PDA

View Full Version : guitar body cutout

fozziebo
10-13-2006, 03:36 PM
While waiting on my recent order I decided to play with the software and learn a little. Attached is a little project that taught me some of the limitations of this machine. I guess I was hoping it was more of a 3d machining tool than a carver. Reading the posts, i can see that the ability to import .dwg/.dfx files is eagerly awaited. Add me to that list!!! The precision needed to layout the various cuts/routs for a guitar body are better handled by CAD/CAM software. Oh well, I'll still have lots of fun with it in the meantime!!! I've posted the project to see if anyone out there could add the level of precision needed to make this a practical design.

BobHill
10-13-2006, 06:04 PM
I've changed the outline of the guitar to a standard path without using the splines, thus a lot fewer points and then Hide Cut-Out on the Cutout Path. Eliminated the splines.

Aaron B
10-13-2006, 08:25 PM
I've changed the outline of the guitar to a standard path without using the splines, thus a lot fewer points and then Hide Cut-Out on the Cutout Path. Eliminated the splines.

Bob, how did you do that out of curiousity? The outline to a standard path I mean.
Thanks

BobHill
10-13-2006, 09:17 PM
Hi Aaron,

I used the outline of the spline tool (not selected) of the original and went around it with the Connected Line Tool. (Select the path to visualize). Then use the Change Form tool and click on the line (not a node). when the center node turns green, pull to the proper arc. You may have to move the Point Node (red) at times to get the right arc. Once you've finished the path, Select Bit (1/" straight) to the path, Cut Path, Hide Cut-Out. Now from the Carving list on your left, click on Spline 3 and DELETE when you have it selected. The body is also 13/4" thick, so instead of just tracing the outline to cut it out with a band saw (since the CarveWright will only cut to 1" deep, I'd make a reverse pattern of the outline so you could cut from both sides and completely do it on the CarveWright.

You can do the same thing (although I didn't) to the neck space as well, instead of using the Spline tool.

I've added a PDF step by step tutor on how I did it. Others may have a different way of doing it as well.

The full PDF is over 2mb in size, but if anyone wishes that so as to be able to fully zoom in on the drawings better without pixelation (as it does with this one), just contact me at listed email letter and as long as your email server will allow files over 2mb in size, I'll send it to you.

Bob

fozziebo
10-14-2006, 06:40 PM
Wow!!! This is what I was hoping for!!!! The help on this board is going to be the most valuable asset to this machine!!! Thanks Bob...your work is greatly appreciated....i look forward to all of your posts here!!! The tutorial is above and beyond.....there seems to be no help in the software about how to use the utility tools.

bo

cajunpen
10-14-2006, 09:48 PM
isnt the board too large? I thought that 12" was the largest you could use - I noticed that the boaard for the guitar is 15 x 24. Just wondering

Jimmygee
10-14-2006, 10:17 PM
Bob,
I could not dl your pdf file for some reason. And it appears that it would contain some very usefull info for me in some of the things I would like to do. Could you e-mail me it at jtguisinger@msn.com ?
Thanks
Jimmy

BobHill
10-15-2006, 10:07 AM
Bill,

I believe you'll find that although a maximum width of 14.5" is recommended, that the actual maximum width limit is 15".

Bob

BobHill
10-15-2006, 01:43 PM
Jim,

The PDF file is Acrobat version 7, which is the newest version. If you don't have version 7 you won't be able to open it. If that's the case, then go to http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/readstep2.html and Download Acrobat Reader 7 (free) and use that. That should do it for you.

Bob