PDA

View Full Version : Cutting bit touchoff

earlyrider
04-23-2010, 12:46 AM
After loading the cutting bit, and entering, the CM spins the bit and moves to the keyboard side to do its touch. Even after cleaning out the CM and replacing the brushes, the CM seems to take a long time to get to speed, and is still spinning (though not under power) when it touches down. I've repaired the hole several times.
Question 1: Is there anything that I might be able to repair/replace to solve the CM runup problem(?)?
Question 2: Should I continue to repair the hole? I can mount a polished garnet or ruby in the hole, flush to the normal surface to serve as a non-abrasive and drillproof touchspot for the cutting bit. Any ideas?
After the "touchoff", the machine functions normally.
At the time of the CM cleaning, I replaced the magnet end bearing with a new one (exactly the same), but not the other (didn't have that one in hand). The new bearing spun right, but the other seemed to spin as if it were dry (don't know if I should have added grease or not). No hint of heat damage. Planning to replace this one as soon as possible. Could that cause enough drag to affect the spinup?
Thanks for all suggestions.
Ron

PCW
04-23-2010, 07:46 AM
If you are using a aftermarket chuck make sure it is set into the chuck deep enough. If the bit it is not set deep enough the spindle will not have enough time during spin up to slow down before it hits the bit plate.

I have mine set to just above the flutes.

dbfletcher
04-23-2010, 09:45 AM
This seems to be problematic on some machines. On one of my two, i just hit stop as soon as it starts moving toward the keypad side. When the bit has completely stopped, I hit enter to continue. I was also getting tired of epoxying that hole. Slow me down by a few seconds at start of a project.. but well worth the effort consider the alternative.

Doug Fletcher