PDA

View Full Version : bit adapters

ctchay83
04-11-2010, 03:35 AM
during a run on a carving with the 1/16'' bit i found the shaft of the bit loose in the adapter. correct me if i am wrong but they are suppose to be good to go if the bit is already set in them correct. I had an extra carving bit around so i changed them out and it seems to be doing ok. My question is has any one had this happen and does it cause any other problems.

Thanks,

Cliff

mtylerfl
04-11-2010, 07:29 AM
Hi Cliff,

It is possible that the Loctite on the setscrews 'let go', which allowed the bit 'looseness'. I imagine if you cleaned off the setscrew threads (wire brush and denatured alcohol), applied new Loctite, then reinstalled the bit (with the 'flats' positioned under the setscrews), it should hold for a long time.

I try to monitor the setscrews (by attempting to tighten them periodically), just to be on the safe side. (So far, they have not moved during my 'tighten test'.) If there is enough heat build-up during a long carve, I suspect it can soften the Loctite. I use Blue myself when replacing the adapters, but CarveWright recommends permanent Red. The blue is more susceptible to 'letting go' from heat.

You asked if it can lead to other problems if a bit is loose. Yes, it can, if there is severe run-out...poor carve quality, axis error, dimpled adapter, damage to the QC if really severe looseness occurs.