PDA

View Full Version : New LHR Chuck on the way

AskBud
04-04-2010, 02:13 PM
Michael posted this 4/4/2010. It looks like LHR is close to releasing the new chuck.
AskBud
http://forum.carvewright.com/showthread.php?t=14996

troydraper
04-04-2010, 11:25 PM
hey bud,, can you offer any advice , my carving bit is very loose in the quick release chuck, the bit is not loose in the holder, the problem is the holder is loose in the chuch after 23 hrs this is unbelieveable and has at least 1/8" movement at the tip of the carving bit,, whats your advice ,, new rock chuck or contact carvewright and try and get a replacement chuck ????? Thanks Troy

AskBud
04-04-2010, 11:45 PM
hey bud,, can you offer any advice , my carving bit is very loose in the quick release chuck, the bit is not loose in the holder, the problem is the holder is loose in the chuch after 23 hrs this is unbelieveable and has at least 1/8" movement at the tip of the carving bit,, whats your advice ,, new rock chuck or contact carvewright and try and get a replacement chuck ????? Thanks Troy
Oh My!
Push is coming to shove!
I personally would not get the old QC version, now that the replacement is so near at hand.
I would call and see if they are ready to ship the new version. Push to speak with Joe if the answer is "no". The Rock is a good device, if the "wait time' is unknown.

I'm sure others will have some comments!
AskBud

Sshanks
04-05-2010, 03:28 AM
seems like there is quite a bit of buzz about this new release from LHR..
I have yet to see any response or comment about it from them? (correct me if I am wrong... please)..

I think LHR should be commenting on this.. Once one of us goes to the Rock, it seems very unlikely we would ever switch back...
No comment by LHR makes the rumors seem like the release is too far out to wait.

Any thoughts?

AskBud
04-05-2010, 04:56 AM
seems like there is quite a bit of buzz about this new release from LHR..
I have yet to see any response or comment about it from them? (correct me if I am wrong... please)..

I think LHR should be commenting on this.. Once one of us goes to the Rock, it seems very unlikely we would ever switch back...
No comment by LHR makes the rumors seem like the release is too far out to wait.

Any thoughts?

I know what you mean. However, Michael writes lots of documents for LHR, and appears to test new gear and features for them.

His sentence just above the "Bullet" list, in the thread below, is what prompted me to comment.
http://forum.carvewright.com/showpost.php?p=125969&postcount=1
Quote: "The signs are about 15" x 8", carved (and cut out) on the 'Best' setting using the new, soon-to-be-available spindle/chuck from CarveWright".

Here is another link to a post by Michael:
http://forum.carvewright.com/showpost.php?p=125610&postcount=7
AskBud

lynnfrwd
04-05-2010, 11:34 AM

No comment by LHR is probably because 20 hours ago when this post got started, we (LHR) were enjoying Easter with our friends and family. I hope you all enjoyed yours!

The new spindle is no rumor. It will be available soon. I am not going to jinx it by saying when, because sure as I do, it will get delayed and you guys would have my hide!

Whether or not to wait is up to each individual and their own timelines. If you have a project that has to be done by a certain time, then you need a replacement now. If not, wait for the new spindle.

jgowrie
04-05-2010, 11:37 AM
:mrgreen:
good news!

TerryT
04-05-2010, 12:36 PM
So, is the new spindle chuck going to come standard on new machines or is it going to be an "Addon" for a while?

Digitalwoodshop
04-05-2010, 12:43 PM

Troy,

Just remember you MUST replace ALL worn Bit holders AT THIS TIME too.... Replace just the QC and install a bad Bit Holder and it will flop around in the new QC destroying it too.... In as little as one project....

Good Luck,

AL

mtylerfl
04-05-2010, 12:48 PM
So, is the new spindle chuck going to come standard on new machines or is it going to be an "Addon" for a while?

Details are forthcoming...keep a lookout for official announcements, a Tips & Tricks, and more!

