PDA

View Full Version : Select Bit - 1/16 Carving Bit

Mike N
10-07-2006, 02:26 PM
Maybe I'm doing something wrong. I can't find a choice for the 1/16 carving bit when I select bit. What I am trying to do is if I create a box and want to put a faint line around it so I know where to cut it on my bandsaw I want to use the smallest etch just so I know where to cut. Does anyone know how I can do this and why isn't the carving bit a choice?

Thanks
Mike N

BobHill
10-07-2006, 03:11 PM
Mike,

Why not use the carving bit with the 1/16" tip to "mark" your line by setting the depth to something like. 0.016 (1/64th")? Do you have a good 1/16" bit, or better yet, since you wish to cut it through, use the 1/8" straight bit, unless it's over 1" thick, and have the CarveWright do a Cut Through? And since the machine only knows what bit you might have is by you using the one identified in the software, why don't you think you can use the Carving Bit to do your scribing?You want to establish your path as a vector, and set the depth and use the bit that works for you (although there is a caveat to that if you don't have a sturdy bit for the task you are asking it to do).

Bob

Mike N
10-07-2006, 04:04 PM
Bob, I wound up using the 1/16 carving bit but in the software I picked the 1/8 straight bit. My question was why doesn't the software have a 1/16 carving bit as a choice when you "select bit"?

Cut Thru:
I hold off on letting the machine "cut thru" the 3/4inch board because I already broke a bit off. CW says that never happens. I also don't want to put wear and tear on the machine. Do you cut thru all the time and have no problems?

Mike

BobHill
10-07-2006, 10:33 PM
Mike,

I'll bet you didn't get that 1/16th" bit from CarveWright. But in any case, when you do the Cut Through, it DOES NOT try to do the cut through on one pass, it does it in numerous trips around the loop (leaving the tabs, of course), so you shouldn't be putting any extra strain on the bit IF IT'S STURDY enough to cut the wood you are working it on.

Bob

cmorlier
10-09-2006, 08:50 AM
Mike,

Currently, the Designer does not model the taper of the carving bit. So the 1/16" carving bit shows up as the 1/16" ballnose in the "Select Bit" dialog.