PDA

View Full Version : Error 246 Z-Axis Stall - Urgent Help Request

soomro
10-01-2006, 06:36 PM
I just got this error after cutting a piece couple of days ago just fine. Checked the forum but couldn't find any help on this. Can we anyone help me out right quick, pleeeese?

Thanks
Munawar

Ron Baird
10-01-2006, 08:12 PM
I have had this error code a few times. Is it a solid error that you can not clear or did it clear and go away?

Mister
10-01-2006, 09:58 PM
I'm assuming you can't move the cutting head/truck? I had this error on Friday - talked with Chris. He told me to give the collet bracket/truck? a good push up and down and not to be afraid to put some muscle behind it. He also suggested lubing the bottom pully bearing on the z-axis with some wd 40. Worked fine for me.

soomro
10-01-2006, 10:07 PM
Thanks guys. I blew compressed air and lube the rails with some oil. I can move the cutter head up and down and side to side easy enough; although easier with power off than on. With doing all of that and some other pushing and pulling it worked for about 5 minutes of carving, just enough to get me through a simple project I needed to deliver tomorrow, but right at the end it gave me stalled z axis error again.

Thanks
Munawar

BobHill
10-02-2006, 11:13 AM
You might check behind the Z truck (push to bottom) and look to see if the aluminum tape is bunched up and perhaps binding the truck movement. This tape is to hold the narrow ribbon band which goes to the board sensor, and if it's bunched, it can cause a variety of problems. I removed this tape and instead of replacing it, I used silicon sealer (standard GE window sealer) and smushed it into the ribbon slit (to hold the ribbon tight against the Z track holder) and this might clear your problem. Worth a look anyway.

Bob Hill
Tampa Flordia

Larry Walker
04-29-2008, 05:18 PM
Hi, I get this error every single time and can't clear it with any lubes to rail, cog belt pulleys, upper adjustments, crossing my eyes, etc.

Can the program be reconfigured to look for a little higher motor current?
I have software version 1.20.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks, Larry Walker

Jeff_Birt
04-29-2008, 05:28 PM
You did not say whether you have this problem on project in particular or all projects. The first suggestion I would make is upgrading to the latest version of both Designer and Firmware (1.126). They made several improvements to how the machine homes in newer versions that may well solve your problem. The newer version will require reregistration (it uses a different, better process), you can give the CW tech support guys a call if you have problems getting registered.

ssgtparrott
04-29-2008, 07:28 PM
I had this same problem. I am not sure if you are still under warranty or not, but they gave me a z-motor upgrade. This included a z-motor, circuit board (necessary to change), and a wiring strip. This fixed it. but soon after I encountered a problem with the handle. So I have not been able to complete a project with it yet.

Simon.

RanUtah
04-29-2008, 11:37 PM
Soomro, refine your seach, I had the same problem and ended up having LHR send me a new z-pack. haven't had a problem since. Do a search under my posts regarding that error.

ChrisAlb
04-30-2008, 05:06 AM
although easier with power off than on.

That's because when the power is on, the servo motors are energized. So it's perfectly normal to have more resistance with the power on. I always turn the power off for at least 15 - 20 seconds before trying to move the truck by hand. I'm not sure if it would damage them with the power on but I don't take chances.

Also, I strongly recommend AGAINST using WD 40 on ANY part of this machine. It is NOT a lubricant but a Rust inhibitor. If you do, be SURE to CLEAN it off completely and use a proper lubricant for the area you're working on.

desertangel
06-18-2008, 03:39 PM
Yikes. I just got the dreaded z axis stall error 236 / 246. Of course it happens on the day a project has to be done! Mark a CW is sending out the z pack. $52 delivered. Wish I hadn't procrastinated till the last day. Oh well, I guess I turn the customer a pen as a consolation prize and finish the job this weekend.

Thanks for the tips for cleaning, lubing, etc. Tried them all, but no help. I get 1/3 through the carving and then error 236.

I have to remember to concentrate on what I can do, rather than on what I can't.:mrgreen:

Amonaug
06-19-2008, 05:22 PM
Wouldn't you know it, 80 hours carve time on the motor and a couple days before my FIRST craft show and the Z-motor dies on me. It's the old z-pack and apparently it's losing power to the Z-motor. Right after the stall it's easy to move up and down with the power on. If I move it left/right there is resistance to moving it up/down, same as when the power comes on.

LHR is sending me a new z-pack as we speak so hopefully this won't delay any sales I may get at the show. Unfortunately I won't have the tray I was carving to display :(

Audie
06-19-2008, 06:15 PM
Amonaug,

Ouch! Sorry to hear that....seems Murphy is busy at work at his "LAW". I would offer to assist but my CW is at LHR getting a new....yes....a new....z-pack too. Dang it all!

Good luck on your craft show!
Audie