Note to All: If you have not subscribed to the CarveWright Corner Newsletter and the Tips & Tricks Newsletters, now would be a very good time to do so at http://www.carvewright.com/ and fill in the "Join Our Free Mailing List" form (if you are already signed up, there is no need to duplicate your entry). Joining automatically subscribes you to both the CarveWright Corner and the Tips & Tricks Newletters.

chebytrk
04-05-2010, 12:49 PM

Probably be a "Add on"...... part of the Stimulus Package you know............:D

Metalhead781
04-05-2010, 12:54 PM
any hint as to the the bit holder for the new chuck? I don't imagine with the user error restrictions built into the system that it would be for standard bits off the shelf. Will bit adapters from the old QC work with the new one? This might help me decide if i'm going for a rock.

Digitalwoodshop
04-05-2010, 01:07 PM
Buying a rock means never having to buy another bit holder..... Either version and is just as quick to change a bit.

I throw a lot of support to Ron for his ROCK and have never been taken a dime or product in trade for my continuous support... I just like the product and it's ease of use and quality of cut. I bet you could find about 100 posts I have made about my support of the ROCK. I use simple Locking Rings on the bits and never have a bit loading error or a Thrown bit.

It's like Coke or Pepsi.... I am a Coke guy and hate Pepsi....

AL

dbfletcher
04-05-2010, 01:14 PM
I wish they could just release some of the specs for this new chuck... as well as these benifit over "non-approved" aftermarket chucks Michael hinted at.

As for myself... unless this new chuck is the best thing since sliced bread... I can't imagine giving up my rock's. Ron's rock has made soooooooooo many very grumpy cw/cc users happy campers again.

Ron.... I will never be able to thank you enough.

Doug Fletcher

Digitalwoodshop
04-05-2010, 01:24 PM
I did a search for "Rock Chuck" posted by user "Digitalwoodshop" and displayed as Posts.....

There were only 25.... But you look at the number of views in the upper right corner and add them all up and it comes out to....

20,801 Views....

Not sure if that is views of that single post x 25 or views to the thread....

So it is safe to say we have had a bunch to say about the ROCK...

Then I searched "BB Marks" and posts by "Digitalwoodshop" and display as posts and got 41 posts.....

56,118 Views.....

Lots of views about BB Marks and less Carving.... :(

AL

atauer
04-05-2010, 01:32 PM
Having used the new chuck, I can honestly say that you guys will be pleasantly surprised. I don't have the exact specs, but, it will definitely make users a lot happier.

PCW
04-05-2010, 01:33 PM
One thing I will add about Ron and the Rock is that he is so confident in his chuck that he offers a lifetime guarantee. He was there for us when no one else was.

BTW: If you see Ron at any fast food restaurant would you mind posting.:mrgreen:

mtylerfl
04-05-2010, 01:52 PM
Having used the new chuck, I can honestly say that you guys will be pleasantly surprised. I don't have the exact specs, but, it will definitely make users a lot happier.

Yes indeed, Alex!

A teeny bit more patience folks... a lot of time, effort and testing went into developing this - they wanted it to be demonstrably better than anything else out there, and I believe they have succeeded. High-quality, great design and a pleasure to use!

Sshanks
04-05-2010, 02:57 PM
[QUOTE=lynnfrwd;126032]No comment by LHR is probably because 20 hours ago when this post got started, we (LHR) were enjoying Easter with our friends and family.QUOTE]

Fair enough point.. I work in an industry where Holidays do not mean a day off.. Sometimes I forget that people with regular jobs have holidays and weekends off… Sorry to jump the gun..

rjustice
04-05-2010, 03:46 PM
I wish they could just release some of the specs for this new chuck... as well as these benifit over "non-approved" aftermarket chucks Michael hinted at.

