PDA

View Full Version : Any good "whoops" mistakes out there? Here's mine.

Dhaffner
04-15-2010, 10:21 AM
I thought I'd be nice and make a sign for a local festival. It's a Morel Mushroom Festival and Auction. I whipped up a design, carved it at about 72" long...and started painting. I was so happy that the mushrooms turned out great that I overlooked one little thing I'd missed all the way back in Designer. My brother was kind enough to point it out before I tried to present it to the festival coordinators. Anybody want to buy some musrooms? Apparently I was on some.

How about you? Any of you have any great "whoops" mistakes? Did you get all the way to paint like I did? Please share. It'll make my pain less as I re-do this sign.

dbfletcher
04-15-2010, 10:31 AM
I thought I'd be nice and make a sign for a local festival. It's a Morel Mushroom Festival and Auction. I whipped up a design, carved it at about 72" long...and started painting. I was so happy that the mushrooms turned out great that I overlooked one little thing I'd missed all the way back in Designer. My brother was kind enough to point it out before I tried to present it to the festival coordinators. Anybody want to buy some musrooms? Apparently I was on some.

How about you? Any of you have any great "whoops" mistakes? Did you get all the way to paint like I did? Please share. It'll make my pain less as I re-do this sign.

I'm betting most of us have done this. I did a whole bunch of halloween signs last year. I was just so proud of myself for the way they came out.... untill I showed them to a friend and they pointed out several errors in spelling I had made. (also after all the painting and finishing has been completed) Sometimes our eyes just see what we want them to see. :( Unfortuantely, I dont have pics because they have been sacrificed to the fire gods long ago. I hate having reminders of my stupidity laying around!

Doug Fletcher

c6craig
04-15-2010, 10:33 AM
I'm sure it doesn't make you feel any better, but that is a great looking sign. I love the painting and colors :)

Craig

robbrigg2
04-15-2010, 11:31 AM
O how I feel your pain. I did this on a sign I made for a Karate Studio. Solid oak it was and big... and one stupid letter ruined it for me (not me you understand, it was the letter that did the dirty work).

I also have failed to center things in a design and ended up with beautiful carvings that are way out of kilter...

sorry I don't have a picture...

But I will say that sign is a beauty none-the-less! Great color scheme!

TerryT
04-15-2010, 11:32 AM
I agree with Craig. What a shame, the sign is itself is gorgeous and very professional looking. Damn little shroom devils.

LittleRedWoodshop
Apparently the word Celler has an "A" in it.

oldjoe
Carvewright wishlist add spell check to designer!!
I still put things upside down on the back of the board from time to time.
A wiseman once told me "Show me a man the never makes a mistake. And I will show you a man that doesn't do anything."

mark1945
04-15-2010, 12:01 PM
I have had way more then I like to remember. Most have been missing letters or not centered .Only thing that kind of saves me is I make pens. Most of my goofups get sliced and diced into pen blanks,unless they dont leave enough wood even for that.

FINGERS
04-15-2010, 02:58 PM
OMG! Nice paint job anyway, you got some nuggets to post this one.:oops:

FINGERS
04-15-2010, 03:15 PM
I made a sign for a guy who sold fruit and vegatables at the flee market and his name is moldy so I carved the sign ( MOLDY VEGATABLE'S) AND HE LOVED IT.

mtylerfl
04-15-2010, 03:22 PM
Dang - it is so BEAUTIFUL! Perhaps you could save it by doing something like this...;)

cnsranch
04-15-2010, 04:22 PM
That's cool, MT -
How about you put the "H" on a mushroom, it'll look like it's growing out of the sign!!!

LeatherMan
04-15-2010, 04:35 PM
I'm glad I'm not the only one! I have a problem of doing thing backwards... Or should I say forwards?... I make little embossing plates for leather. I keep forgetting to flip the little buggers in Designer BEFORE I carve! When you turn the plate over to emboss onto the leather.... it needs to be backwards..... Right? :) Did I mention I need to "INVERT" them too?.....

Nice sign though! Great colors!

hess
04-15-2010, 05:06 PM
Still looks great and if you eat just one you wont care those taste sooo good

Dhaffner
04-15-2010, 08:35 PM
Way to make that H from scratch! I decided to use it as an opportunity to redesign the sign a little...and to experiment with the carving depths a bit. I've learned more from the mistakes than anything else...so it's all good. I've hung the mistake in the workshop as a reminder....spellcheck twice, carve once.

Ike
04-16-2010, 12:03 AM

Ah if I had a dollar for every missed spelled word! I would be rich! I am happy to get through a fair without any mistakes! Funny you look at it and your mind tells you it is spelled correct so you go with it!

I have misspelled a word on a commercial sign before I believe it was a 2' by 4' double sided sign and yes both sides!

So I have the wife double check my signs! I know it doesn't help, but you are in good company!

