trying cherry. The board was straight and flat, had masking tape for tracking, and had the extra 3.5 on each side for the rollers. Remember, no trouble with the actual carve or centerline on that project, just the cutting.

And the lettering issue with the "M" was on a different machine on a different project. No bit slip, I checked after it was done and it was fine. Also, if the bit had slipped it would have had issues from then on, but the rest of the project went fine, even other "M"'s.

So the only variable is that I changed my software to 1.163, that's why I suspect it may be the culprit here...

Thanks,
Craig

In that case, I would send the MPC and the Photos to Support, so they can check it out.
AskBud

c6craig
04-25-2010, 08:32 PM
In that case, I would send the MPC and the Photos to Support, so they can check it out.
AskBud

Thanks, I guess I'll have to. Was just curious if anyone else on 1.163 was having any issues anymore or if they had all been worked out.

I'll try the support route and failing that will revert to older version.

Craig

cmorlier
05-10-2010, 06:24 PM
We should have a fix for this bug in 1.164. It is basically a result of having an inset that cancels out the cutout offset. If the inset were 0.048 instead of 0.063 it would work.

DickB
05-10-2010, 08:05 PM
Was just curious if anyone else on 1.163 was having any issues anymore or if they had all been worked out.

Yup:
http://forum.carvewright.com/showpost.php?p=129447&postcount=22

I wonder if mine is related?

c6craig
05-10-2010, 08:38 PM
We should have a fix for this bug in 1.164. It is basically a result of having an inset that cancels out the cutout offset. If the inset were 0.048 instead of 0.063 it would work.

Thanks Chris,

That is excellent news! Any idea when 1.164 will be available for release?

Thanks,
Craig

cmorlier
05-11-2010, 02:42 PM
We were hoping to have it out this week, but we have a few more bugs we are trying to squash. So it will probably be early next week.

c6craig
05-11-2010, 02:59 PM
We were hoping to have it out this week, but we have a few more bugs we are trying to squash. So it will probably be early next week.

Thanks for the update Chris, I'll look forward to it.

Craig