As for myself... unless this new chuck is the best thing since sliced bread... I can't imagine giving up my rock's. Ron's rock has made soooooooooo many very grumpy cw/cc users happy campers again.

Ron.... I will never be able to thank you enough.

Doug Fletcher

Doug,
All of the kind words expressed by you, Al, PCW, LG and many many others means a lot to me. I honestly went into this mainly trying to help our carving community. All of the nice comments in the forums, the emails, and the PM's, has demonstrated the success of the Rock Chuck system. I have sold many, many chucks at this point and have had only one return that i can think of. It was mainly due to not cleaning the old locktite off of the shaft of the existing tools, and the bore just felt too tight. The customer couldn't get the bit back out of the chuck without restling with it. I took his tool out, cleaned the bit shank, and it slid in perfectly. I did replace the chuck with a brand new one however, as it was scuffed up from usage. I wrote a little note stating the need to clean off the old loctite residue to the customer and shipped it back. I recieved a nice thank you and a very nice testimonial afterwards... I have replaced a couple of the Rock Sleeves also due to being a little too tight (which it ended up that they were by .0002), but thats it. After almost a year with 99.9% positive comments (from those that actually bought and use the Rock Chuck), I think that it speaks for itself. A little over a year ago, it seemed as though almost every other post was something about a problem with the QC, and/or something caused by the QC (AL has posted several times what kind of damage all of the vibration from the QC does) ... Well, you rarely here anything like that anymore, and when you do, it is normally posted by someone new to our carving community. This normally results in someone recommending to switch to the Rock and "end the madness".. Although I read those posts, I have tried to allow someone else to share their experience with the Rock instead of using the CW forum as a platform to sell. I hope that everyone recognizes this, and haven't taken it as though I ignore the post, or that I lack confidence in my products, because that is the furthest thing from the truth... Anyway, sorry for the long post, but thank you to everyone that has supported the Rock Chuck System. I sincerely appreciate the business that you have sent to me, and I hope that it continues...

Best regards and Happy Carving,

Ron

kenrik
04-05-2010, 04:18 PM
Yes indeed, Alex!

A teeny bit more patience folks... a lot of time, effort and testing went into developing this - they wanted it to be demonstrably better than anything else out there, and I believe they have succeeded. High-quality, great design and a pleasure to use!

Will it be manufactured in the good "ol" USA ???...Because we all know that as soon a great idea gets sent across the big pond to be manufactured the Quality Control becomes irrelevant. :p

liquidguitars
04-05-2010, 04:56 PM
Doug,
All of the kind words expressed by you, Al, PCW, LG and many many others means a lot to me. I honestly went into this mainly trying to help our carving community. All of the nice comments in the forums, the emails, and the PM's, has demonstrated the success of the Rock Chuck system. I have sold many, many chucks at this point and have had only one return that i can think of. It was mainly due to not cleaning the old locktite off of the shaft of the existing tools, and the bore just felt too tight. The customer couldn't get the bit back out of the chuck without restling with it. I took his tool out, cleaned the bit shank, and it slid in perfectly. I did replace the chuck with a brand new one however, as it was scuffed up from usage. I wrote a little note stating the need to clean off the old loctite residue to the customer and shipped it back. I recieved a nice thank you and a very nice testimonial afterwards... I have replaced a couple of the Rock Sleeves also due to being a little too tight (which it ended up that they were by .0002), but thats it. After almost a year with 99.9% positive comments (from those that actually bought and use the Rock Chuck), I think that it speaks for itself. A little over a year ago, it seemed as though almost every other post was something about a problem with the QC, and/or something caused by the QC (AL has posted several times what kind of damage all of the vibration from the QC does) ... Well, you rarely here anything like that anymore, and when you do, it is normally posted by someone new to our carving community. This normally results in someone recommending to switch to the Rock and "end the madness".. Although I read those posts, I have tried to allow someone else to share their experience with the Rock instead of using the CW forum as a platform to sell. I hope that everyone recognizes this, and haven't taken it as though I ignore the post, or that I lack confidence in my products, because that is the furthest thing from the truth... Anyway, sorry for the long post, but thank you to everyone that has supported the Rock Chuck System. I sincerely appreciate the business that you have sent to me, and I hope that it continues...

