PDA

View Full Version : E-Mail

Tom75
04-13-2010, 01:37 PM
hi all i just checked my e-mail and a had some one asking me about what i have in stock and if they would be able to sell and a few other qustions . not sausr if a spammer hacker or what to think i beleave i got this e-mail accidently . if one of the mods or one of the carve wright emplyees could pm me i will try to cut and past the e-mail for them to look at . just trying to keep things on the safe side . all have a good day

roughcut
04-13-2010, 02:00 PM
Got the same e-mail I deleted it . might be on the level but I am not in the sale end of CW so I seen no reason to reply

Digitalwoodshop
04-13-2010, 02:06 PM
Sounds like a email Farming.... Looking for active email addresses when YOU REPLY. When you click on a persons name and you can send a PM or email.... With sending a email, it does NOT show your address.... They only get it when you reply.

Tom75, I just clicked on your name and you have your user set to receive a email from anyone reading this forum. I could have just sent you a email with a offer for Beach Front Swamp Land in Alaska...

Someone could easily go through the user directory and send anyone a email SPAM.

Always view email with extreme caution.... If it is too good to be true, it's BOGUS.....

I have won the Nicaraguan Lottery 2000 times this year.... Ya Right.... If you are "Gullible" your dead meat...

If REvern Frank (Spelled WRONG) offers to Buy 6000 Wooden Crosses made on your CW and offer to pay with a Check made out for 3 times the purchase price and they say to cash the check and send the extra money to a Western Union Office in Nicaragua. It's most likely BOGUS... and that check you cashed will come back to bite you from your bank.

You are safer setting your account to only accept PM's from this site.

Personally, I delete unopened a dozen emails a day that look bogus or from my friends that have a Video or Power Point Slide Show that I just must SEE.... If it does not make me money as in Business email, or email that I am expecting.... It gets trashed..... Can I live without seeing the 200th picture email of the USS NEW YORK CITY made with 911 Steel.... YES.... I can live without it....

In that 200 times... Just one Computer Killing Program and I am in Business Trouble....

My Brother has a problem with his Hotmail Account... It was hacked by one of the bad email downloads and every week it sends out email's to every user in his directory. Calls and email to Hotmail results in zero help.... Cleaning Programs, changing passwords have not fixed it.....

My suggestion was to put a 1 in front of every email address in his directory. He deletes the 1 when sending a real email. Now once a week he gets a Send FAIL message with all the addresses....

It pays to be careful.

AL

What is a phishing scam? It's an e-mail sent to you and hundreds of thousands of others with a message that tries to trick you into revealing sensitive personal information, such as passwords, banking information, your Social Security number, your mother's maiden name, your date of birth and more. The attack is waged against you in an attempt to hijack your assets, steal your identity or even open credit card accounts in your name.

The plea in the e-mail may try to warn you of danger, offer you something for free or entice you with sexy or nude photos or videos of famous people. As phishers become smarter, they are creating more believable scenarios. No matter the ploy, they all have one thing in common: They want you to click on a link or download a file. Don't do it!

Savvy users learn how to spot the e-mail messages sent by phishers and scammers. While some of them are tough to weed out, almost all of them will contain one or more clues that it's a scam. You just have to know what to look for.

Top 5 clues for spotting an e-mail scam:

Clue No. 1: Check the spelling
Scammers are notorious for their lack of basic spelling and grammar skills. Look for misspelled words and incomplete or awkwardly written sentences. It's not uncommon for a scam e-mail that is purportedly from a reputable and well known organization to misspell the name of that organization! For example, one e-mail scam aimed at Facebook users spelled the name of the site in lowercase ("facebook").

Clue No. 2: Who signed it?
If it's a legitimate e-mail from a business, it will be signed with a person's name and contact information, but if it signs off with something vague, such as "Customer Support," be wary.

Clue No. 3: DOES THE E-MAIL SCREAM AT YOU IN ALL CAPS?
Be especially aware of e-mails that try to get your attention by using all capital letters, especially in the subject line. Using all caps has long been viewed as online shouting. It just isn't done. The authors of scam e-mails tend to write prose that is over-the-top and very emotional. In addition to a lot of capital letters, look for an excess of exclamation points and dire warnings, such as "Urgent!" or "Danger!"

