PDA

View Full Version : Broke the Spindle Square Tool

Creekwood
04-14-2010, 01:13 PM
I have not been having good luck lately with my CW.
I burn up the bearing on the z-truck.
So in trying to replace the chuck on the new z-truck to replace with my original rock chuck, I broke the Spindle Square Tool.
I did apply heat, maybe not enough, but in any case I can't seem to get in touch with CW-Parts? When I tried to e-mail on CW hyper-link it did not go thru?
I wrote a message on CW's forum (Carvespot) about 1/2 hour ago, may need to wait a little longer.
But I thought of posting this on Carvewrights forum, I have always gotten quick responses!

Any thoughts?

robbrigg2
04-14-2010, 01:28 PM
I have not been having good luck lately with my CW.
I burn up the bearing on the z-truck.
So in trying to replace the chuck on the new z-truck to replace with my original rock chuck, I broke the Spindle Square Tool.
I did apply heat, maybe not enough, but in any case I can't seem to get in touch with CW-Parts? When I tried to e-mail on CW hyper-link it did not go thru?
I wrote a message on CW's forum (Carvespot) about 1/2 hour ago, may need to wait a little longer.
But I thought of posting this on Carvewrights forum, I have always gotten quick responses!

Any thoughts?

I don't know if you have a harbor freights around your area but I've seen them there (take your old one with you). You might also try an auto parts store I've seen something like it there also. The other option is get one from Ron's site he has some.

Creekwood
04-14-2010, 01:33 PM
Thank you, I wish I had a Harbor Freight nearby, we live in the upper mountains of GA.
I really need to get in touch with CW-Parts to see what my options are?

JDPratt
04-14-2010, 01:35 PM
Ron makes some great tools for this, but inevitably these things break. Rather than spend the extra money and time in shipping I went to Sears and bought a 3/16" flat tip screwdriver which has a square shaft (Craftsman screwdriver model 41581 Y WF). It was $3.00 IIRC. I cut off the tip and ground the square shaft a little to give it a taper to fit into the spindle. Voila! spindle square tool. You still need to use heat but it works like a charm. Seat the "screwdriver into the spindle using the handle, grasp the shaft of the new square spindle tool with some vise-grips just above the top of the hat (I found it easier and less likely to strip the spindle by just taking the hat off). Then use the normal method for removing the chuck.

Creekwood
04-14-2010, 01:43 PM
Thank you, I am glad I thought of that!!!

robbrigg2
04-14-2010, 01:46 PM
Now there's an idea I never thunk of! Thanks JD

Creekwood
04-14-2010, 01:58 PM
you know when i ordered the new Z-truck I should of seen if CW would either credit the chuck or send it separately

rjustice
04-15-2010, 05:37 PM
you know when i ordered the new Z-truck I should of seen if CW would either credit the chuck or send it separately

Creekwood, they have done this in the past, so it is worth asking. I have been receiving emails through the link, so i am not sure why it wouldnt go through. Are you clicking the link below in my signature, or the one on the website?

Thanks,

Ron