PDA

View Full Version : Burial Urn

cestout
04-09-2010, 05:20 PM
Here is a project I bet you never thought of. It was a pre-need request from a friend in my Bible Study group. I decided to make one for myself while I was at it. I used cumala, mahogany family, and special walnut stain.
Clint

CarverJerry
04-09-2010, 05:36 PM
Nice job, never thought about making one for myself as that is the way I want to be when that day comes. Did you make the whole thing using the CW? Want to share?

LittleRedWoodshop
04-09-2010, 07:58 PM
is very cool. I think I need one .... hopefully in a very long time.

Dan-Woodman
04-10-2010, 10:18 AM
Here is mine I posted a while back for my mother -in law. ( Whoa now , it was by request )
later Daniel

cestout
04-11-2010, 10:56 PM
Jerry,
I carved the top insert, the 2 ends on one piece, the front, and the back. I cut the top insert loose from its board with a sliding miter saw and table saw. The front, back, and ends were carved on a 7" piece so were the correct height, I mitered all the ends. I then cut rabbits in the tops (for the top insert) and bottoms fot the bottem piece (1/4" plywood that screws on). After dry fitting to trim the top insert to fit correctly, I glue it together using band clamps. I like the way the top came out. I developed it for this project, but make a box for a friend to give her daughter as a wedding present. When my machine gets back from Sears repair, I plan to submit that box as a project - "A More Elegant Box". I would submit this project, but the forest an mountains I purchased from the store. I could do it with some of the religious patterns I have in the store. What do you think?
Clint

CarverJerry
04-12-2010, 05:45 AM
Great idea, and nice job. Keep up the good work and sure hope everything is fixed on your machine when you get it back from Sears.

CJ

Icutone2
04-12-2010, 02:31 PM
Great Job!!! Did you also carve the handles as one piece?
Thanks
Lee

eelamb
04-13-2010, 03:19 PM
You can sell these urns to your local funeral homes. The one here has stated they would include images of urn's that are made for them by local people. Also have you looked at the cost of these? A very simple one red oak rectangle plain sided sells for $350.00. Now you may not sell many but any sells are good.

Also if you did not know the volume is 1 cubic inch per pound of body weight.

I made a urn a few years ago for my wifes father, and the calculations are very close.

dbfletcher
04-13-2010, 03:39 PM
You can sell these urns to your local funeral homes. The one here has stated they would include images of urn's that are made for them by local people. Also have you looked at the cost of these? A very simple one red oak rectangle plain sided sells for $350.00. Now you may not sell many but any sells are good.

Also if you did not know the volume is 1 cubic inch per pound of body weight.

I made a urn a few years ago for my wifes father, and the calculations are very close.

Does that calulation hold true for those of us that of full of SH*T as well as those of use that are full of hot air???

Doug Fletcher

cnsranch
04-13-2010, 04:09 PM
You can sell these urns to your local funeral homes.

Seriously, out of curiosity, do the urns have to meet some sort of specification? It may be one thing to make one for personal use (for lack of a better term), and another to sell them commercially.

karossii
04-13-2010, 04:21 PM
I'm not sure about nationwide, but in the 4 states I have lived in, there are no official regulations about who can become a mortuary, what education they have to have to start a cemetery, etc., etc.; all you have to do is go to the government and fill out an application and pay some licensing fees.

As long as the government is being paid, and all burials/cremations are documented, it seems they don't care how you take care of the dead...

So if there are any regulations, it would only be those of the mortuary itself...such as this common tidbit; "If an urn is going to be buried, many cemeteries require that it be placed into a protective outer enclosure, usually known as an urn vault. There are some urns, however, that are made from a material durable enough that they can serve as both, eliminating the need for a vault."

Don't ask how I know this - I'm just a trivia nut who often pursues more info when a peculiar bit of knowledge seems... well, peculiar.

eelamb
04-13-2010, 04:21 PM
The one they sell are sealed on five sides, with the bottom screwed on. The ashes are provided in plastic bag, and closed with ties. They actually give you the ashes in a plastic container, for you to do what you want. The one I made I did use calking to seal it even though it was very tight.

JDPratt
04-14-2010, 11:21 AM
[QUOTE=karossii;126720]I'm not sure about nationwide, but in the 4 states I have lived in, there are no official regulations about who can become a mortuary, what education they have to have to start a cemetery, etc., etc.; all you have to do is go to the government and fill out an application and pay some licensing fees.

As long as the government is being paid, and all burials/cremations are documented, it seems they don't care how you take care of the dead...

So if there are any regulations, it would only be those of the mortuary itself...such as this common tidbit; "If an urn is going to be buried, many cemeteries require that it be placed into a protective outer enclosure, usually known as an urn vault. There are some urns, however, that are made from a material durable enough that they can serve as both, eliminating the need for a vault."

QUOTE]

Strangely enough, before joining the Army (Infantry), I went to college as a Mortuary Science Major and worked in a mortuary for a couple years at the same time. Laws and regulations vary state to state. Some states require a considerable amount more than others when it comes to cremation and the rules for burying an urn. Most of the rules concern the actual cremation or embalming and tend to be less stringent when it comes to the ashes and how they are stored/interned by family members. What is really strange is that in most states the County Coroner is an elected official who has little or no background in death investigations. You will rarely find "Quincy" except in a few cases.

