PDA

View Full Version : Lumber - Just curious.

Router-Jim
04-17-2010, 08:42 AM
As I was doing a glueup this morning I realized how lucky I am to live close to a good sawmill and kiln service . I got to wondering if there is any interest in glued up panels 14 1/2" x 20" ( or whatever)?

Just thinking out loud but maybe priced something like $15 + shipping for a squared/planed panel that would be machine ready. Species would be cherry, walnut, maple amoung others.

If there is a need or interest I may persue this further.

Dumb idea or not? :confused:

Kenm810
04-17-2010, 09:21 AM
Happily I have all the Saws, Planers, and Surface Sanders to do Glue-Ups to nearly any size I need.
But I've read lots of post about folks out there are missing one or more of the tools or machines to do their own,
and may be very greatfull to find someone willing and able to offer to do that part of there project for them at a reasonable price.
I know I would, -- several of the projects I draw up every month would be nearly impossible to do if weren't
for all the other machines and tools I use in my shop before any 14" x 24" project board makes it to my Carver. :wink:

bjbethke
04-17-2010, 10:53 AM
As I was doing a glueup this morning I realized how lucky I am to live close to a good sawmill and kiln service . I got to wondering if there is any interest in glued up panels 14 1/2" x 20" ( or whatever)?

Just thinking out loud but maybe priced something like $15 + shipping for a squared/planed panel that would be machine ready. Species would be cherry, walnut, maple amoung others.

If there is a need or interest I may persue this further.

Dumb idea or not? :confused:
I think that sounds good, $15.00 for a 3 Sq ft finished board is a good price, may be a little low. The problem is the shipping. You and the customer will not know that cost till the package is ready to be shipped. You may need to have a flat rate for shipping.

USPS has a free box 14x12x3 that I use some times, the cost for shipping was $11.95 a few months ago. I picked up a few more boxes this week, it is $14 something dollars now. You could ship up to four 3/4 inch 12x14 panels for that price.

UPS may have a better deal. There insurance is free for the first $100.00, and they have free tracking.

I find the customer wants to know the complete price before they OK the sale.