PDA

View Full Version : Z going down too far

hess
04-15-2010, 12:34 PM
on the keypad side and snapping bits on the bit plate only when doing multiple carves any one have ideas. I cant get the search to take any way I enter it

mtylerfl
04-15-2010, 03:10 PM
on the keypad side and snapping bits on the bit plate only when doing multiple carves any one have ideas. I cant get the search to take any way I enter it

Hello Hess,

Not sure that we have enough information to go on...

1) Can you share the scenario of what exactly happens when a bit is snapping? (cutting bit...carving bit?)

2) Are you using the QC or some other chuck? (For example, the Rock sticks out too far from the spindle and seems to generate more frequent z-errors than other chucks.)

3) Have you verified the bit is seated properly/firmly, in whatever chuck you are using?

4) Have you checked belt tension, z-truck bearings, etc?

5) Could you clarify the statement "only when doing multiple carves" - not sure what you mean by that.

EDIT: still guessing at things to ask and things for you to check, but...
6) Just thought of another question...are you using CarveWright bits, or some other bit? I recall someone using "other" bits... length was too far off spec and was having z-problems (can't recall if the bit was too short or if it was too long???)

Let us know more details to see if anyone here can nail the problem you are having.

hess
04-15-2010, 05:01 PM
Thanks Mike
there is a guy on the other forum having problem I have referred him here as the other site looks dead:confused: here is his question

Can anybody body help me about that? When i do a multiple bit job everything is fine for the first part, normally carving at first, but when the machine ask for the second bit, the z truck goes to the very far left to verify the bit height and the machine goes too low . The bit hits the buttom of the machine with violence. It breaks my cutting bits doing that. I would appreciate any hint.

bjbethke
04-15-2010, 05:17 PM
Hess - Do you have the 1/2 inch Rock Chuck? I found that I get a Z truck error if I use a stop collar on my carving and cutting bit. I found if these two bits stick out more than an inch and 1/8" it hits the bit plate hard and gives me an error, I haven't snapped any bits.

Digitalwoodshop
04-15-2010, 07:18 PM
Sorry about your trouble...

Things to check.

Any chance you have the old 16 pin Z? This is a CLASSIC Z Nose Dive into a board fault..... See Pictures...

OR

Head is not level. Place a wide board in machine, crank down head and with a bit touch the left and right side of board while checking the Z Data numbers.

Z Encoder is full of black dust.

Z Belt is loose on the back of the Z Truck, 2 screws are loose. Hold belt try to move head up and down to check.

Dust in the cogs of the Z, when it wants to go up, it hits a bump and does not go up all the way. Next down goes down too far....

AL