PDA

View Full Version : Mantle Clock

chebytrk
04-08-2010, 12:46 PM
I'll see if I can post the pic/mpc of the clock that I'm inquiring about. Anyway, I have the .mpc that was shared to us by Router-Jim. However, when I bring it up in Designer the clock (upper part) is not round on right side. It looks really bad and lines are not curved at all. They are very flat and run straight. The left side of the clock looks fine and curved perfectly. I thought that it might have been my copy of the .mpc even though I've opened it before and it looked fine. So I went and found the mantle clock by Router-Jim again and when I opened it in Designer it looked bad. Any idea what it might be that I'm doing wrong. Hate to start this stuff again, but last time I remember opening this .mpc up and it was working fine was .... pre 1.62 upgrade.

Sshanks
04-08-2010, 12:57 PM
I think this will work for you.
I deleted the line on the right and mirrored the line on the left (line two)
looks like that will fix it...

chebytrk
04-08-2010, 01:05 PM

Perfect! Thanks.. what could have caused that mess up on the right side? Even the original .mpc that Router-Jim had on the forum was messed up for me. Wierd....... THanks again

chebytrk
04-08-2010, 01:11 PM

So since I only have 11.125 wide boards that I get from HD, if I tell it to "scale to fit", should that make it cut/carve right (get it.. carvewright.. ha) on my board? Just don't want to mess up any wood. Stuff gets costly and no one is giving me any "Stimulus" money for my mistakes. : )

cnsranch
04-08-2010, 01:13 PM
Jerry - Scale To Fit is named that 'cause if you use it, it will give you fits.

Change the elements of the MPC, do not scale.

mtylerfl
04-08-2010, 01:49 PM
So since I only have 11.125 wide boards that I get from HD, if I tell it to "scale to fit", should that make it cut/carve right (get it.. carvewright.. ha) on my board? Just don't want to mess up any wood. Stuff gets costly and no one is giving me any "Stimulus" money for my mistakes. : )

Hi Jerry,

Yep, scaling is normally best to avoid (always to be avoided, as far as I'm concerned, as that can really mess up a carefully laid out project). I don't know if you saw the Tips & Tricks ISSUE 18 March 2009 – Scaling and How to Avoid It! (http://www.carvewright.com/downloads/tips/CarveWrightTips&Tricks_Mar09.pdf)

Some valuable info regarding scaling that you might find interesting, maybe even helpful. ;)

Router-Jim
04-08-2010, 02:21 PM
Jerry the mirrored spline line must of not survived the lastest update. :( But Sshank has it right in deleting the right side and remirroring the left.

Remember also to adjust your depth on the cut thrus because I was using thicker stock when I made the mpc.

good luck.

Jim

chebytrk
04-08-2010, 02:28 PM
Jerry the mirrored spline line must of not survived the lastest update. :( But Sshank has it right in deleting the right side and remirroring the left.

Remember also to adjust your depth on the cut thrus because I was using thicker stock when I made the mpc.

good luck.

Jim

Thanks Jim.. I did adjust the stock for .750. However, now when I try to upload to my card it states "Patterns or Carvings are too deep to be carved". Guess I'm a slow learner on this. I also thought I could just group everything and "pull it down to size", but I can't even do that. Also tried to see if I could select the cut icon, but it's not "highlighted" for me to use. Maybe I just need to go back to the drawing board and re-read all the Tips and Tricks again. Sometimes I guess it just gets a little frustrating for an ol' geezer like me.

Router-Jim
04-08-2010, 02:47 PM
Thanks Jim.. I did adjust the stock for .750. However, now when I try to upload to my card it states "Patterns or Carvings are too deep to be carved".

You also need to adjust the depth of cut to .75 by clicking on each of the spline lines.

Sshanks
04-08-2010, 02:48 PM
Sshank has it right

First time for everything :)

chebytrk
04-08-2010, 03:03 PM
You also need to adjust the depth of cut to .75 by clicking on each of the spline lines.

Got it Thanks! Do you know if the same size clock face that is used for the Eagle Clock will fit this one as well (as is)?

Router-Jim
04-08-2010, 03:07 PM
Got it Thanks! Do you know if the same size clock face that is used for the Eagle Clock will fit this one as well (as is)?

No I don't know that. I got my insert from Klockit http://www.klockit.com/products/dept-139__sku-AAAMM.html which requires a 3 1/4" hole. You'll need to resize the center hole.