PDA

View Full Version : Odyssey Signs for Camp

mtylerfl
04-04-2010, 01:55 PM
My brother-in-law bought a camp (cottage) in Maine next door to my wife's family camp (on Madagascal Pond near Lee, Maine).

His kids insisted they name the camp after a radio program called 'Adventures in Odyssey' they grew up listening to. I was drafted into making a couple tree/roadway signs pointing the way and one for affixing to the camp itself. The signs are about 15" x 8", carved (and cut out) on the 'Best' setting using the new, soon-to-be-available spindle/chuck from CarveWright.

• material: Select Pine
• 3 coats of Kilz Premium Primer
• Several light coats of Hunter Green spray enamel
• Painted lettering with Kilz Primer and white latex enamel (rolled on with a 6" long foam paint roller)

Kenm810
04-04-2010, 02:12 PM
Simple, Clean, and Sharp looking -- Nice Job! :wink:
Thanks for Sharing your Photos and Finishing Steps

Ike
04-04-2010, 02:20 PM
My brother-in-law bought a camp (cottage) in Maine next door to my wife's family camp (on Madagascal Pond near Lee, Maine).

His kids insisted they name the camp after a radio program called 'Adventures in Odyssey' they grew up listening to. I was drafted into making a couple tree/roadway signs pointing the way and one for affixing to the camp itself. The signs are about 15" x 8", carved (and cut out) on the 'Best' setting using the new, soon-to-be-available spindle/chuck from CarveWright.

• material: Select Pine
• 3 coats of Kilz Premium Primer
• Several light coats of Hunter Green spray enamel
• Painted lettering with Kilz Primer and white latex enamel (rolled on with a 6" long foam paint roller)

Michael, great job! A 6" foam roller? Wow do you get all the letters at once? I take a 3" roller and cut it into 3-1" sections and then reinstall the end caps and to stop it from slipping back down roller, I use a "C" clip or just tape.

I would like to see how you use the 6" roller, great job!

Ike

mtylerfl
04-04-2010, 02:49 PM
Michael, great job! A 6" foam roller? Wow do you get all the letters at once? I take a 3" roller and cut it into 3-1" sections and then reinstall the end caps and to stop it from slipping back down roller, I use a "C" clip or just tape.

I would like to see how you use the 6" roller, great job!

Ike

Hi Ike!

Wish I talked to you before rolling the letters - it was a little tricky trying to paint several letters at once with the 6" roller - had to go slowly and methodically.

I think your idea is much better - using shorter lengths and doing one letter at a time. I'm sure that would actually be faster than how I did it! Thanks for the tip! I'll see if I can take a pic of the roller and post it here - it's not a 'regular' foam - it's very dense and more rigid than the typical foam roller I was used to. It leaves a smoother, less 'textured' paint finish.

Ike
04-04-2010, 03:44 PM
Hi Ike!

Wish I talked to you before rolling the letters - it was a little tricky trying to paint several letters at once with the 6" roller - had to go slowly and methodically.

I think your idea is much better - using shorter lengths and doing one letter at a time. I'm sure that would actually be faster than how I did it! Thanks for the tip! I'll see if I can take a pic of the roller and post it here - it's not a 'regular' foam - it's very dense and more rigid than the typical foam roller I was used to. It leaves a smoother, less 'textured' paint finish.

Lol, I was amazed on your method! I use just regular 3" trim rollers and I forgot to add I use my torch to lightly burn the cut and end feathers, then I spin the roller and torch the whole roller. Yes it does leave an orange peel effect and I use water based paint. Oil always goes on smoother, but more of a pain to clean mistakes while painting.

But I spray some Kyron clear and it fills in the texture and gives the letters a smooth surface.

I shared this method before and threaten to make a how to video on U Tube. I didn't think anybody tried the chop trim method and was wrong! I was PM'd by fellow member and was told thank you! Made me smile!

