PDA

View Full Version : Aah that felt good.

Router-Jim
04-13-2010, 04:41 PM
I had to stick up for the CC/CW on another forum.

PaulJohnstone said:
These things seem to have a bad track record.
I don't mean to bash them, I know some people love them.

A lot of people on the DIY CNC forums started with a CompuCarve (or looked at them) and realized they just weren't that good.

These things are about 2k.. You can DIY a larger CNC for about 2500-3000. Even if it's marked down to 1k, do you want to deal with the expense of repairing it constantly? Even the fans of the machine mention all the constant repairs that need to be done.

Plus, the "store model" is often a returned item, which might mean it's already broken and returned by another customer.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Router-Jim replied:
Your statement begs for a respone.

I've been a Compucarve/CarveWright owner for over three years. In fact I now have three machines and have logged probably close to 1000 carving hours. My total repair bill has consisted of a new feed belt...about $45 IIRC and that was because I inadvertently used a board with a void on the bottom side. I have also wore out the flex shaft on one machine....about $75.

My secret? Well I read the manual three times before I started using the machine, I clean them pretty religiously, and I have a good understanding of how the machines work. I really don't think that's asking to much for any machine but to each their own I guess.
I also only load straight jointed boards or use a straight squared up jig. GIGO

As for building your own CNC, if you have the technical ability then by all means go for it. If you're looking to save money by building your own, then I caution you to rework your figures because I have read horror stories from some who have went that route and have spent more than I have on three machine and they still are not operating. In the meantime each of my machines has not only paid for itself but has contributed to other shop purchases.

Lastly I have never heard of a store putting a return unit on display, at least not a Sears store. They are given specific display models for that purpose.

No hard feelings, just wanting to set the facts straight for others who may be reading this from someone who has logged a lot of hours actually using one.
Jim

http://www.forums.woodnet.net/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=4836404&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=7&fpart=1&vc=1#Post4836404

I feel better now. :lol:

Deolman
04-13-2010, 05:48 PM
Sometimes, if ya got an itch, ya just hav to scratch it.

mark1945
04-13-2010, 07:47 PM
I have to second your statement,I have about 1000 hours on my 3 machines too.Have changed out 1 set of belts and 1 power supply both on my oldest machine.Had to change out a couple of QC's Before I gave up on them and modified 2 eliminator chucks for my 2 oldest machines.And have now a Muscle Chuck on my newest machine.Its similar to Eliminator except for the bit locking system is totally a new design and much better. Doing these changes have all but eliminated any problems with my machines,less vibration less build up of heat,much better carving. Almost zero clean up in optimum setting.

Router-Jim
04-13-2010, 08:22 PM
I guess I just get tired of people who give negative opinions of this or any other machine that they have never even used. :roll:

Digitalwoodshop
04-13-2010, 08:48 PM
Makes em feel good since the machine kicked there butt.... And they could not fix it... It is something they CAN DO..... Pi$$ and Moan to anyone that will listen....

Why don't they come here for HELP.....

Yes, the machine needs a few of the known fixes.... Once you make the fixes and follow the procedures in tips and tricks you have a great HOBBY GRADE MACHINE.....

NO you can't have a $12K Professional CNC for $2K..... That Tooth Ferry thing ain't going to happen either....

Yes, it Pi$$'s me off too.... They got there feelings hurt... Booo Hooooo.

They whipped out that Credit Card because it was EASY.... Using and Maintaining the Machine takes SKILL, Patience, and the ability to Read the HELP OFFERED. Tips and TRicks and the Forum...

AL

liquidguitars
04-13-2010, 11:11 PM
I have a feeling that our continued Help and love for the product has helped reduce negative energy a little :)

LG

oldjoe
04-15-2010, 11:43 AM
For what I paid I still love my machine and had small issues. But LHR has been great to deal with. Just wish I had more work for it.
Oh I watched a $250,000 laser go up in flames one day because some how a fitting came loose. So everything has its problems.