PDA

View Full Version : need help and mind is not working right now

temler
04-15-2010, 10:02 PM
Sorry to ask for help and i am sure it is on here some where I have read all the post several times but i can't remember how to do the following. I have done it many times before but i don't have time to wait till it comes back to me. My pain has been really bad so i have had to take a lot of meds and that doesn't help anything I have all most everything else listed so i can search for what i want and find it when the brain is not working all the time I know if i had an extra day or two i could get it but please help me, i have to get this done for my daughters benefit, her friends are throwing it for her to help pay for the chemo for her 5th round of chemo. so i need to get this done for the silent auction, the sign i put on her for you to look at is not the correct sign i am doing but i through it together so you could help me figure it out. Okay what i want to do is break this 144" long by 11.75" high sign up into thirds, so how do i cut it apart into three different mpc so i can carve them separately and put them back together later, i know when i cut them i have to be on the opposite side of the line so i will not lose the cutting bit worth of design. So tell me how to cut this sign into 41 X 11.75 slices and then i need to know how to put that on a board that is 48" long that way i have the extra 7 inches. Help please. I hope this makes sense, the big thing i i don't remember how to take part of an MPC and just use that part on another MPC. kind of like copy and paste, brain is not working at all. please help soon
Thank you so much for all your help. sorry i had to ask for help.
Tim The mindless friend in carving. :mrgreen::mrgreen:

www.go3d.us
04-16-2010, 01:37 AM
Here is what I did. I saved the file 4 time and name each file as part 1 - 4. Then for each file 2 - 4, I select all and move everything horizontally (remove vertical attachment first) using horizontal attachment as a guide. When carve select stay under roller if you have extra 7".
Hope this help and good luck with the carve.
HT

TIMCOSBY
04-16-2010, 01:38 AM
i would carve the individual items as cutouts and glue them onto a new 144" board. a whole lot less headache but cost 1 more board. i would also test carve some of the patterns like the horse heads dont know if they will look good or not.

TIMCOSBY
04-16-2010, 01:43 AM
cut out and glued on....even at 6' long.

temler
04-16-2010, 08:06 AM
thanks to all but still think headed I think i understand. so just what is left on the board is all that is going to be carved. that make sense. Okay here we go i am going to try it today. i hope it works. I would show the real project i am working on but i was asked by the friend that gave me the pattern not to post it on the internet, i could use it but not publish it. I will send picture when all done, I hope it brings a lot at the auction, they decided to put this in the live auction instead of the silent auction, it might bring more money that way.
Thanks for all the help.
Tim
:mrgreen:
one more thing I would of used one long board and glue on but have not done that before and i don't have a wormy Maple board that long, all the boards i have are 42" or less long, Might look good with a oak board with the maple board for all the items on it. If i do this the original way by using 4 different cut and then but together later with fastener on the back. Do you think it will be to thin and warp. there is only 1/8" wood on most of the back where there is no carving.
Thanks again for everything

c6craig
04-16-2010, 08:09 AM
Good luck Tim, I hope it comes out great and brings in a good chunk of money. Here's to some action at the auction! 8)

Craig

www.go3d.us
04-16-2010, 01:55 PM
One thing I might suggest is that the rectangle carve region is too deep leaving the board too thin. Your board is .797" and the carve region is .65", that didn't leave much after the carve. You might want to set the carve region to .4" or .5".
I also thing carving each pattern individually and glue it on a big board is a great idea, if you have enough boards that is a good route.

Thanks.
HT

temler
04-20-2010, 07:36 PM
hi all it is me again

i got the whole sign done on designer and it is just what i want but i am having problems i saved it in 4 different file then i did everything go3d said to do but when i upload the file to carve it says it will take 39 hours to carve and that is what it takes to carve the whole carved out 144" region and the one item so what my problem is that i can get rid of all the other items once i put them in another file but can't get rid of the carve region and how to i get the board setting down to the new board size.
why is the one portion of the sign that i have taken everything off but the one item and the carve region, why is the carve time so long. What am i doing wrong can you please look at the beginning post of this thread. can you give me more ideas or tell me what i am doing wrong. I hate pain killers but i hate pain more.
Thanks all
Tim