Ike

Dhaffner
04-16-2010, 12:29 AM
Ok, so it's fixed...now I gotta repaint.
I'm so happy I could throw a festivel...I mean festivol...oh boy...

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/tcr1XoF2ePiIpcZdIlPieg?feat=directlink

RMarkey
04-16-2010, 12:10 PM
You could always start with all your text in a spell-checking program, like "Microsoft Word", then copy-and-paste into the text tool in Carvewright.

Capt Bruce
04-17-2010, 10:12 AM
Right up there with the misspelled "Quality Assurence Department" sign I saw a few weeks ago. None of the staff seemed to notice it so who was I to point it out. And my all time favorite and sometimes Avatar

will george
04-17-2010, 10:21 AM
I made a sign for a guy who sold fruit and vegatables at the flee market and his name is moldy so I carved the sign ( MOLDY VEGATABLE'S) AND HE LOVED IT.

THAT WAS REALLY FUNNY! Sure made my day a good one. Everybody needs a good belly laugh at least once a day!

liquidguitars
04-17-2010, 02:54 PM
When I was working at a company called Wavefront technologies on a new program call Maya 3D the VP of the programing department ask me to to input some commands in the unix shell, I was having a hard time spelling a command and i just froze at the Keyboard, He took me to lunch that day and explained that his top programmer could not spell at all and do not feel bad, I am very thankfull for spell checkers.. :mrgreen:

LG

earlyrider
04-17-2010, 11:04 PM
Though not related to spelling or carving, one of my employees (in the fossil preparation business) had superglued her hand to a fossil fish slab ( too large to move by herself) just as everyone else had left for lunch. The debonder was just out of her reach. Couldn't move or reach her own lunch. It was a long lunch break!
Yes, we did 'rescue' her, after the photos.;)
Ron

Fletcher
04-17-2010, 11:36 PM
I have forgotten to mirror text in a mold cavity before... Just like what Leatherman said, the words come out backwards on the molded part. I watched it being machined and was thinking "that engraving looks really good" - too good I suppose.

Dhaffner
04-18-2010, 01:38 AM
Well,
I took the opportunity to redesign it since I screwed it up...and this one only took about half the time to get painted. Maybe now I can go hunt some of the darn things....

Kenm810
04-18-2010, 08:46 AM
Really Great Job!
I like the second one even better than the first. :wink:

Ike
04-19-2010, 10:12 PM
Here is a funny opps! The city of Arab Alabama was suppose to be Arad named after the founders son Arad Thompson. So the founder sent in three names for the town to Washington and they mistook the "D" for a "B" and since it was too much red ink to correct it stayed Arab!

http://marshallcountyonline.tripod.com/arabhistory.html

Yes the new sign looks great! well done on the finishing!

Ike

CarverJerry
04-20-2010, 08:03 AM
Don't feel alone, I think we've all made at least little mistakes to only catch it after it's done. Things like loosing power during a carve then trying to recarve it and not getting it to pick up exactly where it should have or just forgetting to put certain things into the design that was talked about. I just looked at the designer program and didn't see a spell checker, maybe that could be put on our wish list for up coming updates.

TerryT
04-20-2010, 08:36 AM
Or.... putting the hinge mortises on the wrong side of the door or lid and having to re-carve the door?

Old Salt
04-20-2010, 07:39 PM
take a look at tiny spell free for some low cost for best. works with carvewright

spalted
04-22-2010, 09:20 PM
Ok ok, go ahead......say it "I told you so!"

Just pulled a 4 hour carve out of the machine, nice looking piece of kindling if I do say so myself.

All because I decided I didn't need to stay under the rollers.

Now that board that was "just perfect" but a couple inches to short is burning nicely in the wood stove.

I guess I should have listened, I have read it a hundred time, "always keep the board under both rollers".

IM2HAPPI
04-24-2010, 08:20 AM
The sign looks great. Im heading up tomorrow for our annual month long hunt. Love living in Mi this time of year.

Kenm810
04-24-2010, 11:35 AM
Hi Barb,

Just wanted to wish you a good month long Shroom Hunting Expedition, http://forum.carvewright.com/images/icons/icon14.gif
The unseasonably warm temperatures this year may have sparked an early season.

IM2HAPPI
04-24-2010, 01:07 PM
Thanks Ken.....Everything is 2 weeks early this year, sure hope I didnt miss out on the blacks, thinking I didnt. Theres always the whites, grays and yellow ones left to fill my freezer.

PCW
04-24-2010, 01:11 PM
Hi Barb,

I'm up near Alpena and the picking has been pretty slow however in a couple of days it should start improving. Good luck on your hunting.

IM2HAPPI
04-25-2010, 11:25 AM
Dan thanks for the N Mi update lol I almost feel like Im on one of the mushroom sites.

LittleRedWoodshop
04-25-2010, 09:20 PM
The mushrooms look good ... but the sign looks great, good job Doug.