PDA

View Full Version : Bit shuffling.

SteveB
04-04-2010, 05:25 PM
Hello! I poked around on the FAQ and didn't find an answer for my question, so I figured it was safe to post. ;)

Today I did a carve that required four bits. I had to put each bit into the the chuck one-by-one at the beginning of the project (because the machine asked me to).

Is this step actually necessary or will the machine measure the new bits mid-carve when it asks me to change them?

Thanks,

-Steve

AskBud
04-04-2010, 05:35 PM
Hello! I poked around on the FAQ and didn't find an answer for my question, so I figured it was safe to post. ;)

Today I did a carve that required four bits. I had to put each bit into the the chuck one-by-one at the beginning of the project (because the machine asked me to).

Is this step actually necessary or will the machine measure the new bits mid-carve when it asks me to change them?

Thanks,

-Steve

If you are using a QC Chuck, you need to do the entire process, as requested.
This is the best attempt to assure that you have the Bit Adapter properly placed prior to carving.
AskBud

Ike
04-04-2010, 06:39 PM
I have a "Rock" and I still follow the same steps as the QC. I have used a bit that has slipped and it did not recognized it.

So Bud you are say with the "Rock" you don't need to load each bit? Say the first bit asked being the last is the cut bit, you let that bit go through the all the bits? If you use no bit it will not let you continue.

Then being a four bit cave the last bit being the cut bit would be first then say the second a 60 degree bit, which is the third and say third being a 90 degree which is second and the fourth is a 1/16th ball nose which is first. With the QC you need to load the bits as asked? With the "Rock" you don't?

I am confused I never tried this different with the "Rock". With the older software you could fool the machine with leaving just one bit, the bit you knew it was going to start with and then load the others when asked. Oh with the "Rock" I do use bit stops (really drill bit stops for doweling jigs), but I have not tried to place them on the same distance on the shaft of each different bit. That may be what you are talking about?

Help me with my confusion!

Ike

AskBud
04-04-2010, 06:48 PM
Ike,
Here is a post from Metallus, of LHR, and my warning.
It's never wrong to load each bit, no matter which chuck you use.
AskBud
http://forum.carvewright.com/showpost.php?p=121513&postcount=9

Ike
04-04-2010, 06:53 PM
Ike,
Here is a post from Metallus, of LHR, and my warning.
It's never wrong to load each bit, no matter which chuck you use.
AskBud
http://forum.carvewright.com/showpost.php?p=121513&postcount=9

Bud, sorry didn't make sense? As I posted I use bit stops on my bits so you are saying to make sure the stop is the same height on all bits?

Or am I missing the question altogether?

Ike

rjustice
04-04-2010, 07:07 PM
Using the Rock Chuck system, I have verified that in version 1.153 you can indeed leave any tool in the spindle and allow it to touch off the same one for each tool it asks for. Then when you start to carve, it will touch off the bit again, and then give you an error that the touch off doesnt match. If you just hit continue, it will carve using the last touch off length. This means that you really dont have to use stops on the bits. Now, heed the warning that the reason for doing it twice using the QC, is a double check to be sure that the proper bit is being installed, and that it is seated the same way in the QC... My advice is to absolutely take the time to watch the bit plate flip out properly and touch off correctly as you load the bit and start it. If the bit plate doesnt flip out properly (which is a known maintenece issue).. and it misses the bit plate, it could misread the length, and jam the tool deep... So, always take time to watch!

Also know that if LHR changes the way the software works, we (all Rock Chuck users) may have to start using bit stops if you arent doing so already.

Happy Carving,

Ron

AskBud
04-04-2010, 07:08 PM
Bud, sorry didn't make sense? As I posted I use bit stops on my bits so you are saying to make sure the stop is the same height on all bits?

Or am I missing the question altogether?

Ike
It's the placement of the tool/bit in the chuck that matters. no matter the method, you need to assure that the first and 2nd placement of any particular bit is the same for both the initial and the carve measurement, when using the standard QC chuck, or you get the warning. It's to let you know that the "Adapter" may not be in the QC properly. This is to protect you and the machine from any damage.

