PDA

View Full Version : Probe Problem

deancooper
04-06-2010, 02:04 PM
I updated to the new Designer and firmware version a couple of weeks ago. I have carved a few things, and everything went well. I tried using the scanning probe. Doesn't wok so good. The machine lets me set the beginning point, move to the end point, but then stops functioning when I set the endpoint. I get to the end point, hit enter, the probe descends, touches, the machine says to hit enter if the point is correct. I hit enter and nothing happens. The keypad becomes non-functional. No button works. I have to turn the machine off and on again, then everything's fine, unless I try to scan, when the same thing happens again. I suspect a problem in the new firmware, since the probe worked quite well until now.

I emailed support. They had me check to see if the probe was opening and closing contacts properly, which it was, and then if the probe was set to z-axis plug in or cover plug in. It is properly set for the cover. I haven't heard anything more back from support for a week now.

Anybody else having this problem? Before I start annoying support too much?

Thanks,

Dean Cooper

mtylerfl
04-06-2010, 07:38 PM
Hello Dean,

I would call Tech Support again. If it's been a week, then something has gotten lost in the shuffle. I'm sure they did not intend for you to wait this long!

I wish I could think of something for you to check, but with the keypad going 'dead' like you described, nothing is coming to mind at the moment. (Maybe AL, aka Digitalwoodshop, can think of something)

Hope you get it sorted out soon.

PCW
04-06-2010, 07:45 PM
I updated to the new Designer and firmware version a couple of weeks ago. I have carved a few things, and everything went well. I tried using the scanning probe.

Dean Cooper
Any chance you had the top cover off and have the connector backwards? White cable goes toward the center of the machine. Something to look at it.

manuelgonzalez1
04-09-2010, 06:44 AM
:confused:Dean,
I recently purchased my first probe. I scanned my first project with no issues, my second scan did they same thing your machine is doing . Let me know if you find a solution.

deancooper
04-09-2010, 08:03 PM
Dan---

Nope, everything is connected properly. Also, I have used the probe since the last time I popped the top on the machine. This problem just showed up, after I updated the software and firmware. I suspect the firmware, but can't say for sure.

Customer service has now gotten back to me, after I sent a reminder note. I am to schedule a time for them to call me when I can be by the machine. Probably will be next Tuesday afternoon. Thanks for the suggestion.

Manuel--

I'll post what I find out. I will tell customer service to look at your post, too.

Dean

kenbailey
04-13-2010, 01:33 PM
i'm having the same problem Dean, right down to last letter. i called and they said they'd get to to me.
Ken

eromran
04-13-2010, 02:20 PM
Probably stating the obvious but make sure your starting point and ending points are diagonal from each other not in line with each other.

mtylerfl
04-13-2010, 03:01 PM
i'm having the same problem Dean, right down to last letter. i called and they said they'd get to to me.
Ken

Hmmm....you guys got me really curious, so I did a scan test myself (using 1.162). I had no problems whatsoever - everything worked fine, just like it always has. Maybe Tech Support will be able to walk you through some troubleshooting steps over the phone.

Please let us know what you find out.

mtylerfl
04-13-2010, 03:56 PM
I mentioned to Tech Support about the issue you guys are having regarding the scanning, and it was suggested that you simply re-flash your memory cards with the 1.162 (NOT re-format - - just re-flash it via the Flash Manager in Designer...In other words, start Designer, click 'flash manager', 'firmware', 'latest firmware'.). See if that takes care of the problem for you.

RMarkey
04-13-2010, 03:59 PM
It looks like it is related to the "tooltalker" feature. Make sure your tooltalker is disabled. Press "0", "5", "7", and make sure it says "Speech Enable (off)".

mtylerfl
04-13-2010, 08:18 PM
It looks like it is related to the "tooltalker" feature. Make sure your tooltalker is disabled. Press "0", "5", "7", and make sure it says "Speech Enable (off)".

Awesome! You guys are great!

manuelgonzalez1
04-13-2010, 08:21 PM
Well, today i was able to talk to a tech. They left me hanging dry with no real solutions and after they said they would email me the firmware because they thought it was corrupted. I never recieved that email, but i did accidently leave my compucarve on for almost 8 hours. When i came home to try and work on it more, i tried one more time to scan. It worked just fine, not sure what happen but my probe is scanning again.

Well, who knows? maybe something they said really did fix it, i am glad my probe is scanning again. Maybe this will help someone out, try leaving your carvewright on.:-D

lynnfrwd
04-14-2010, 10:05 AM
Didn't mean to leave anyone hanging, but it took a while to figure that one out! Got it figured out & posted yesterday.

With the ToolTalker on (even though you may not have one), it is still doing the function; you are just not hearing it. So, the fact that it worked after the machine sat there a little while (8 hours was probably WAY more time than it needed) actually makes sense.

If you are not using the ToolTalker device make sure you disable it by pressing "0", "5", and "7" at the LCD control panel and turn the SPEECH function to OFF.

mtylerfl
04-14-2010, 11:46 AM
...Just to add to those instructions...after pressing "0", "5", "7", you turn the ToolTalker off by pressing "Enter" then to get back to the Scan Area Menu, you need to press the "Stop" button two times.

RMarkey
04-14-2010, 12:08 PM
Check again, Michael. Settings are saved.

If you press "0" "5" then up arrow, you should see speech output is still off.

The gotcha here is pressing the key of the option TOGGLES the option, even if you aren't on the screen. Legacy action. In other words, if its off, pressing that last "7" will turn it on.

mtylerfl
04-14-2010, 01:35 PM
Thank you! Pilot error on my part (i.e.: toggling on/off by mistake). Yes, I checked - it does indeed save the settings, as one would expect.

Thanks again!

kenbailey
04-16-2010, 10:37 AM
I mentioned to Tech Support about the issue you guys are having regarding the scanning, and it was suggested that you simply re-flash your memory cards with the 1.162 (NOT re-format - - just re-flash it via the Flash Manager in Designer...In other words, start Designer, click 'flash manager', 'firmware', 'latest firmware'.). See if that takes care of the problem for you.

it worked. tnx alot for all your help and info.
scaning already Ken