PDA

View Full Version : Thanks John Paluck

Deolman
04-17-2010, 02:19 AM
at www.carvemore.com for the pattern. I have done several small projects, but this project is one I think is worth sharing with my friends. My wife did the painting and of course I did the finishing. This was presented to a special friend this evening as a gift. I wish I could have done better on the photography to really show off my wife's labors.

http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc105/Deolman/Fishing.jpg

jpaluck
04-17-2010, 03:02 AM
Deolman

Wow nice looking...nice to see the pattern carved and finshed so well

robbrigg2
04-17-2010, 07:55 AM
Very very nice..

Kenm810
04-17-2010, 08:12 AM
Great Looking Project!

You and Your Wife did a find Job http://forum.carvewright.com/images/icons/icon14.gifhttp://forum.carvewright.com/images/icons/icon14.gif

CarverJerry
04-17-2010, 08:55 AM
That really came out great. Nice paint job as well. I'm sure your friend will love it.

will george
04-17-2010, 10:02 AM
Thanks for the link. I have saved to favorites..
I need to look at your information on using ZBRUSH. I have ZBrush but frankly... I'm lost trying to use it. I 'think' that I know what many of the controls are for BUT I am NOT an artist so using them never seems to do what I think, I thought, would be the outcome.

My grandaughter can use zbrush well and I ask her to show me how to do things. She just gets frustrated with my lack of artistic skills. She is a sweet woman BUT way too excitable. She just makes me laugh by her frustration at my zbrush skills. I bought her ZBRUSH to play with at Art School.

By the way.. Great prices for you patterns. I'll have to look around and see if I need anything you have.

I 'took' your free Greenman pattern. It will be PERFECT for the side panels of a Treasure Chest I am now working on for my oldest daughter. I have some 'birdseye' maple that should be perfect for texture on the carvings. Birdseye tends to chip out in various places but still hold much of the detail. I think it will turn out very pretty...

Thanks a 'bunch' for the free pattern.

And tell your wife from me... Great paint job! As a old wood and metal scale model maker, I can paint detailed work, but I do not like the 'painting'. I only enjoy the 'making'.... Painting takes much skill to make all the colors match and requires a steady hand AND alot of patience. I have patience while cutting metal or wood but for some reason I loose it while holding a paint brush. I have no idea why I do that? I do NOT think painting is a menial chore.

b.sumner47
04-17-2010, 03:47 PM
Wow, that pop's out. Very nice. Capt Barry.

fwharris
04-17-2010, 04:32 PM
at www.carvemore.com for the pattern. I have done several small projects, but this project is one I think is worth sharing with my friends. My wife did the painting and of course I did the finishing. This was presented to a special friend this evening as a gift. I wish I could have done better on the photography to really show off my wife's labors.

http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc105/Deolman/Fishing.jpg

Deolman,

Fantastic job for both of you! Painting looks great and I like the added plaque.

I have carved several of John's fly fishing plaques and each has been recieved with great joy. Patterns are well worth the price..:D

mtylerfl
04-17-2010, 05:07 PM
Deolman, that is a super nice project! Excellent job on the painting and finishing (great, in fact!). That bent fishing pole motif that John created is just so cool!:cool:

Deolman
04-17-2010, 07:26 PM
Thanks to all for the great encouragement. I am headed into this forum with my third year starting now and to be honest with you, there is a little bit of effort from each and every one of you on this forum in a project like this. It really is a community effort, one way or another.

RayTrek
04-18-2010, 05:06 PM
Beautiful! Outstanding team work.

jpaluck
04-18-2010, 11:10 PM
Seeing that pattern carved and finished so well inspired me for yet another fishing pattern..besides I am getting ready to leave in couple weeks and do some actual fishing...been tying flies all winter and making patterns...gonna try and carve and finish this before I take off to fish..

fwharris
04-18-2010, 11:37 PM
Seeing that pattern carved and finished so well inspired me for yet another fishing pattern..besides I am getting ready to leave in couple weeks and do some actual fishing...been tying flies all winter and making patterns...gonna try and carve and finish this before I take off to fish..

