PDA

View Full Version : machining aluminum and azak

kenrik
10-18-2006, 07:18 AM

BobHill
10-18-2006, 08:07 AM
Ken,

I've heard that there have been some metal engraving done with the CarveWright, but it's highly not recommended by the CW crew as the workings of the machjne are not protected from the flying metal chips, even if people are. The router motor is 1HP which is well above that of most if not all other CNC routers in the "affordable" range.

Bob Hill
Tampa Florida

BobHill
10-18-2006, 09:22 AM
Ken,

The drive cable is very heavy duty and much more so than that of the Dremel. It's a commercial grade drive system. As I mentioned, the report is that others have used the CW to engrave metal, however, to my knowledge no one has reproted on the results or depth, or whether their machine had any harm due to it. As for what could be harmed, there are loose (but moveable) ribbon cables and electronic connections that aren't all that exposed but certainly aren't protected from metal, as is also the same for the "running" gear. A good shop vac will take care of the sawdust produced very nicely, but if you've ever trid to clean up metal chips with a vacuum, you know that's pretty inadequate for all but the bulk areas. As you'd imagine, the machines are certainly designed in the US and I've seen where a lot of the prototype parts have been custom produced (a shop to drool over). Where the production machines are made, I don't know, but I do know that each one is fully tested prior to transport to any customer.

Bob

cmorlier
10-18-2006, 01:49 PM
Hi Ken,

We do not recommend the machine be used for aluminum. There are two main reasons for this. First, the machine was not designed for metals; so metal chips could short the electronics or jam unprotect mechanical components. Second, the feed rates are automatically determined by the software and are optimized for woods.

nicobie
10-21-2006, 07:45 PM
Hi Ken,

We do not recommend the machine be used for aluminum. There are two main reasons for this. First, the machine was not designed for metals; so metal chips could short the electronics or jam unprotect mechanical components. Second, the feed rates are automatically determined by the software and are optimized for woods.

So even if you chose "high quality" and less than .01" carving depth it's still a no go?

cmorlier
10-22-2006, 04:46 PM
It might work just fine. But because we did not design the machine for handling metals, we cannot recommend that it be used in such a manner.

lloughee
12-14-2006, 06:59 PM
What about ChemMetal Laminates?