PDA

View Full Version : Amana's In-Groove CNC bits

Caocian
04-09-2010, 08:24 AM
Has anyone tried these bits on the Carvewright? They're industrial-quality tools made for CNC applications. The big advantage is, of course, that the replacement blades are only about $20.

My expereince with Amana router bits and saw blades has always been very good, so it seems like it might be worth a try.

http://www.toolstoday.com/p-6009-in-groove-cnc-insert-engraving-tool-body-replacement-knives.aspx

Ropdoc
04-09-2010, 08:28 AM
If you get a chance to try them out please give us the results. A video would be great.

Dave

Router-Jim
04-09-2010, 08:38 AM
Just the other night I noticed their ad on the back cover of Woodshop News and started lusting for the 8 piece set. LOL!

chebytrk
04-09-2010, 10:47 AM
If these work on the CC/CW it's going to knock things out of the Park! Imagine what Centerline would look like? Even the Stain Glass Projects! We need a report bad!

cnsranch
04-09-2010, 11:01 AM
Seriously, Al needs to take a look at this - with his work in plastic, this could be pretty big...

http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/36/36_13_8.gif (http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001_ZSfox000)

Jeff_Birt
04-09-2010, 11:12 AM
Tools like this have been available for decades. The big advantage (and disadvantage) is that you have one simple, replaceable cutting edge. You can achieve many different cut profiles, even custom ones, by changing inserts. Since the CW will not be aware that you have a different bit installed and since we can't set our own feeds/speeds it may be difficult to get such a tool to perform properly.

CarverJerry
04-09-2010, 11:28 AM
I have to agree with Jeff on that one, it is too bad we can't over ride the feeds and speeds on the CW. I think the v-groove one would work ok but keep in mind it is only a single flute cutting edge which means the chip load will be larger than the 60 or 90 degree tools we use. Would sure like to hear the feedback on this when Caocian tries these.

Icutone2
04-09-2010, 01:53 PM
I agree with Jerry, thay look like something to watch!
Lee

dbfletcher
04-09-2010, 02:01 PM
I posted a similiar question about the Amana bits last November.

http://forum.carvewright.com/showthread.php?t=13629&highlight=replaceable

I think post 14-17 are talking about the Amana bits.

Doug Fletcher

Router-Jim
04-09-2010, 03:52 PM
I ordered the eight piece set and will give a review after I test them out. :cool:

gwizpro
04-09-2010, 04:46 PM
Hi, we use the 90 degree bit all the time and it cuts very well. You will have problem with the 60 degree bit. We also have the Rock Chuck and the 60 degree bit is very sharp on the end , when the machine goes to the far right and the bit contacts the kick out plate it gets stuck then you get an error. The holder is a little long in our opinion. Tomorrow will check and see if it can be cut or ground shorter, that may solve the problem with 60 degree bit. All the other bits work great. We have been using them for months with the exception of the 60 degree bit. So far we have not had to replace any. They do cut cleaner. Plus the advantage of less expensive replacements. Tom

CarverJerry
04-09-2010, 05:08 PM
That sounds like a good option to go with. Please let us know how it works out after you grind the 60 degree one shorter.

CJ

Digitalwoodshop
04-09-2010, 06:44 PM
They do look interesting as does the other bits at the web site.

As for Plastic, I am only using the 1/6 inch end mill to cut out the tags....

When I used the 1/8 inch, the up spiral had so much torque that it picked up the plastic from the tape I used to stick it down... Still have not made the vacuum sled yet.

Reading the reviews, one guy said the tips break off easy....

Look forward to the user results.

AL

James RS
04-09-2010, 08:19 PM
Hi, we use the 90 degree bit all the time and it cuts very well. You will have problem with the 60 degree bit. We also have the Rock Chuck and the 60 degree bit is very sharp on the end , when the machine goes to the far right and the bit contacts the kick out plate it gets stuck then you get an error. The holder is a little long in our opinion. Tomorrow will check and see if it can be cut or ground shorter, that may solve the problem with 60 degree bit. All the other bits work great. We have been using them for months with the exception of the 60 degree bit. So far we have not had to replace any. They do cut cleaner. Plus the advantage of less expensive replacements. Tom

I was just wondering what bit did you select in the CW Designer to use the Amana bits?

gwizpro
04-09-2010, 10:00 PM
Hi, we select the 90 degree in designer for the Amana 90 degree bit . Likewise when we tried the 60 bit. The design of the bit is different , not it's shape...

cnsranch
02-14-2011, 11:17 AM
Anybody ever test these?? Seems like it just dropped.

Sure would be interesting to find out what a bit like this could do with a pattern that has a lot of detail.....