John,

Another great job! Looks like that is a keeper for sure!

Good luck on the fish trip!!

liquidguitars
04-19-2010, 01:09 AM
John,
Very Cool!

Deolman
04-19-2010, 02:22 AM
John, it looks good, we will watch to see how it plays out. - Parry

ajk
04-19-2010, 04:44 PM
Very Beautiful Job
Hilda

jpaluck
04-20-2010, 09:05 PM
Man is it time to fish...I got it bad..Can't tie anymore flies...LOL probably have enough for 3 seasons...anyways here is another fishing pattern..calling it Evening Hatch...hope the flies fall like this when its real fish time..

MT if you look at this this one the one I was talking with you about depth perception..gonna make a top half to this with a bear hugging a tree..bottom under water top above ground is the depth perception I am shooting for.

LG I figured out why the stl importer kept crashing...had to be files size...after coming out of zbrush I go back to Max to convert to STL. The file coming out of zbrush is crazy big...turned the geometry down a hair in Max no detail lost and bang it works like a champ

mtylerfl
04-20-2010, 09:30 PM
John,

That's a fantastic job! Can't wait to see the tree-hugging bear above the water. The depth perception/perspective might be challenging, but I am confident you'll nail it. Excellent work!

fwharris
04-20-2010, 09:59 PM
Man is it time to fish...I got it bad..Can't tie anymore flies...LOL probably have enough for 3 seasons...anyways here is another fishing pattern..calling it Evening Hatch...hope the flies fall like this when its real fish time..

MT if you look at this this one the one I was talking with you about depth perception..gonna make a top half to this with a bear hugging a tree..bottom under water top above ground is the depth perception I am shooting for.

LG I figured out why the stl importer kept crashing...had to be files size...after coming out of zbrush I go back to Max to convert to STL. The file coming out of zbrush is crazy big...turned the geometry down a hair in Max no detail lost and bang it works like a champ

John,

Glad to see you found your crash problem. This looks great!

You get line and I'll get a pole.. do da do da!!:D

Deolman
04-20-2010, 11:18 PM
Hey john, you can send me some of your extra flys. Maybe I could try them out on the Madison and see if they might work for you.

jpaluck
04-21-2010, 01:22 AM
Deloman

Your killing me here on the east coast my friend..seing that your in Utah figured you'd be killing with the Green...we use small fly's here in the east. Me mostly nymphs and streamers...like dry's but good hatches are few far an inbetween here..besides you always seem to get more under the water and bigger...dying to go out west..may june probably got a friend in CO

Deolman
04-21-2010, 12:11 PM
Speaking of the green, there is an ATV Jamboree in Green River, Utah next week. We have already paid our fees and plan on being there. I don't know if there will be time for fishing, but we will see. BTW, the Madison River is the the river flowing out of the west side of Yellowstone.

Digitalwoodshop
04-21-2010, 12:38 PM
John,

Excellent work as always..... Good Luck Fishing.

Remember you have a open invitation here to fish when you like.

3 days before opening day of Trout Season I see that I had a REEL Problem with my Fishing Rod... Someone decided to start a family on the front porch.... Looks like it is off to the store to buy a new fishing rod for the season.....

AL

Eagle Hollow
04-21-2010, 01:24 PM
You're a good man, Al. Saving the baby birds!

jpaluck
04-21-2010, 05:51 PM
Speaking of the green, there is an ATV Jamboree in Green River, Utah next week. We have already paid our fees and plan on being there. I don't know if there will be time for fishing, but we will see. BTW, the Madison River is the the river flowing out of the west side of Yellowstone.

Yep I Fished it..got a real good friend that lives in Bozeman.

Al gonna take you up..probably 1st or 2nd week in May..definitly gonna hit the lackawaxen

jpaluck
04-22-2010, 01:03 AM
Not a fishing pattern but I been on a pattern making roll lately...god I love it when I have the time it's addicting as carving to me..Now I gotta start carving some of these..hopefully this weekend.