Clue No. 4: The e-mail has an executable attachment
Phishers can only scam you if you let them. And you do just that if you download e-mail attachments, which can contain computer viruses. Since a favorite way to send a scam e-mail is by making it look as if it were sent to you by someone in your e-mail address book, don't be fooled by the sender's name. Never download an attachment unless you are sure it's legitimate.

Clue No. 5: The e-mail has a link to a Web site
As more people have learned they shouldn't download attachments from strangers, scammers have caught on. Instead of attaching a file, they include a clickable link to a Web site. Click on that link, and you might be asked to provide personal information. Do it, and you've been scammed. For example, you might receive an e-mail that appears to be from your bank, offering you a very low interest rate on a mortgage or home equity loan. If you click on the link, it could ask your name, bank account number and online banking password to get onto the site. Don't ever provide this information if you got on the site by clicking a link in an e-mail.

One final word of advice: Never, ever respond to a spam e-mail. By doing so you confirm your e-mail account is active, and you'll likely be inundated with more spam.

cnsranch
04-13-2010, 02:33 PM
Great advice, AW, thanks.

Icutone2
04-13-2010, 02:53 PM
Got the same E mail deleted it also!
Lee

Digitalwoodshop
04-13-2010, 03:01 PM
Another of the 1-800 Work At Home Newspaper Ad's Found some smuck working in his basement supplying the active email addresses to the Nicaragua Food Chain... Thinking he is doing a good thing..... Getting PAID.....

AL

eelamb
04-13-2010, 03:36 PM
Al this also applies to anyone on here with a web site. Never put your email on a page. If I want to show my email address I write a short java, such as a=myemail, and b=domain name then just rebuild it as email: c=a+@+b.
If anyone is interested I will send them the acutal code I use.
Spiders harvest email address from web site, thus spammers get your email address that way.

eelamb
04-13-2010, 04:15 PM
Here is the code used to hide your email on your web site, yet allow them to click on it.

EMAIL: 
<script language=javascript>

<!--

var contact = "your name"

var email = "email name"

var emailHost = "your domain name.com"

document.write("<a href=" + "mail" + "to:" + email + "@" + emailHost+ ">" + contact + "</a>" + ".")

//-->

</script>

Hope this comes through without a problem.

fwharris
04-13-2010, 06:17 PM
hi all i just checked my e-mail and a had some one asking me about what i have in stock and if they would be able to sell and a few other qustions . not sausr if a spammer hacker or what to think i beleave i got this e-mail accidently . if one of the mods or one of the carve wright emplyees could pm me i will try to cut and past the e-mail for them to look at . just trying to keep things on the safe side . all have a good day

I have also gotten a couple of these. All from the same guy "frank munoz". Each was asking for CW items that I do not have posted on my site and if I accepted credit cards. I did reply back stating that I did not sell these items.

Will be adding him to my spammers list for sure.

EDIT: Just finished reading all of Al's response, GREAT ADVICE! I go one step further when I get one of those disguised emails that looks like my bank or credit cards companies. Of course I do not reply or click on any of the links. I forward the email to the companies phishing support team for them to chase after.

Tom75
04-13-2010, 06:23 PM
thank you all for the respons . and i will change my settings for pm only . thank you for all addvice . Tom H.

LittleRedWoodshop
04-14-2010, 12:27 AM
I got the same email ... does that mean that the emails were harvested from this forum.

Digitalwoodshop
04-14-2010, 09:54 AM
I got the same email ... does that mean that the emails were harvested from this forum.

Only if you reply to the email. Sending a email from within the Forum does NOT show your email address. Only when you reply do they now have a FISH on the line.

If a few people submit the name that is sending this SPAM to a moderator. They can delete the user.

AL

lynnfrwd
04-14-2010, 10:34 AM
He should be gone.

Everyone, please let us know if any more of these emails are received. The sooner we know about it, the easier they are to find.

atauer
04-14-2010, 11:02 AM
Yes, he should be gone. I'm checking a few more things, just to be sure.

Anytime you get an unsolicited email from someone you do not know, always be careful in opening any attachments, and always be hesitant to respond. If you have doubts about the email, it is probably spam.

If anyone receives any more emails like this from this user, or from any other users, please bring it to our attention, so we can get it taken care of.

Tom75
04-14-2010, 11:33 AM
thank you every one i did Delete it .