Ron

Thanks Ron!

LG

lawrence
04-05-2010, 05:49 PM
Well said Ron, I enjoy your chuck very much.

I am also quite happy that the folks at LHR have heard their customers' voices and are adjusting their product to better suit us. This speaks well of their goal of meeting or exceeding expectations with their machine. I wish them luck and look forward to seeing the fruits of their labors.

Lawrence

Digitalwoodshop
04-05-2010, 06:49 PM
[quote=lynnfrwd;126032]No comment by LHR is probably because 20 hours ago when this post got started, we (LHR) were enjoying Easter with our friends and family.QUOTE]

Fair enough point.. I work in an industry where Holidays do not mean a day off.. Sometimes I forget that people with regular jobs have holidays and weekends off… Sorry to jump the gun..

Even AL who took Sunday off....

Here are the kind of Lock Rings I use... You can search and find them cheaper in larger quantities.

http://www.routerbits.com/cgi-routerbits/sr.cgi?1042852205_2547+86

Good Luck,

AL

Digitalwoodshop
04-05-2010, 06:56 PM
Thanks RON !!!!

Keep up the GREAT WORK !!!!

AL

rcdages
04-05-2010, 07:59 PM
Yes indeed, Alex!

This is what I have been waiting for since I heard and saw it in the devleoping stage.

I am just one of those people who believe in having my Truck as well as my CW, to have the parts that are develpoted for the machine by the company that developed it.

Nothing against the Rock Chuck what so ever or anyone that has one.

This is just my opinion how I feel.
Robert
rcdages

liquidguitars
04-05-2010, 09:54 PM
I think having a large aftermarket selection is a good sign of a strong product. That can help make me make the decision on a car or a tool knowing
that a gambit of products including software tools support the investment.

Knowing LHR the new chuck will be a good product like Ron's and we will have more choices to hot rod this little CNC, now lets see the tool changer..

LG

Digitalwoodshop
04-05-2010, 10:14 PM
I think having a large aftermarket selection is a good sigh of a strong product. That can help make me make the decision on a car or a tool knowing
that a gambit of products including software tools support the investment.

Knowing LHR the new chuck will be a good product like Ron's and we will have more choices to hot rod this little CNC, now lets see the tool changer..

LG

Let's see the 4th Axis too....:mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

Wish List Christmas 2010....

I wish I lived as close to LHR as Robert.... I would love to work there.... Only about 50 miles away.

AL

Pratyeka
04-06-2010, 06:35 AM
Doug,

Ron

does anyone remember my humble contribution in pointing out the source of vibration in the QC? Can't wait to see what the new LHR chuck will be like.
http://forum.carvewright.com/showthread.php?t=10879
http://forum.carvewright.com/showthread.php?t=7905&page=2

PCW
04-06-2010, 07:31 AM
Doug,
All of the kind words expressed by you, Al, PCW, LG and many many others means a lot to me. Ron

Thanks Ron

I wish I lived as close to LHR as Robert.... I would love to work there.... Only about 50 miles away.

AL

It would be worth living near LHR just to be able to get a good look at all the new development's prior to the company's official release.

temler
04-06-2010, 09:33 AM
Let's see the 4th Axis too....:mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

Wish List Christmas 2010....