This one is the best I have ever gotton to a face without "burning " the photo into the model..modelling and sculpting only. I used a photo as a reference...this one was tricky because the main shape is dish shaped (sink's in) so it was challenging. Might make a cool looking clock or just a wall hanging

Eagle Hollow
04-22-2010, 08:03 AM
John,

That is an awesome pattern! Will it be available? PM me on the price!

Keep designing, man, your patterns are impressive!

jpaluck
04-22-2010, 11:56 AM
Jerry

Yep gonna be available..I was thinking $12.00..sound fair? I have a whole bunch of new patterns to upload...just gotta stop being lazy and put them up..LOL

chebytrk
04-22-2010, 12:55 PM
Count me in to buy the pattern!

toocwhatisaw
04-22-2010, 01:01 PM
i like that hurry and put it up for sale $12.. is very fair. wish i could carve it today.

jpaluck
04-22-2010, 02:11 PM
ok

gonna put it up right now...gotta stop being lazy..LOL..thanks guys

chebytrk
04-22-2010, 02:39 PM
Not a fishing pattern but I been on a pattern making roll lately...god I love it when I have the time it's addicting as carving to me..Now I gotta start carving some of these..hopefully this weekend.

This one is the best I have ever gotton to a face without "burning " the photo into the model..modelling and sculpting only. I used a photo as a reference...this one was tricky because the main shape is dish shaped (sink's in) so it was challenging. Might make a cool looking clock or just a wall hanging

All you have to do is come up with the Indian Maiden design that faces this one and you can sell as a set. :)

cnsranch
04-22-2010, 02:49 PM
I was thinking $12.00..sound fair?

Do we get a discount for telling you how great your patterns are, and that you're 'da man, etc?

jpaluck
04-22-2010, 02:50 PM
lol..I thought 12 bucks was good...lol...thanks for the comps

Eagle Hollow
04-22-2010, 03:00 PM
More than fair. Count me in.

jpaluck
04-22-2010, 03:22 PM
Ok guys..just put it up and the two fishing patterns...thanks for the nice comments..I try to keep the prices fair..this way more of hobby than a business for me...like I said it's as addicting making these patterns as it is carving.

Love the idea about the indian maiden..

here are the links to the patterns

http://carvemore.com/store/Native%20American%20Design%201.html

http://carvemore.com/store/Evening%20Hatch%20River%20Bottom.html

http://carvemore.com/store/%20Fly%20Fishing%202%20Welcom%20Sign.html

fwharris
04-23-2010, 12:14 AM

The lacquer is still wet but could not resist taking the picture of John's trout welcome pattern.

Carved in pine, stained with golden pecan, painted with acrylic and top coat of clear lacquer.

Thanks John for being a fisherman who makes great fishing theme patterns!! :D

PCW
04-23-2010, 07:53 AM
Beautiful job on both of your parts.

FH unreal how fast you put this together. John uploaded one evening and you have it carved and painted the next morning. I love it.

mtylerfl
04-23-2010, 08:38 AM
FW, that is fantastic! Man, you ARE fast!

(Great patterns, John!!)

fwharris
04-23-2010, 10:35 AM
Dan and Michael,

Thanks for the compliments!

This is one pattern I really liked :D and thought it was worth the extra hours to get it carved up and finished to show everyone. I really enjoy these themed type pattern/designs that John creates.

Next one is gong to be the river bottom scene. Might take a bit longer on this one as it had a lot more detail in the scene. I also need to buy some more paint colors. I've tried mixing my own colors and have lots of failed blobs of paint before I get the colors I want.. hit and miss most of the time.

TerryT
04-23-2010, 10:43 AM
John,
That is a great pattern. FW's rendition of it is really, really good! Great team work.

liquidguitars
04-24-2010, 01:12 AM
Very nice in deed! good work!

