PDA

View Full Version : It's stopping halfway through!

laxraxman
04-22-2010, 10:19 AM
This morning I've been making a small run of text-only (10 total letters & numbers), avg run time 6 min per board. On the 5th board the CW stopped carving in the middle of the 6th letter, but the machine kept running as if it were still carving and showed that it completed the run. So I put in a new board and tried again, with the same result - the machine stopped carving in the exact same place. Any ideas? Thanks for your help.

cnsranch
04-22-2010, 10:32 AM
This morning I've been making a small run of text-only (10 total letters & numbers), avg run time 6 min per board. On the 5th board the CW stopped carving in the middle of the 6th letter, but the machine kept running as if it were still carving and showed that it completed the run. So I put in a new board and tried again, with the same result - the machine stopped carving in the exact same place. Any ideas? Thanks for your help.

Some clarification -

You say that the machine keeps running - does that mean that the board is moving, the cutting head is moving, the bit's not spinning - I'm not clear.

laxraxman
04-22-2010, 10:37 AM
Ah - good question. Both times the board was where the CW had stopped carving. I was out of the shop both times so I could not tell if the bit was still turning.

cnsranch
04-22-2010, 10:40 AM
So, it sounds like for some reason the machine decided that the project was done, but it wasn't really finished.

Can you post the MPC?

Can't figure out why it would do ok on four boards, but not the fifth.

SOMETHING had to change between the 4th and 5th run - consider what that may have been as I look at the MPC.

laxraxman
04-22-2010, 10:47 AM
Jerry, I'm gonna sound like a 'tard, but what is a MPC, and how would I post it?

cnsranch
04-22-2010, 10:52 AM
An MPC is the extension Designer puts on the project you design. When you save a project it will save as sign.mpc (or whatever you decided to call it).

When you respond to this, or create a new thread, look down toward the bottom - click on "manage attachments" find your way to where you've saved your project (it's usually here: C:\Program Files\CarveWright\My Projects )

You can then attach it here, and we can take a look.

laxraxman
04-22-2010, 11:16 AM
Ok, here it is!

cnsranch
04-22-2010, 11:19 AM
First question - your Designer board is set at 16" long, and 3.5" wide - is that the size of the real boards you're using?

laxraxman
04-22-2010, 11:22 AM
Well: Since I sent you the MPC I tried once more. Took one of the boards that it quit on, turned it over, and it finished the job in 5:59. So would it be safe to assume that something overheated, perhaps?

laxraxman
04-22-2010, 11:23 AM
Yes sir, that's it.

lynnfrwd
04-22-2010, 11:24 AM
Project looks fine to me. Try re-uploading the project to the memory card. I'm not a technician, but there may have been a power fluctuation the first time that it stopped and that may have corrupted your project file. (I'm just troubleshooting and guessing...you experts don't shoot me down for trying!)

cnsranch
04-22-2010, 11:27 AM
something overheated, perhaps?

No, I was headed toward looking at the real size of the board - I thought that if it was shorter than Designer's, and you told the machine not to scale the project, and to keep it under the rollers, AND you placed the project on the end of the board (all or a combination of those) that could have been causing your problem.

Why it's working now is a mystery.

Really need to ferret out the problem so you don't create any more firewood :mrgreen:

Glad you're back up and running, though.

Here's how to permanently fix your problem:

http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/3/3_8_14.gif (http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001_ZSfox000)

laxraxman
04-22-2010, 12:12 PM
I ran another board thru, and it finished with no problems, so I'm at a loss here. What I do know for certain is that the CW quit after approx 24 minutes of almost continuous running, the MPC file appears to be ok, and the CW resumed running without problem after resting for about 45 minutes. So the only thing that I can assume is that I can't run it for more than 24 minutes without giving it a short rest.

Thank you all for your quick and thoughtful responses. :-D

lynnfrwd
04-22-2010, 01:31 PM
I'm not saying this is your issue, but I like to take these opportunities to share information with EVERYONE!!!!

You mentioned overheating...and I noticed you just joined the forum this month, so I assume you are a new user of a CW/CC. (Welcome!)

Have you lubricated the flexshaft, checked the head pressure, put white lithium grease on the posts?

Even if your machine is BRAND SPANKING NEW from the factory, always do the maintenance when you first get the machine and RELIGIOUSLY after that. Keep in mind, Head Pressure can get knocked out of whack in shipping. Plus, you never know how long a machine has been in storage and whether or not the lubricant has dried out.

Icutone2
04-22-2010, 01:33 PM
Try checking for a loose L2 coil, works for me.
Lee

laxraxman
04-22-2010, 02:22 PM
I just purchased a used (about 3 run hours only) CW, and started using it on Monday. I have not lubed, checked, or performed any type of maintenance on it yet. Like many, I imagine, I was too excited to do anything else but see what I could make with it right away. I've already picked up a little job, which should entail no more than 2 hours runtime. Can I wait to perform these tasks, or should I get to them quickly? By the way, I have absolutely no mechanical competence, abilities, insights, or otherwise. The left side of my brain hasn't worked for years. Hopefully I will be able to figure how to do these things. :confused:

alan.galbraith
04-22-2010, 02:36 PM
laxraxman,

Do the upgrade and the maintenance. I just ordered the z bundle and a reconditioned z truck (recond is the only way to get a new z truck without the QC). the z bundle upgrade is $100, $40 dollar rebate when you return the old motor. same goes for the z truck $100, $40 rebate when you return the old one. I am also ordering the rock chuck. I finally gave in.

cnsranch
04-22-2010, 02:40 PM
By the way, I have absolutely no mechanical competence, abilities, insights, or otherwise.

As Mr. Bill would say,

"Ohh Noo"

WHATEVER you do, make absolutely SURE your Quick Chuck is perfectly clean EVERYTIME you change /replace/remove a bit. And make sure you are CERTAIN that the bit and adapter is installed properly before spinning the machine up. If you don't, you're in for trouble - you will shell out the QC, and then you're screwed.

Also, GET THE FLEXSHAFT PROPERLY LUBED, AND KEEP IT THAT WAY!! A quick test of the shaft is to place your hand lightly on the bend of the shaft - if you can feel some heat, that's ok. But if it's more than warm, YOU'RE SCREWED AGAIN.

(Yes, I'm yelling).

Keep the machine clean, clean, clean.

The two main vulnerable points are the QC and the Flexshaft.

Spend some time and go theu the forum re those two items, and all else will probably fall into place for you, but DO NOT IGNORE MAINTENANCE!!!

cnsranch
04-22-2010, 02:47 PM
after approx 24 minutes of almost continuous running

No worries - I'm not the only one who's had the machine run for over 9 hours straight.

atauer
04-22-2010, 02:57 PM
No worries - I'm not the only one who's had the machine run for over 9 hours straight.

Nope. I remember that one of our senior members ran a project for almost 24 hours...

Whether that project has been completed or not is a different story though. He was able to finish the carving, but his finish guy is slow...