AL

I agree i would love to see the 4th axis or a least know they are working on it, and then lets work on the bit changer. but the 4th axis would be so much more fun, i can change bits but i don't know how to add the 4th axis.
there will me more fun with this machine in the future. I am still looking for a good deal on another machine that I can refurbish. I agree i wish i live in TX i would work for LHR for nothing just to learn more about this machine. I love working on these machine.
Thanks all for everybody input and making this group so much fun

twiceretired
04-06-2010, 10:33 AM
Does anyone remember my humble contribution in pointing out the source of vibration in the QC? Can't wait to see what the new LHR chuck will be like.
http://forum.carvewright.com/showthr...?t=7905&page=2
I sure do, your post saved my bacon. By balancing my QC I was able to continue carving. I would have bought Ron’s Chuck, but retirement doesn’t afford many luxuries, and the economy just reduces it further, and our Government “Draw your own conclusions”.
Pratyeka, a big Thank You! For the information on the QC and all you patterns, and contributions’ .

dbfletcher
04-06-2010, 10:41 AM
does anyone remember my humble contribution in pointing out the source of vibration in the QC? Can't wait to see what the new LHR chuck will be like.
http://forum.carvewright.com/showthread.php?t=7905&page=2

Pratyeka,

I also remember your posts. reading your posts is what first promted me to seriously look at the Rock. I was getting so fed up with my machine. I am so thankful for getting the rock and continuing carving.

Doug Fletcher

PS. You were building your on cnc machine right? How did that turn out or are you still working on it.

Pratyeka
04-08-2010, 06:27 AM
Pratyeka,

PS. You were building your on cnc machine right? How did that turn out or are you still working on it.

Everything related to wood carving is presently on hold until I get interested again. For now I got plenty else to do. I still work on patterns sometime but they are very intricate and time consuming.

You can check my blog for progress on my CNC.
The store is closed also because of some bug. I don't think I'll re-open it soon, not worth the sweat.

AskBud
10-14-2010, 09:09 AM
CarveTight (CT) Spindle Assembly now available for the older machines (A and B serial numbered).
It is standard on the "C" models.

There is a video at the bottom of this link.
AskBud
http://www.carvewright.com/2010CWweb/cwcarvetight.htm

wasacop75
10-14-2010, 01:20 PM
I have the new carve tight spindle. I am wondering why my machine is louder now than before? After the change over, i was doing a short carve and the LOML came out to see what the problem was with the machine. She complained that the machine was louder in the house than before and at a different pitch. Any suggestions?

Ike
10-14-2010, 01:25 PM
Mike the answer is it will be until the bearings break in, that is estimated about an hour. I have a new Rev. C and about 30 40 hours and mine is still loud! Well louder then I am used to, but it still carves fine!

Ike

wasacop75
10-14-2010, 01:37 PM
It carved nice, but was loud and at a different pitch. Just got off the phone with LHR and will need to check the bearings to see if they are tight. they were before i started the carve, but since then, dont know.
Thanks.

Ike
10-14-2010, 02:01 PM
Wow I called when I first used my CW and they told me it needed to be broke in. Plus I noticed it ran really hot, so now I may need to send it in to check the bearings? I wish I had the money for shipping! I need to replace the gear belt behind my "Rock" on my other CW when I heated up the QC I melted the belt! It is finally not working well!

Oh well I will send it in when I can, thanks Mike for the info. Like I said my CT carves well, but I noticed it vibrates a lot. Plus how do you check the bearings or do they mean the back rollers on the truck?

Ike

AskBud
10-14-2010, 03:37 PM
I have the new carve tight spindle. I am wondering why my machine is louder now than before? After the change over, i was doing a short carve and the LOML came out to see what the problem was with the machine. She complained that the machine was louder in the house than before and at a different pitch. Any suggestions?
I'm not sure why the unit would now be louder, mine are both much more quite.

1) If it a higher pitch, I would first see that I have the muffler in place as it muffles that sound.
2) Is the machine mounted/bolted to the same stand as before? Are the rubber feet between the machine and the stand (they also absorb noise/vibration). Have you altered your stand or re-arranged your loose tools within the stand?
3) If you hear a chatter, check the Flex connection.

Let us know how you make out.
AskBud