PDA

View Full Version : Wheat & Weave Bread Box - Project of the Month

mtylerfl
04-24-2010, 01:00 PM
Hello,

Here is a preview of the next Project of the Month, the "Wheat & Weave Bread Box". This is to provide a few details beforehand so subscribers will have time to "gather" the materials, etc. if they want to do this project.

This handsome Bread Box project incorporates a basket-weave and stylized wheat motif for a unique and useful addition to any kitchen! The project features sturdy dado construction and is carved and cut out using just the two bits that were included with your machine - no other bits are required. The finished Bread Box is about 16˝" W x 13" D x 8" H . (The Wheat & Weave Bread Box project also makes a great complimentary piece to the Tea Box project, if you have that one already.)

Main items you will need:

1) The Project Files (included):
• BreadBox_FRONT&REAR.mpc
• BreadBox_SIDES.mpc

2) Boards with the following dimensions:
Front & Rear mpc: .75" x 9.25" x 38"
Sides mpc: .75" x 9.25" x 34"

(NOTE: Do not use boards that are smaller than specified above, or if you are using a sled, you can subtract 7" from the length of the board and have the sled provide the extra 7" required)

Cut the following pieces to size (not mpc’s):
Top Board: .75" x 10.125" x 15.25"
Bottom Shelf: 3/8" Plywood, 11.25" x 15.5"

3) Decorative knob, 4 popsicle sticks, one small birthday candle, gold paint marker

4) Two thin #10 nylon washers, four self-stick vinyl or felt or cork pads, 3/16" dowel

5) Drill, sandpaper, glue, clamps, wood stain and/or paint and clear finish

6) A Dremel-type rotary tool with assorted sanding wheels and bits to sand small details and speed up preparation for finishing.

Here’s what I used on my Wheat & Weave Bread Box made from Select Pine:

- Cabot brand Pre-Stain
- Minwax Golden Pecan stain #245
- one coat Bullseye Amber shellac
- two spray coats of Krylon clear acrylic
- two coats Minwax water-based Satin Polycrylic (brushed on)
- Krylon Gold Leaf Paint Marker on lettering

PCW
04-24-2010, 01:07 PM
Michael,

I like your bread box. I have been putting off signing up for the POM for a long time but I'm in.:mrgreen:

Also going to take advantage of the STL importer sale for $199.00.

mtylerfl
04-24-2010, 01:12 PM
Michael,

I like your bread box. I have been putting off signing up for the POM for a long time but I'm in.:mrgreen:

Also going to take advantage of the STL importer sale for $199.00.

Thank you very much, Dan! I appreciate your encouragement and hope you enjoy all the POM's!

I'm sure you'll enjoy the STL importer too! Great deal on that right now.

dbfletcher
04-24-2010, 01:13 PM
As usual, another great looking POM. I think my subscription runs out this month... guess I'll be needeing to renew soon! Without a doubt some of the best money I have spent on the cw/cc.

Thanks!

Doug Fletcher

lynnfrwd
04-24-2010, 01:32 PM
I want a bread box!!!!

Great job MT!!!

jpaluck
04-24-2010, 01:34 PM
Awsome looking box MT..nice work

b.sumner47
04-24-2010, 01:53 PM
What a beatiful set that 's going to make. Home Run, M T.Once again Thank You. Capt Barry

mtylerfl
04-24-2010, 01:59 PM
Thanks again, everyone! I appreciate your inspiration and feedback.

fwharris
04-24-2010, 02:07 PM
Thanks again, everyone! I appreciate your inspiration and feedback.

Michael,

You must have been spending a lot of over time this month with getting the POM and the spindle upgrade out. Great job on both!!:D

Kenm810
04-24-2010, 02:15 PM
First Class Michael, Another Winner http://forum.carvewright.com/images/icons/icon14.gifhttp://forum.carvewright.com/images/icons/icon14.gif

RayTrek
04-25-2010, 08:01 AM
Michael,
Very cool! You continue to amaze me, not only are your projects beautifully done, they inspire.
I enjoy your imagination brought to life to no end.
Ray

will george
04-25-2010, 09:25 AM
Excellent work!

Could you tell us what wood you used?

Your mix of finishing materials seems a bit strange to me but sure looks nice in the photographs. Please don't get me wrong... 'strange to me', does NOT mean that it is wrong in any way.

I only wonder about the advantage of using clear acrylic under the coats of Polycrylic. I am NOT a big fan of gloss finishes but yours lools beautiful.

Capt Bruce
04-25-2010, 11:17 AM
Michael,
Simply beautiful design and execution. For one who is still just getting his feet wet, do you need to be using the latest Designer software version each time to be able to use the Project of the Month, the "Wheat & Weave Bread Box" project and others going forward? I've been hesitant to upgrade until the bugs are worked out each time and now I note further problem reports even yesterday with the latest. Thanks as always for your input and masterful designs.

mtylerfl
04-25-2010, 03:32 PM
Excellent work!

