PDA

View Full Version : Cribbage Board

shaddy
10-15-2006, 03:28 AM
OK... here's whay I was drilling all those holes. I'm so used to CorelDRAW that I had a lot of trouble. I ended up using the copy-offset for every hole on there. I made the layout in corel, then I figured out the distance between holes and entered that in the offset boxes. I copied groups of holes where applicible.

I designed this from scratch in Corel, so it's all mine (no copywright stuff) so feel free to use it, I only ask that you report back and tell me how you made it, and what improvements you made.

I tried to make a radius, but I'm not sure I used the route function correctly. Can someone take a look? I'm also not sure how I'm supposed to make the cut line so it lines up with the outer radius of the roundover.

The dog is just an example of where to put a graphic.

How would you have gone about making the holes?

Shaddy

Aaron B
10-15-2006, 06:43 AM
I tried to make a radius, but I'm not sure I used the route function correctly. Can someone take a look? I'm also not sure how I'm supposed to make the cut line so it lines up with the outer radius of the roundover.

Shaddy

When you do cut outline, click the flip cut button once. That will get you more of a roundover but it will NOT cut on the outside of the roundover, you will still lose some of it. If you wanted it all you would need to draw a seperate rectangle for your cut outline.

Matthew
10-17-2006, 11:27 AM
Shaddy,

Very nice! I'm planning on creating a cribbage board after I become more comfortable with the system. I'm planning to use it as a project to practice grouping and patterns. I should be able to learn a lot from your project. Any suggestions for handling the alignment of holes in the turns?

And here I didn't think anyone outside of my family even remembered what cribbage was! :D

shaddy
10-17-2006, 11:46 AM
I didn't do it the correct way. I used CorelDRAW and looked at a hole, then used the relative X Y distance away to figure out where the next hole went (Copy-offset in CW). So each hole could be defined relatively to the first hole I placed.

The reason I did that was because I needed it to exactly match Corel, because I have a laser engraver as well and want to drill the holes with the carve wright, then laser the lines and numbers (and image).

I'm still pretty new to the software, and I've been using Corel nearly every day for a couple years... so I'm having trouble learning new things.

If CW was able to import vectors, I could have grouped all the holes in corel and exported, that would have saved me a whole evening (c;

Here's one I made, but I lasered a template and used a drill press and a self centering drill bit (my arm was SORE, could have done it in an hour if I used CW). Then I lasered the rest. (yes, that's a warewolf holding a severed head, a friend drew it and I put it on there for my nephew)

Shaddy
http://www.shaddysengraving.com/gallery/albums/userpics/10001/LaserCribbage.jpg

BobHill
10-17-2006, 12:40 PM
Shaddy,

Was the reason you didn't assign a depth to the words (START, WINNER, SCORE) on your original cribbage board (download) that you intended to use the laser for that or did you Select Bit (90 V-Groove) with no depth for another reason? Also being relatively new to designing in CW Designer, I thought you had to assign a depth to all cutting.

I also am a long time CorelDraw user (since version 1.02 with floppies and EPS clipart), and wish CW Designer would accept vector directly from Corel (or Illustrator, for that matter .. or AutoCad as well).

Bob

shaddy
10-17-2006, 05:27 PM
Shaddy,

Was the reason you didn't assign a depth to the words (START, WINNER, SCORE) on your original cribbage board (download) that you intended to use the laser for that or did you Select Bit (90 V-Groove) with no depth for another reason? Also being relatively new to designing in CW Designer, I thought you had to assign a depth to all cutting.
Bob

I plan on lasering, but I wanted you guys to see where I intended to start and finish. The no depth was an accident... although I haven't vcarved yet and might not have assigned a depth anyway. But thanks for the heads up for when I try it.

Yes, importing Corel files would be wonderful.

Shaddy

BobHill
10-17-2006, 05:52 PM
Thanks for the information, Shaddy. I need all the information I can get to conquer this design thing, and I sure don't have it all yet either, by any stretch of the imagination.

Bob

Jimmygee
10-18-2006, 12:32 PM
I am very new to the cw as well as the software. Thanks for posting the board. How do you make, or purchase the pegs for the game?
Thanks
Jimmy

shaddy
10-18-2006, 03:10 PM
You can get the pegs at www.rockler.com (or rocklerpro.com if you have a business license and sign up for a slight discount) Just search for cribbage there.

One thing I'm not sure of. CW said 1/8 is as small as i can go, can just tell CW I have a drill bit of one size, but then put in another?

Ir does CW need to use the 1/8 cutting bit to make the holes? Just wondering because 1/8 might be too large.

Shaddy

BobHill
10-18-2006, 06:37 PM
Shaddy,

At the present time, the 1/8" stright bit is the smallest they have which is why they say that. If you have something smaller that will fit the quick release coller, then you can use it, I'm sure, especially if just used for drilling. But then like all products where you are outside the recommendations, it harm comes, the results accompanying it are on your shoulders completely.

Bob

pkunk
10-18-2006, 09:39 PM
Shaddy, you COULD drill a smaller hole, but not with a 'drill' bit. It would have to be a router bit of the size that you wanted the hole to be and then in Designer, spec the 1/8".

metalman32060
09-30-2007, 08:28 PM
Shaddy,
I have seen your cribbage board on another site, unfortunatly can't remember which one. But it had the Corel file for download, I have been working on my first project and really wanted to do this for my father, he's an avid cribbage player. May not have been the best way to do it but I layed out the drill pattern as individual holes using the dimentions on the corel file I downloaded, took about two hours and I'm sure there may be a better way. I will post what I have come up with so far, mabye I can get some feedback. I plan on engraving a masons symbol were the werewolf (not sure thats really his thing) and I am in the process of purchasing some of the smaller bits that RJustice came out with for the smaller lines and hopefully the lettering and numbers. Also I believe that 1/8 inch is a standard hole size for most cribbage pegs.

pkunk
09-30-2007, 09:54 PM
I've been making these backgammon tournament scoreboards for a fella, & he uses the 1/8" cribbage pegs in my 1/8" holes just fine.