PDA

View Full Version : carousel horse

eelamb
04-11-2010, 08:33 PM
Looking for a carousel horse pattern. Anyone have one, or have one on your website for sale?

AskBud
04-11-2010, 08:43 PM
Looking for a carousel horse pattern. Anyone have one, or have one on your website for sale?

http://store.carvewright.com/search.php?mode=search&page=1
AskBud

bjbethke
04-12-2010, 12:20 AM
Will this work for you?

chebytrk
04-12-2010, 08:43 AM
Will this work for you?

As I look at the pic of the horse and everything, I notice that inside all of the lines there appears to be "pock marks". What causes this and can this be gotten rid of? Just wondering.........

robbrigg2
04-12-2010, 09:38 AM
As I look at the pic of the horse and everything, I notice that inside all of the lines there appears to be "pock marks". What causes this and can this be gotten rid of? Just wondering.........

I don't see them, but on my own patterns I found them when I was making patterns straight from a jpg and converting to png. I've learned, at least with some of them, that I need to import them into AI and convert them to a vector image. Vector images are fully scaleable and they are uniform. They get the nice clean lines with no variation in line color. Even though an image looks like it has a clean black line around the image if it is not vectorized it actually has pixels of varying shades which create the "dimples". Don't know if this helps but I tried

robbrigg2
04-12-2010, 11:52 AM
Here is my contribution hope it helps

http://www.mediafire.com/file/j1dmykljkvz/Carousel_Horse.ptn

butch 4195
04-12-2010, 04:10 PM
I have a sign to make and i'am have a hard time trying to get the colonel's insigna on the sign does anyone have the insigna that i can copy ...thanks
butch 4195

eromran
04-12-2010, 04:18 PM
There is one here http://store.carvewright.com/pattern.php?vendor=eromran1&page=2

robbrigg2
04-12-2010, 04:36 PM
I have a sign to make and i'am have a hard time trying to get the colonel's insigna on the sign does anyone have the insigna that i can copy ...thanks
butch 4195

This should work

http://www.mediafire.com/file/ymy3nz3gyzi/Col_Insignia.ptn

eelamb
04-12-2010, 05:12 PM
Thanks guys, I download them, and eromran, I saw that one and may be purchasing it. This is to go on a box for my daughters birthday in a couple of months. She is into carousel horses, so why not make a box with that pattern on it for her. In the gallery I posted the pattern for the sides of the box.

eelamb
04-12-2010, 07:56 PM
Ok here is what I have so far, first is left and right side, second is front, and last is top. On the front I am thinking of finding a sleigh to replace the two center carousel horses. Opinion please. Also I am thinking of recessing the text on the top but have not figured it out yet. I am open to suggestions, so any thought would be nice.

c6craig
04-12-2010, 08:05 PM
Looking good! The only thing I see that I would point out is that it looks like your text is a little off center. The "S" is about to run into the horse's foot. I assume it is centered horizontally so you might want to just move the horse a touch over. If not, the "N" at the end might fit a little better closer to the foot since it is not capitalized.

Good luck,
Craig

BTW - That is an awesome design for the box top, I love it!

eelamb
04-12-2010, 08:32 PM
Craig, I had seen that and yes it is centered horizonally. Figured I am going to change it to recessed (maybe). thanks for the comment, This way I wil not forget to make the change of moving it to the right some.

here is another front with a sleigh, maybe to christmas looking with the sleigh.

eelamb
04-12-2010, 09:28 PM
Here is the top, text moved, and if I have this right, you can not have recessed text in a carve region, surface of board yes. I also cut the sides down. I plan to round over the edges once carved.

c6craig
04-12-2010, 09:35 PM
Looks great! Glad to see you move the text a bit, it's always the little things we dont see and complain about after we spend forever on a carve.

One thought on recessed text. Some people have tricks I have heard to use centerline and using jog to touch to the top of the board. Maybe they can chime in, or Im sure you could find it in search.

Another option is to do what Ken recently did for me to fix a centerline depth problem. You could outline the text and turn it into a pattern so you could set the depth and add it to a carve region. Lots of work I think, so maybe the jog to touch would better suit you.

Good luck - either way I think it looks great as it sits.

Craig

EDIT - Correction, Ken traced the text using the spline tool. Here is a copy of the MPC (Hope you don't mind Ken). It shows the centerline version and the splined version.

dbfletcher
04-12-2010, 10:06 PM
You can have recessed text in a carve region. Just change the merge type to subtractive.

Doug Fletcher

c6craig
04-12-2010, 10:09 PM
Thanks Doug,

I knew a more experienced user than myself would make sense of my rambling and show an easy way. Nice job.

Craig

eelamb
04-13-2010, 08:03 AM
Thanks Doug, had tried invert and it did not work, had not thought about substractive. Will give it a shot. I think the raster text recessed would look better than the raised text on the lid. I will be finding out later today.

CarverJerry
04-13-2010, 10:09 AM
Doug, I tried to do that and it didn't work, I made a carved region and selected it as subtractive, then tried to add centerline text into that area but the text didn't show up. What am I doing wrong?

CJ

cnsranch
04-13-2010, 10:15 AM
CJ - you can't add centerline text to a carve region - the machine defaults centerline to the original surface of the board, so, if your text is to be carved at, say, .150" depth, and your Carve Region is set to, say, .250", the machine would carve the text "in the air".

CarverJerry
04-13-2010, 10:21 AM
Yep, that is what it is doing. I just thought it would work like the pic that Doug showed (#16) but using centerline. Just thought I'd try & it didn't work. I know I've seen where you can trick the machine but it is dangerous doing this. Just thought I'd ask. thanks\\CJ

cnsranch
04-13-2010, 10:26 AM
CJ - follow this link - it may help...

http://forum.carvewright.com/showthread.php?t=8040&page=2&highlight=centerline+in+a+carve+region

AskBud
04-13-2010, 11:19 AM
Doug, I tried to do that and it didn't work, I made a carved region and selected it as subtractive, then tried to add centerline text into that area but the text didn't show up. What am I doing wrong?

CJ

Jerry,
Centerline was/is not designed for use in a "Recessed Area".
That being said, Check out this 20.1 MB AVI video.
AskBud
http://www2.wcoil.com/~nharbison/CW-Centerline%20Test.zip

CarverJerry
04-13-2010, 11:53 AM
thanks everyone.....