PDA

View Full Version : Editing Images :(:(:(:(

nissinxx
04-14-2010, 08:47 AM
I'm trying to edit some images and when I import in It really looks like crap!!!!
So what I'm asking is whats the best way to create a good pattern from the image. designer ? or use photo edit software then import it to designer ? I tried that to with no good luck. any advice would be greatly appreciated..
Thanks.

mtylerfl
04-14-2010, 09:35 AM
I'm trying to edit some images and when I import in It really looks like crap!!!!
So what I'm asking is whats the best way to create a good pattern from the image. designer ? or use photo edit software then import it to designer ? I tried that to with no good luck. any advice would be greatly appreciated..
Thanks.

Hello,

Many approaches can be taken, but the quality of the photo to begin with, has everything to do with the outcome. Manual editing of a photo in a photo editor can help, albeit, it can be tedious work depending upon the photo itself.

I did write a Tips & Tricks about some basic photo editing techniques using the Carvewright Pattern Editor (PE). The PE software comes included with your Scanning Probe (or can be purchased separately, but I always recommend getting the Probe/Software package - much better value, I believe).

Here's a link to the Tips & Tricks article:

ISSUE 11 August 2008 – The Pattern Editor – De-Noise and Quantize (http://www.carvewright.com/downloads/tips/CarveWrightTips&Tricks_Aug08.pdf)

robbrigg2
04-14-2010, 10:52 AM
Start with a photo that is around 450 x 450 or larger.

Import into something like Photoshop. Make sure that the DPI is set to 300. Convert the image to Greyscale.
Depending on how light or dark the image is you might need to adjust the contrast a little.
Add Gaussian Blur at between 1 - 1.5
Inver the image to a negative (sometimes this is necessary other times it's not)
save the file as a Png
Import it into designer.

There is another way depending on what you are trying to achieve.

Bring the image into Adobe Illustrator (if you have it)
Use the trace tool located on the top right (select the Photo High Definition setting)
you will loose some but it will convert the image into a vector (you can also change the color channels to include more colors which increases the definition)
Now you can save as png and bring it into Designer or back into photoshop where you agian convert to greyscale
Use the gaussian blur tool 1 - 1.5 is usually best
you use the gaussian blur (this can be done from AI as well but It's easier to expaln from photoshop)
invert the colors (on the image adjustment tab)
save as a PNG
bring into designer

Hope this helps

AskBud
04-14-2010, 10:57 AM
Here is a reply that I posted to David a while back. It has lots of lessons/tutorials for you to review.
AskBud
http://forum.carvewright.com/showpost.php?p=124796&postcount=3