Could you tell us what wood you used?

Your mix of finishing materials seems a bit strange to me but sure looks nice in the photographs. Please don't get me wrong... 'strange to me', does NOT mean that it is wrong in any way.

I only wonder about the advantage of using clear acrylic under the coats of Polycrylic. I am NOT a big fan of gloss finishes but yours lools beautiful.

Hello will george,

I used Select Pine wood - dry, flat, usually readily available in most user's areas. I think it would look great done in white oak, maple, cherry, mahogany...red oak MIGHT chip due to its very open grain, although I did use a small draft to help guard against that, and would recommend running on "Optimal" for red oak...I used "Best".

Ha! Sometimes I think my combinations are a little strange too! Believe it or not, there is (usually!) some method to my madness.;)

I'm going to do a write-up in the Tips & Tricks on finishing techniques that will present some reasons for applying a finish (layered) in a particular order. (The Bread Box actually becomes a Satin finish the way I did it.)

mtylerfl
04-25-2010, 03:45 PM
Michael,
Simply beautiful design and execution. For one who is still just getting his feet wet, do you need to be using the latest Designer software version each time to be able to use the Project of the Month, the "Wheat & Weave Bread Box" project and others going forward? I've been hesitant to upgrade until the bugs are worked out each time and now I note further problem reports even yesterday with the latest. Thanks as always for your input and masterful designs.

Thanks, Captain!

I created this project using 1.162, but I believe what usually occurs at CarveWright's end, is it automatically converts to the most current software release when the licensing is encoded for the project files. I think you'll be ok to upgrade to 1.163 - seems to be a minor issue with some splines drawn in previous Designer versions, which wouldn't affect this project at all anyway.

You may want to do what many of us do...that is, make a copy/paste of your previous version install (in Program Files) before installing an upgrade. That way, you can run either one you want. (I have copies of a few previous versions, although I don't run the previous ones anymore, I keep them around anyway!)

Capt Bruce
04-26-2010, 09:52 AM
Thanks Michael,

I thought that might be the case with the POM packages. I guess it's about time for me to upgrade Designer and as you noted keep my prior software "versions" under another package name. I think there was a Thread (or 2) addressing just how to accomplish that trick so I'll go back searching in the Forum.

I do appreciate your coaching and handsome work Sir.

liquidguitars
04-26-2010, 09:59 AM
Excellent work!

LG

PCW
05-08-2010, 11:57 AM
Michael,

This being my first project of the month I figured I would post a couple of pictures. I have to say your plan was very thought out and assembled perfect.

I just don't know how you find the time to do all you do and not to mention staying as creative as you are. Good work

http://i361.photobucket.com/albums/oo54/pcwholesale/Carvewright/Carvings/Bread_Box.png

http://i361.photobucket.com/albums/oo54/pcwholesale/Carvewright/Carvings/Bread_Box_2.png

mtylerfl
05-08-2010, 01:44 PM
Michael,
This being my first project of the month I figured I would post a couple of pictures. I have to say your plan was very thought out and assembled perfect.

I just don't know how you find the time to do all you do and not to mention staying as creative as you are. Good work

Thank you, Dan. What a great job on your first POM - I LOVE the woodgrain and the finish you chose that enhances it so well! Thank you for sharing your project photos!

EDIT: I forgot to ask about the chess/checker boards in the background - I assume you made those too?! Nice work! (One of these days I want to design a chess set.)

CarverJerry
05-08-2010, 02:05 PM
Nice job PCW, looks great, love the wood grain & finish. My next thing is joining the carvers club......

CJ

PCW
05-08-2010, 04:58 PM
Nice job PCW, looks great, love the wood grain & finish. My next thing is joining the carvers club......

CJ

Thank You and the project of the month is the best investment I have made in a long time. It is nice not having to lay out you program in designer. For me that is sometimes the hardest thing to do.

All you need to do is load the mpc on the memory card and you are on your way.

EDIT: I forgot to ask about the chess/checker boards in the background - I assume you made those too?! Nice work! (One of these days I want to design a chess set.)

Yes I have 4 of tops done this week. I'm making them for some of the younger members of my family. I still have to do the the bases. They will have a small drawer to store chess pieces. They are made out of mahogany and maple. I want to incorporate some carving in the mahogany bases but not sure what yet.

Here (http://shawnwaite.com/chessbrd/page02.cfm)is a good tutorial if any one is intested in making one. They are very easy to make.

Picture below is just out of the drum sander (80 grit so there is still dust in the grain. Board is 17" square.
http://i361.photobucket.com/albums/oo54/pcwholesale/Carvewright/Carvings/Board.jpg

mtylerfl
05-08-2010, 09:02 PM
Wonderful! Thank you for the link - I think I'm getting the "itch" to build some chessboards!