PDA

View Full Version : Machine modification

jkbogi
04-24-2010, 12:41 PM
I got tired of having the machine head stuck and having to use an allen wrench to lower it. Its difficult to see that tiny hole in a black shaft in a dark area. I removed the side cover. I used a 3/8" coupling nut, drilled out half of the threads and inserted a set screw into the lower half. A short 3/8 bolt was used to extend the shaft above the side cover and a knob attached to the top. The set screw locks onto the flat side of the top of the lead screw. A slot had to be cut into the side cover to allow the bolt to extend through. Now when the head locks, it is easy to just twist the knob to get the head started. I DO NOT use the screw to raise or lower the head for normal operations or try to adjust tension with it.

liquidguitars
04-24-2010, 12:44 PM
good idea!

I using a old chuck off my screwgun to raise mine..

LG

dbfletcher
04-24-2010, 01:08 PM
I got tired of having the machine head stuck and having to use an allen wrench to lower it. Its difficult to see that tiny hole in a black shaft in a dark area. I removed the side cover. I used a 3/8" coupling nut, drilled out half of the threads and inserted a set screw into the lower half. A short 3/8 bolt was used to extend the shaft above the side cover and a knob attached to the top. The set screw locks onto the flat side of the top of the lead screw. A slot had to be cut into the side cover to allow the bolt to extend through. Now when the head locks, it is easy to just twist the knob to get the head started. I DO NOT use the screw to raise or lower the head for normal operations or try to adjust tension with it.

Thats a great idea.... it even look like it as "made" to be that way. Great job!

Doug Fletcher

Kenm810
04-24-2010, 02:11 PM
I like it,

I checked the Rockler Web-Site and they have a choice knobs
and couplers we could use.