PDA

View Full Version : carving star pattern

Dan-Woodman
10-14-2006, 04:18 PM
OK Bobhill or anyone just read about the guitar body great stuff.

Maybe you can help me with a star problem.
I want to carve the star pattern in the software,but I want to make it 20x20 . so I thought I would use two boards 10x20 and carve half the star on each.
My question is can you carve half a pattern on the board with the other half off the board?

Dan-Woodman
10-14-2006, 04:24 PM
just an additional note the software accepted everything I did even as far as uploading the pattern to memory card,but I haven"t started the machine yet.

Dan-Woodman
10-15-2006, 08:39 AM
sometimes you just have to go for it and hope for the best.
I pushed the start button and the half star came out perfect
you can carve a pattern with half of the pattern off the board , the machine carves to the edge of the board just like you put it on the board in the software.
I'll carve the second piece and then glue the two halfs together for the full star of 20"

BobHill
10-15-2006, 09:13 AM
Sure you can, Dan. In fact, I'd highly recommend doing it in different portions if you wish to make very large "engraved" type signs. Especially easy to "register" the parts after they are cut by first cutting and marking the bottom "face" for biscuits. But it would be pretty hard to do that with the star as I'd make it.

I's take the "star 01" apart in designer so it would have five cut pieces which then would be glued together after cut out by CarveWright.

This also allows you to assign each "point" of the starwith the same alighnment of grain which would give it a lot more character than if it was able to be cut from a single board as is. The accuracy of the CW would also assure that the joints would "fit" properly for gluing if designed properly. Note that when you blow the "star 01" to proper size, the tips are not pointed, which actually makes this NOT a true star. I'd correct that, but to do so would take some designing in something like CorelDraw and/or PhotoShop.

Bob

BobHill
10-16-2006, 08:54 PM
I updated the PDF and added other images for the Star.

Bob

Dan-Woodman
10-17-2006, 03:30 PM
Thanks so much bob, I'll give it a shot.

BobHill
10-17-2006, 04:51 PM
Dan,

I'm not so sure about the carving shades as I've done them, as that's still pretty new for me to come up with a reliable cutting curve using shades of grey, but if you use the pattern dimensions on page 4 of the PDF (although you might have to change the tip to make it blunt like the Library Star), you could use the vector tools (Connecting Lines tool) and those dimensions to act as your star cut out of a single designer star point, then make fivc of them to put together. By using one point you also will be able to use the same grain alignment for each point which will give you a very nice wood pattern.

Bob

Greybeard
10-18-2006, 05:44 PM
Hi Bob.
I think you might like this alternative method to produce a grey scaled shape in coreldraw.
I took your star segment as a starting point ( though I use a different way to generate it).
Add guidelines, horizontal and vertical through the points.
Fill black, and delete the outline.
Using the "Transform" roll up, scale to 1%, apply to duplicate.
Using "Arrange/Order" menu, order to front the new small segment.
Fill white and delete outline.
Select both, and using the "Effects/Blend" menu, blend with 20 steps or 40 steps.
Export as jpeg.

Comments please. If you like to post me another shape I'll see if I can work towards a general method.

Regards
John

Dan-Woodman
10-18-2006, 06:20 PM
Thanks guys for all the help
What my friend is telling me now is , she would like the middle of each point to be the high spot to the middle, with flat sides from the middle,straight down to the edges. In other words the vertical light in the last picture would be sharp edge tapering on each side down to the edge of the star.

BobHill
10-18-2006, 06:55 PM
Very nice, John.

Bob

Wouldn't John's star points work for you friend, Dan?

Bob

Greybeard
10-19-2006, 03:09 AM
Lke so ? :D

Align the two star points to "bottom", then perform the "40 step" blend.

John