So when I can I will show how I use a hacksaw to cut the roller and use the "C" clip or tape then how to burn the feathers from the cut side and burn down the wild hairs of the roller!

If anyone ever has any questions about sign making, hand routed or finishing or whatever? I will tell you how I have been doing it the last 30 years! It isn't any big secret and I am always happy to share and help!

Have a great Easter!

Ike

dbfletcher
04-04-2010, 03:52 PM
Ike,

Please keep posting and sharing. I also have tried your "chop trim" as you showed in that video. You make it look so easy.. but it is dfinately something you have to practice. I have learned a lot from just reading your posts thought!

Thanks, a bunch!

Doug Fletcher

Ike
04-04-2010, 04:49 PM
Ike,

Please keep posting and sharing. I also have tried your "chop trim" as you showed in that video. You make it look so easy.. but it is dfinately something you have to practice. I have learned a lot from just reading your posts thought!

Thanks, a bunch!

Doug Fletcher

I appreciate that Doug and it is easy you should try it with a router! I have used a router 2 ways took off the handle and used the motor like a die grinder. Then with a wide 90 degree bit and bounce it across the edge and that is a challenge!

I personally don't care for the look and like the die grinder approach! I will help whenever I can! I too have learned from you and other members and I thank you and the rest of the members!

Ike

PCW
04-04-2010, 07:09 PM
Mike,

Good looking signs, and can't wait to see the new chucks from LHR.

Ike,

I too liked your video and yes you do make it look easy. Sure can tell you've been doing it for awhile.

Ike
04-04-2010, 07:25 PM
Mike,

Good looking signs, and can't wait to see the new chucks from LHR.

Ike,

I too liked your video and yes you do make it look easy. Sure can tell you've been doing it for awhile.

Thank you Dan and I am still intrigued how Michael used a 6" roller!

I have been doing this awhile and I am still young!! Lol well I started young at 17, you do the math!

Ike

bjwisdom
04-04-2010, 08:51 PM
How soon are we talking about with the release of the spindle chuck? Any idea on price? Before pulling the trigger and purchasing a Rock I'd like to see the spindle chuck. Just got my machine back for repair and it is working great. But, I'd like to replace the QC before I have any problems.

b.sumner47
04-04-2010, 10:31 PM
Micheal, I can't see how people could get lost, with quality signs like those. Well done. Capt Barry.

rcdages
04-04-2010, 10:31 PM
Michael,

Another out standing job. Well done Sir.

Always appreciate your in depth coverage of finishing technique.

Looking forward to the Spindle/Chuck from CarveWright being available.

Thank you,
Robert
rcdages

www.go3d.us
04-04-2010, 11:28 PM
That is very professional looking.

RayTrek
04-05-2010, 11:14 AM
Hi Michael,
Thank you for sharing your beautiful project and knowledge
Cheers to you. ~ Ray

mtylerfl
04-05-2010, 12:20 PM
How soon are we talking about with the release of the spindle chuck? Any idea on price? Before pulling the trigger and purchasing a Rock I'd like to see the spindle chuck. Just got my machine back for repair and it is working great. But, I'd like to replace the QC before I have any problems.

Hello,

I would wait if I were you - it shouldn't be too much longer. You can make a better informed decision which way you may want to go when you can compare all your options. I am not at liberty to discuss pricing info at the moment, but I'm reasonably confident you will be pleased.

AskBud
04-05-2010, 12:53 PM
Check this thread.
AskBud
http://forum.carvewright.com/showthread.php?t=14997

Router-Jim
04-05-2010, 03:12 PM
Michael, I just wanted to say those are sure nicely designed signs. :cool:

Also thanks for sharing your finishing tips.

Jim

leesheridan
04-05-2010, 05:39 PM
Hi Michael
As I'm in the shop and the radio is on I get the same radio program, Adventures in Odyssey and I even enjoy some of the stories yet today.

Kenm810
04-05-2010, 06:51 PM
A couple Radio Stations here still broacact the series on Saturdays and Sundays