PDA

View Full Version : Carvewright v Shopbot

Pat D
10-18-2006, 06:09 PM
Hi All:

Besides price, what are the main differences between the Carvewright and a CNC machine such as the Shopbot? Can the Carvewright do things that the Shopbot can't?
Thanks in advance.

bobreda
10-21-2006, 06:40 AM
Pat

I have both. I have the carveright and a 48"PRT shopbot. The first obvisous thing is the size of project you can do in one piece. With my shopbot I could do a project as large as 48x48, some shopbot can go as big as I believe 56x120. You can use a host of different bits and of course bigger bits with the shopbot. I believe its faster in cutting out multiple parts because of this. I use the carveright for carvings, especially smaller ones, however I did one for a church that was 14" wide and 60" long. Its a great machine for the price. The software is another issue. I can use multiple different software for the shopbot and only one for the carveright. But I think the carveright software is easier to use. I can use a jpeg in carveright but not the shopbot. In my opinion they are alot alike in may instances, the carveright does certain things better and so does the shopbot. Now since I totally confused you, someone can chime in!!

Bob

bobreda
10-21-2006, 06:41 AM
Pat

I have both. I have the carveright and a 48"PRT shopbot. The first obvisous thing is the size of project you can do in one piece. With my shopbot I could do a project as large as 48x48, some shopbot can go as big as I believe 56x120. You can use a host of different bits and of course bigger bits with the shopbot. I believe its faster in cutting out multiple parts because of this. I use the carveright for carvings, especially smaller ones, however I did one for a church that was 14" wide and 60" long. Its a great machine for the price. The software is another issue. I can use multiple different software for the shopbot and only one for the carveright. But I think the carveright software is easier to use. I can use a jpeg in carveright but not the shopbot. In my opinion they are alot alike in may instances, the carveright does certain things better and so does the shopbot. Now since I totally confused you, someone can chime in!!

Bob

Aaron B
10-21-2006, 09:26 AM
I looked at both before I bought my CW. The reason I went with the CW was because I wanted to do woodworking, not just sit at a computer and have the machine cut everything out. I don't run a business this is just a hobby for me and I would rather cut my own pieces and work them instead of having something like a ShopBot cut them out and all I do is put them together. Not that there is anything wrong with that its just not what I wanted to do.

I mostly got the CW to enhace my projects or make them a little unique. I think each machine has its place just depends on what you intend to do.

Pat D
10-21-2006, 07:47 PM
Thanks Aaron and Bob. I, most likely, will be purchasing a CW in the near future, just wanted to make sure it's what I need.javascript:emoticon(':shock:')
Shocked

Digitalwoodshop
01-02-2007, 11:27 PM
I saw the Sears Commercial tonight 1/2/07.... Where have I been not seeing it sooner....

Was planning to get a ShopBot in the next year to add to my Laser Engraver / Sublimation, Sign and Tourist product business just getting started but not now..... This will fill my needs nicely.....

AL
Pocono Digital Woodshop
Shohola, PA

cabman67
01-07-2007, 10:56 PM
I'm very interested but with all the neg. feedback..... I'm hoping these are just isolated cases, i'd really love to see one operate in person.
Anyone in MN? that can give me a demo?
Dan

Kurtsara
01-08-2007, 04:40 AM
I'm very interested but with all the neg. feedback..... I'm hoping these are just isolated cases, i'd really love to see one operate in person.
Anyone in MN? that can give me a demo?
Dan

I'm in Princeton if you know where that is

Pepaw
01-08-2007, 05:06 PM
I no longer live in MN. But I know were Princeton is. I did a good deal of Hunting in that area while growing up.

DustMe
01-09-2007, 11:09 AM
Pat

Bob

Bob,

Can the 48" ShopBot do the fine detail carving and longer projects like the CW machine can?

Steve