JD

robbrigg2
04-15-2010, 11:21 AM
Ok guys... I got a call this morning very early from the Pasadena Tx Police department because a little girl that attends my church with her family died in her sleep (she was 9). The mother and father were beside themselves as you can imagine and they did not want to release her body. As their pastor they hoped I would be able to help - which, thank God, I was able to do.

Now, I am looking at the 5th funeral from my tiny 120 member church since the first of the year. The family has decided to cremate the little body and keep the ashes. I would also like to make an urn and was wondering if you would be willing to sell me the plans for a one time use. I will NOT market this product on my site I just don't have the time to design and create something from scratch. The family is low income and the urns at the funeral home are very, very, expensive. If so, please PM me so we can discuss a price.

Thanks

c6craig
04-16-2010, 07:31 AM
Ok guys... I got a call this morning very early from the Pasadena Tx Police department because a little girl that attends my church with her family died in her sleep (she was 9). The mother and father were beside themselves as you can imagine and they did not want to release her body. As their pastor they hoped I would be able to help - which, thank God, I was able to do.

Now, I am looking at the 5th funeral from my tiny 120 member church since the first of the year. The family has decided to cremate the little body and keep the ashes. I would also like to make an urn and was wondering if you would be willing to sell me the plans for a one time use. I will NOT market this product on my site I just don't have the time to design and create something from scratch. The family is low income and the urns at the funeral home are very, very, expensive. If so, please PM me so we can discuss a price.

Thanks

Robert,

I hope someone is able to help you with an urn design. So sorry to hear about the little girl, nothing short of tragic to lose someone so young.

I don't know how to make an urn, but would be glad to donate a chunk of wood for the build if you need it.

Craig

robbrigg2
04-16-2010, 08:58 AM
Craig, thank you. Unfortunately no one has been able to so I guess I'll design something. I do have a large stock pile of wood but thank you for your generous offer.

This is little Annette in case you would like to see her!

Thanks again!

c6craig
04-16-2010, 09:35 AM
Robert, Have you tried PM'ing cestout or Dan-Woodman? Maybe they can give you some pointers or ideas even if they dont have a pattern.

Craig

robbrigg2
04-16-2010, 09:52 AM
Robert, Have you tried PM'ing cestout or Dan-Woodman? Maybe they can give you some pointers or ideas even if they dont have a pattern.

Craig

I did try cestout but not Dan let me give that a shot. Thanks Craig I appreciate your help!

cnsranch
04-16-2010, 12:32 PM
Rob -

Will this help?

Original font is braille, but that can be changed easy.

robbrigg2
04-16-2010, 01:21 PM
Rob -

Will this help?

Original font is braille, but that can be changed easy.

That would be awesome... thank you so much! I was really sweatting this one! I will post pictures of it when it's complete should be by weeks end.

mostlycold
04-16-2010, 09:24 PM
The family is low income and the urns at the funeral home are very, very, expensive. Thanks

A childs passing would have to be one of lifes most difficult challenges for those left behind. If you can not get the project completed, please PM me. I'd be happy to contact the funeral home and pay for her urn.

Dan

robbrigg2
04-16-2010, 09:33 PM
A childs passing would have to be one of lifes most difficult challenges for those left behind. If you can not get the project completed, please PM me. I'd be happy to contact the funeral home and pay for her urn.

Dan

That is very noble of you, thank you!

c6craig
04-17-2010, 12:19 AM

Dan

It shouldn't, but sometimes it amazes me the lengths people go to right here on this forum to extend random acts of kindness. Kudos to you sir, were there more like you the world would be a better place.

Craig

cnsranch
04-17-2010, 06:43 AM
I don't have internet access at home - the only way I can respond/participate in the Forum over the weekend is thru my Blackberry - and with my clumsy thumbs, that's why you guys don't have to put up with me on the weekends ;)

But after seeing your post here, Dan, I had to log on and tell you that that is the kindest offer I've seen.
Thank you for being a part of our group.

robbrigg2
04-17-2010, 07:54 AM
I don't have internet access at home - the only way I can respond/participate in the Forum over the weekend is thru my Blackberry - and with my clumsy thumbs, that's why you guys don't have to put up with me on the weekends ;)

But after seeing your post here, Dan, I had to log on and tell you that that is the kindest offer I've seen.
Thank you for being a part of our group.

I agree... if you listen to the news all the time it makes for a pretty bleak view of the world but when you interact with people it restores your faith in humanity. Thanks to everyone who has expressed a desire to help. The family will be very touched when I tell them the story. The funeral is today at 1 pm at our church. The visitation starts at 11:30 this morning. Such a sad thing to see a coffin only 36" long. If your of the praying type please pray for me. I need to find the right words to help and heal. I've conducted close to 150 funerals in my years in the ministry but never, ever done a child and I hope I never have to do another one.

RayTrek
04-17-2010, 08:15 AM
Robert,
You can count me in for a Message/Prayer to the Big Guy,
Good on you and all.
Ray
Restored hope with people like you.

Capt Bruce
04-17-2010, 09:14 AM
All our prayers are with you and the whole family. Such a loss. Know that we all stand with you today.