LG

fwharris
04-24-2010, 02:12 AM
Terry and LG,

Thanks for the comments! Fun stuff to do! Pleasure to carve John's patterns!

Gee, some one posted not related to the new spindle!! LOL

jpaluck
04-28-2010, 11:30 PM
Finished the top of the fish pattern..at .75 it's about 10x13 gonna slice this one to go a little bigger...been home 3 days with the flu...might be able to squeak one more day to play some more

SharonB
04-29-2010, 12:30 AM
Everytime you post a new pattern I keep saying "It can't get any better" and then you post the next one. I'm going to have to come out of retirement and get a job so I can purchase your patterns. And I really like the way you finished this one.

mtylerfl
04-29-2010, 10:44 AM
Finished the top of the fish pattern..at .75 it's about 10x13 gonna slice this one to go a little bigger...been home 3 days with the flu...might be able to squeak one more day to play some more

John, that is absolutely wonderful. What a great pattern!

liquidguitars
04-29-2010, 10:48 AM

So Nice!

LG

fwharris
04-29-2010, 12:25 PM

John,

Looking great!!! Pattern making must be great medicine for the flu...

I'm having a hard time keeping up with you!!! Still painting the first river bottom pattern.....

Old Salt
04-29-2010, 08:19 PM
You just keep geting better !
I think the train pattern is great the detail is wonderful. Have carved many sizes all look good.
Keep us going, we love to see your work.

earlyrider
04-29-2010, 11:06 PM
John, great looking pattern! Just wondering if you can add canines into the lowers? As one who loves teeth, I'd like to see them even if you couldn't see them clearly in the original photo.
Ron

Ike
04-30-2010, 12:02 AM
John thanks for your help in my mule patterns. Sorry I am so dumb I can't give you a close vector pattern!

Ike

jpaluck
04-30-2010, 12:17 AM
Ike

the vector thing is a pain in the ***...vector magic is the cloesest I have come

Ike
04-30-2010, 12:21 AM
Ike

the vector thing is a pain in the ***...vector magic is the cloesest I have come

Corel is all I have and have videos on how to use it and still have problems! I have the ones HT made and the ones I did with Corel so I hope they will work?

Ike

jpaluck
04-30-2010, 12:36 AM
ron

good thought...i though about that too...not sure if they will show up w CW

fwharris
04-30-2010, 03:58 PM
I carved this in a 1" stair tread board to get maximum depth and size for the pattern. Sized at 17x12 and depth at .750. I added the rope boarder, thought it helped frame it.

Carved with optim. setting 11.5 hours

Kenm810
04-30-2010, 05:44 PM
Great Paint and Finish Job,
the little extra carving depth makes it look much more realistic. http://forum.carvewright.com/images/icons/icon14.gif

TIMCOSBY
04-30-2010, 10:18 PM

really like this one.

mtylerfl
04-30-2010, 11:02 PM
I carved this in a 1" stair tread board to get maximum depth and size for the pattern. Sized at 17x12 and depth at .750. I added the rope boarder, thought it helped frame it.

Carved with optim. setting 11.5 hours

Fantastic finishing as is your usual, FW! Great work!

fwharris
05-01-2010, 09:59 AM
Ken, Tim & Michael,

This was a fun one with a bit of a challenge. The extra thickness does help with bringing out more detail in the pattern. Of course the way John set this up was a big part of it. My work was probably the easy part..

Thanks!

eelamb
05-01-2010, 09:49 PM
very nice FW, thanks for sharing.

fwharris
05-05-2010, 11:36 AM
This is John's river bottom hatch with top pattern.

Again carved in 1" stair tread. The bear is stained with walnut and frame in cherry..Everything else is acrylic painted...

Really like the frame that John put on this. It adds that fishing touch to the whole project..

Even cooler is I've hooked a guy for this one buy just showing him the carve before finishing it!!

CarverJerry
05-05-2010, 11:46 AM
Nice Job FWH, really like how you finished it off. Thanks for sharing.

CJ