If you use a Rock, or some other chuck, you may ignore the warning. Where you place a collar on bits is not the point. The manual shows the normal distance that each specific bit should be extended out of the CW Adapter, and should guide you with how you use other devices.
AskBud

Ike
04-04-2010, 07:13 PM

Thanks,

-Steve

So to simply answer ......yes? Lol ok thanks! I think we took the long route! Thank you Bud! To me it makes sense! I thought maybe there a a way I wasn't aware of! I have let it go grabbing the wrong bit after being prompted wrong bit.

Ike

PCW
04-04-2010, 07:15 PM
Using the Rock Chuck system, I have verified that in version 1.153 you can indeed leave any tool in the spindle and allow it to touch off the same one for each tool it asks for. Ron

I have been doing this for almost a year to date and have not had one problem so far. As long as the software stays the same just say continue when prompted.

Ike
04-04-2010, 07:20 PM
Using the Rock Chuck system, I have verified that in version 1.153 you can indeed leave any tool in the spindle and allow it to touch off the same one for each tool it asks for. Then when you start to carve, it will touch off the bit again, and then give you an error that the touch off doesnt match. If you just hit continue, it will carve using the last touch off length. This means that you really dont have to use stops on the bits. Now, heed the warning that the reason for doing it twice using the QC, is a double check to be sure that the proper bit is being installed, and that it is seated the same way in the QC... My advice is to absolutely take the time to watch the bit plate flip out properly and touch off correctly as you load the bit and start it. If the bit plate doesnt flip out properly (which is a known maintenece issue).. and it misses the bit plate, it could misread the length, and jam the tool deep... So, always take time to watch!

Also know that if LHR changes the way the software works, we (all Rock Chuck users) may have to start using bit stops if you arent doing so already.

Happy Carving,

Ron

Ron I agree with you also, as I said this has taken the long route to the answer YES! But was answered with the QC you need to go through the process twice. I have a "Rock" and need to go through the process twice also. So I thought is there something I wasn't aware of?

So I guess if you were able to place the stops the same on each bit then you could fool the machine?

Ike

rjustice
04-04-2010, 07:28 PM
Ron I agree with you also, as I said this has taken the long route to the answer YES! But was answered with the QC you need to go through the process twice. I have a "Rock" and need to go through the process twice also. So I thought is there something I wasn't aware of?

So I guess if you were able to place the stops the same on each bit then you could fool the machine?

Ike

If i am understanding you correctly, yes there may be something you arent aware of... You can leave one tool in the bit, and touch the same one off for every tool you have, then once you start carving switch them out. It will just warn you that the touch off didnt match. You simply hit continue to keep going. But again, be sure to watch that the touch off happend correctly.

Happy Carving,

Ron

Ike
04-04-2010, 07:35 PM
If i am understanding you correctly, yes there may be something you arent aware of... You can leave one tool in the bit, and touch the same one off for every tool you have, then once you start carving switch them out. It will just warn you that the touch off didnt match. You simply hit continue to keep going. But again, be sure to watch that the touch off happend correctly.

Happy Carving,

Ron

Ron I was aware of that but didn't put 2 and 2 together! Still I think I will continue just to do it twice. Like Bud pointed out I have had bits slip and it wasn't the 2 stag process I would not have found the loose bit!

Ike

fwharris
04-04-2010, 07:39 PM
I thing (dangerous sometimes) that the start routine of inserting each bit was to also insure that you had the bits being called for in the project.

Still using the QC and insert each bit as called for.

Ike
04-04-2010, 07:44 PM
I thing (dangerous sometimes) that the start routine of inserting each bit was to also insure that you had the bits being called for in the project.

Still using the QC and insert each bit as called for.

No argument here! Hell it takes long enough to carve a project as it is! What's an extra process to ensure safety and the project coming out right the first time!?

Kind of like being late for work, do you speed and take a chance getting a ticket or into accident that will delay you more? Or do you drive the speed limit and get there safe?!

Ike