PDA

View Full Version : Stopped mid-project

RobbMiller
04-10-2010, 08:43 PM
My machine just stopped working. It had just finished carving the last of 4 stock designs and stopped. I figured it was asking for the cutting bit as it was about to make the cuts; but when I went to change the bit the machine was dead.

No display or signs of life.

Help!

c6craig
04-10-2010, 09:07 PM
Power would be my first guess. Did you check the outlet? Maybe a breaker popped?

Good luck, I hope it's something simple like that...

Craig

Digitalwoodshop
04-10-2010, 09:11 PM
Take your fist and thump on the solid area of the top of the machine or just lay it on it's back or muffler side. If the display comes back on it is a broken L2 in the power supply. VERY Common.... It stops the Power Supply from sending it's power out. The laying it on it's back lets the coil touch again due to gravity. OR thumping vibrates the coil.... The QC vibrating causes this.... Plus there was not enough glue on the L2 Coil holding the Lolly Pop from vibrating and snapping the wire like bending copper wire over and over until it changes color and snaps...

OR.... Did you Kill the machine with a Vacuum Cleaner Hose Static... Think not... You did not mention cleaning...

LCD Dimmer.... Make sure it is in the middle and a card is in the machine.... No Card.... Black squares in display.

Some Pictures... It is hard to see the break in the wire of the L2 Coil since it snaps where it is bent over on the bottom of the board. So the break is inside the 1/8 inch board. It can be repaired at a TV Repair Shop, or get a board under warranty...

AL

RobbMiller
04-10-2010, 10:04 PM
Take your fist and thump on the solid area of the top of the machine or just lay it on it's back or muffler side. If the display comes back on it is a broken L2 in the power supply. VERY Common.... AL

Well strange enough, that worked. How can it be fixed?

Frederick_P
04-11-2010, 08:55 AM
Al you amaze me! How did you know that? I award you the Golden CW Guru of the week award for this one!

DocWheeler
04-11-2010, 09:08 AM
Take your fist and thump on the solid area of the top of the machine or just lay it on it's back or muffler side. If the display comes back on it is a broken L2 in the power supply. AL

CW resuscitation 101 by "Al Who" our local Paramedic!

Digitalwoodshop
04-11-2010, 06:31 PM
That made me SMILE....

I discovered that by accident.... I Thumped the machine followed by a @#$&!$& and saw the display come back on.... then off.....

Laid it on it's back still plugged in getting ready to take the bottom off.... and the display came back on again when I went to un plug it.

When on it's back the weight of the coil pushes the lead back into the board and makes contact.

The FIX... Under Warranty.... Call for a board. Send old board back.

Out of Warranty... Call for Board, PAY for board, Send old board back.

Out of Warranty.... Call a Local TV Shop and ASK.... With my pictures it should be NO problem to fix. You could take your machine to test it before leaving..... Buy Some Shoe Glue and after it is fixed, put glue all around it to prevent movement. As long as the bottom is OFF.... Do the C1 Cap on the X Termination Board. ONLY between the leads, NONE touching the leads.

The power supply L2 Coil is just a wound up coil of copper. It is on the output of the power supply and all the DC power goes through it. The Coil cleans up the DC Power by making any AC waves or NOISE on the DC power cancel each other out.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inductor

I should have a STICKY with this info.... I post it at least twice a month.

Good Luck,

AL

eelamb
04-11-2010, 06:55 PM
AL, LHR needs to pay you to be on this forum. Your advise seems to be right on. I only hope you are available at the time my CW starts acting up. So before I need you I want to say thank you for the support you are giving us here. I enjoy reading your problem solving and viewing the images.

Digitalwoodshop
04-11-2010, 07:21 PM
Eddie,

Thanks for the kind words.... Yes, a 1099 from LHR would be nice.... :D Never going to happen....

Actually I think I am on the LHR poop list most of the time for some of the advice I give.... Especially when I hear of a 14 pin cable being sent to a 16 pin FSC Cable user and it blows the computer.... It has happened twice in the last few months and my point was LHR should have fixed the $300.00 computer as the tech should have asked what Z Version they had. Comments like that are not appreciated.

I just hope that question is added to the LHR Play Book along with ALL users know what version THEY HAVE. The old 16 pin FSC or the new 14 pin FSC Cable. Before they order.

I push the ROCK all the time and post the Evils of Vibration from what I believe is the source....

That is where the joke "AL Who" comes from.... If I call LHR and say it's AL.... They say.... AL Who.... Snicker.... 4 machines, almost 5000 posts.....

AL

RobbMiller
04-11-2010, 09:06 PM
Do the C1 Cap on the X Termination Board. ONLY between the leads, NONE touching the leads.

I am not sure what this means.

Thanks for your help.

AskBud
04-11-2010, 10:14 PM
He is showing you the problem part on post #7. He is warning you to avoid placing glue on the conductors at either end, so you do not create a possible electrical path that bypasses the capacitor.
http://forum.carvewright.com/showpost.php?p=126567&postcount=7
AskBud

Digitalwoodshop
04-12-2010, 09:59 AM
Bud is right. Since this part is a Capacitor you cannot get glue on the wires on either end.

I am trying to offer a suggestion to users of the QC to prevent vibration from snapping off the Lolly Pop Looking Capacitor by using glue to hold it steady. When the Cap snaps off, the symptoms are the cut motor starting when it should be off or not starting. This is the part that if you bypassed the cover switches will make hamburger out of your fingers as it does not care if the computer did not tell it to start, it just does....

Bypassing the cover switches is like changing a fan belt on your car with the keys in the ignition and letting the kids play in the car.... You never know when the fan belt and blade will start turning your fingers into hamburger when the kid turns on the key..... Do you feel Lucky...?

I have 4 machines and 3 have snapped before I started using the ROCK. I put a lot of hours on my machines in the last 2 years and the vibration shook the machines into submission.... But not anymore.... Got Rocks...

So Glue the L2 Coil on the Power Supply and Glue the C1 on the X Termination Board.

AL

CarverJerry
04-12-2010, 07:36 PM
Does "hot glue" work ok for keeping these parts in place? You know the type that comes in a white looking stick and uses a hot gun to melt it, also used in a lot of crafts...

CJ

RobbMiller
04-17-2010, 02:23 PM
Is this something I can do myself? I can't find anyone in the area that works with circuit-boards.

Digitalwoodshop
04-17-2010, 02:56 PM
It is very easy to rip the solder pads off the circuit board if you are not experienced with advanced Soldering Techniques. Plus you need the proper Soldering Iron and a properly tinned tip and correct solder....

A lot can go wrong... I know... I have been doing this for many years....

It is a 10 minute fix for someone with the equipment and experiance...

You could buy one from LHR.

I no longer do Circuit Board Repairs for anyone. Too much Liability... Your house with the machine in the basement burns down next week.... The Insurance company looks at me and if my repair of the power supply caused the fire.... Yes, it's a Streeeeeeeeeeetch.... But in today's world you need to limit your liability.

AL