PDA

View Full Version : Question about the bit adaptors

wgrecco
04-17-2010, 03:14 AM
To all,

I will start off by saying I am very new to the CW machine as well as this forum and this is my first post.

I am a little confused about the bit adaptors.... I read somewhere that there are different size adaptors. If this is the case, what is the difference between the sizes? Do I need both sizes or just one? Is one size used for something that the other is not?

I have only a couple hours of carve on the machine and already one of my adaptors broke tonight (on the cutting bit). I saw on ebay people are selling just the adaptors without the bits. Would I benefit from buying extra of the adaptors or is it better to just buy the complete bit/adaptor from Lowes or Sears for example.

Sorry if these seem like stupid questions, but I am trying to understand the difference... Im still a NEWBIE!

Thanks for all the anticipated assistance.
Wayne

Wilbur
04-17-2010, 07:42 AM
Hello and welcome

The bit adaptors are to hold 1/2" bits and one to hold 1/4" bits. The 1/4" is mostly used. If you use a 1/2" & 1/4" bits you will need both.

I have never had an adaptors to brake but I guess that one could. Did the set screw come loose?

Before I bought any extras I would buy the rock chuck. This will put a stop to any problems with the QC or adaptors.

I have two machines and run the rock on both.

If you do this some times in the future I would suggest that you get the 1/2" chuck with the 1/4" sleeve. This way you can use both bits, the 1/4" & 1/2"

I would not stock up on adaptors, I would buy the bit with adaptor.

Wilbur

Kenm810
04-17-2010, 07:46 AM
Wayne,

Welcome to the CW Forum

The CW and CC Machine's Quick Change Chucks both use 1/4" and 1/2" bits, so you will need Bit Adapters to fit both sizes.
Lots of folks keep adapters on some or all of their bits or just a few extras for back-up.
Others Like myself have bought or made after market chucks like the (Rock made by 'Ron' Rjustice http://www.cw-parts.com (http://www.cw-parts.com/)) to replace the QC Chuck with good results.
CarveWright is also coming out with a new chuck to replace the QCC, you can read a lot more on the Forum to help you decide which will work best for you.
A few forum searchs " QC Chuck" or "Rock Chuck" will will give you several post to read.

Router-Jim
04-17-2010, 08:22 AM
Has anyone heard whether the new improved QC is going to use the existing adapters? :confused:

Digitalwoodshop
04-17-2010, 12:41 PM
That answer is still classified.... Need to Know..... Snicker....

No one has posted any details about the new QC. There are some here that are testing it but no details.

I am happy with the Rock.

AL

wgrecco
04-17-2010, 03:35 PM
Thanks for the quick replies. I guess I am still confused as to why there is a need for the two different sized adaptors. I bought the 11 piece bit set and havent used any of them yet... so are they 1/2", 1/4" or a mixture?

Sorry guys, not trying to sound stupid here..

Kenm810
04-17-2010, 04:31 PM
A full set of CW Bits Includes 6 bits that use the 1/4" CW QC Chuck Adapters
and 5 Bits that use the 1/2" CW QC Chuck Adapters
It's a mixture of 1/4" and 1/2" Shank Bits

mtylerfl
04-17-2010, 04:57 PM
Has anyone heard whether the new improved QC is going to use the existing adapters? :confused:

You will not use any of the existing adapters if you upgrade to the new spindle/chuck system.