PDA

View Full Version : Error 246 Z-Axis Stall

soomro
10-01-2006, 06:18 PM
I just got this error after cutting a piece couple of days ago just fine. Checked the forum but couldn't find any help on this. Can we anyone help me out right quick, pleeeese?

Thanks
Munawar

BobHill
10-02-2006, 11:17 AM
Check your other message on this problem. This might be due to the aluminum tape bunching behind the Z head. I posted a possible help there.

tmilo
03-04-2007, 10:11 AM
Hi,
Please help!I have only made 1 project and I keep getting the 246 error .I start the project the router runs then it stalls.Dont know why? The machine is dust free and new.Sometimes it is the y axis or the x axis,and even the z .Dont know what to do?Thanks
Tmilo
After speaking with the great people at carvewright my machine works great.To all the members I dont think you should mess with your machines until you talk to the techs at carvewright,They know whats best for the machine,and it will avoid further complications.Just give them time to call you back,they will in a few days.
Tmilo

nodwell
03-04-2007, 11:02 AM
I had same problem once. What was happening was that after board was measured the bit goes to back of machine where a metal plate is tripped and flips out to find tip of bit. This plate ws not extending out far enough to make contact. After trying to fine tip three times the cutting head would return to home and give the stall error. Easist way around this is to apply slight pressure to cutting head as it travels to back of machine (help push). Watch the plate to make sure it has flipped out far enough. If not rerun and increase pressure.

There are several other things to do in the 'sticky' at top of this forum. I tried those also but they did not help me.

Don

Jeff_Birt
03-04-2007, 11:59 AM
I would suggest upgrading to the new firmware 1.119, thi sis supposed to take care of some of these problems. Also, use SEARCH. There are many, many posts on this subject.

Ropdoc
03-05-2007, 06:16 PM
I downloaded the latest version (1.119) and still can not get the machine to work.

Dave

Jeff_Birt
03-05-2007, 07:01 PM
RopdocI downloaded the latest version (1.119) and still can not get the machine to work.

Dave

Dave, OK it doesn't work. This still does not tell us what problem you are having or when this problem is happing.

Skyhawk
03-05-2007, 07:56 PM
What is the temp in your shop?

I will get this error when my shop is below 50...To test point a ceramic heater into the machine for a few minutes being carefule to not leave it to close...once the internal temp has raised to a normal level try it again...

Ropdoc
03-06-2007, 08:11 AM
Dave, OK it doesn't work. This still does not tell us what problem you are having or when this problem is happing.

I plug in my flash card, start the machine, hit option 1, pick my project and hit enter. The head moves down about 1/4" stops and the display reads z axis error, 246. I am not at the machine so I do not have the exact wording but that is close.

I have moved the head up and down, side to side. Looked inside to see if the cutter nicked something which it didn't. I checked that the plugs are seated, and the best I can tell they are. I tried to look behind the head for rolled up aluminum tape, could not really see any,I downloaded the current version of software (1.119) and made sure that it was transfered to the flash drive, I have even tried to measure the board and scan the area.

What should I do next? I have a second call in to Carvewright.

liquidguitars
03-07-2007, 11:50 AM
Are you mac or pc?

I think it’s a good idea to format the card under the new software 1.119 and flash the firmware next, I format with all new software updates if need be, twice.
Also I use the flash tools to delete and clean my flash card when working on a lot of projects, like a hard drive keep it fresh.

Lig

Ropdoc
03-07-2007, 07:46 PM
I was able to talk to the tech as I sat in front of the machine. We discovered that the 3/4" ribbon leading to the head needed to be reseated. So I went thurough all the steps to remove the top cover. Reseated the ribbon on both ends. Put it all together and fired up the machine. It ran for about 3 minutes and the error reacurred. So I wnet thru the steps a second time with the same results.

I am a clumbsy clod and should not be making these types of repairs. Can't this machine be put together better in the first place. When I was looking over the workings of this thing it sure is a flimsy or fragile piece of equipment.

Dave

wacoustics
03-07-2007, 08:25 PM
I had same problem once. What was happening was that after board was measured the bit goes to back of machine where a metal plate is tripped and flips out to find tip of bit. This plate ws not extending out far enough to make contact. After trying to fine tip three times the cutting head would return to home and give the stall error. Easist way around this is to apply slight pressure to cutting head as it travels to back of machine (help push). Watch the plate to make sure it has flipped out far enough. If not rerun and increase pressure.

There are several other things to do in the 'sticky' at top of this forum. I tried those also but they did not help me.

Don

Perhaps worth noting that I had this problem also, but only after upgrading to 1.120. 1.115 of the software worked fine on my machine. I noticed that the bit seemed to flip out just a little more each time, so I decided to be persistent. After about 6 failures it started to flip out far enough for things to work correctly, but it scratched the little metal flipper a little. Ultimately I ended up rolling back to 1.115.