PDA

View Full Version : Edge detection failed Error 400

jjrodes
04-01-2010, 12:38 PM
Hi
I have been a Carvewright user since 2007 and usually carve walnut and oak. Last 2 days I have been getting an Edge Detection Failure, Error 400. I can't even measure a board now. Even after 3 layers of masking tape I still can not recognize all edges to cut a piece. I removed the board sensor and cleaned it, does it ever get weak in sensing a board? With the back side of a cd I can get it to read 150, other wise it is about 25 to 28. The documentation says between 170 and 250. I never had it that high.

What am I missing? I could use your help.

I put this post is wrong category. How do I move it to troubleshooting?
Thanks

dbfletcher
04-01-2010, 12:57 PM
Hi
I have been a Carvewright user since 2007 and usually carve walnut and oak. Last 2 days I have been getting an Edge Detection Failure, Error 400. I can't even measure a board now. Even after 3 layers of masking tape I still can not recognize all edges to cut a piece. I removed the board sensor and cleaned it, does it ever get weak in sensing a board? With the back side of a cd I can get it to read 150, other wise it is about 25 to 28. The documentation says between 170 and 250. I never had it that high.

What am I missing? I could use your help.

I put this post is wrong category. How do I move it to troubleshooting?
Thanks

Either is the sensor is not clean... or one of the two led emmitters has failed or come loose from te board. did you disassembly the sensor to clean the window? In order to keep everything "standard", most of us use a sheet of white copy paper so whencompairing numbers we are all in the same ballpark. A cd is obviously way more reflectivethan paper.

Doug Fletcher

Doug Fletcher

jjrodes
04-01-2010, 01:35 PM
Thanks Doug
When I removed the sensor, I could not see how to take it apart. I will try again on Monday. I tried different colors of materials to see which it likes best. I will try the white paper.

Thanks again
Jerry

Digitalwoodshop
04-01-2010, 07:10 PM
Jerry,

Here are some pictures.

The older machines have the first generation of the board detector. The green board was not glued to the black plastic holder. The QC Vibration of the Green Circuit Board resulted in the LED's snapping off of the board.

There are 2 LED's or Lights and 1 Receiver that looks at the return light.

I came up with the white copy paper idea as my white copy paper is the same as yours. With white copy paper you should get 140 to 156.

When you remove the Board Detector look at the window on the bottom. Sometimes with the back bump on the detector and the leaks around the edge of the black plastic case, dust can get into the inside of the the plastic window.

What I found to be best for me is using a knife and slice down the back removing the back plastic bump. At that time the circuit board could fall off or you will see 1 or 2 broken LED's.... Or the window dirty from the inside.

The 2nd generation only has one change but it is HUGE !!!!!

They ran a VERY thin layer of epoxy around the edge of the green board sticking it to the black plastic holder. NO more snapped off LED's and LESS dust getting into the inside of the plastic window.

I sealed my detector back up with masking tape being sure to catch the edge of the window. I have been running like this for months.

Remember if you pull the wires down too far you can pinch the wires and cause a zero reading too...

Good Luck

AL

Digitalwoodshop
04-01-2010, 07:30 PM
Since you mentioned your machine is old... You may have the OLD Z with the 16 pin system.

Look at the pictures and the length of your Z Cooling Fins. You may have the old 16 pin thinner wire FSC or big flat cable supplying the Z Power and Data... Including the Board Detector.... Wires break on the thin wires....

The 14 pin has a better Current handling capability.

You want the heavier New Z Bundle. If you ever need repair parts you need to know if you have the old Z or new Z.... 2 Users here have had the 14 pin new FSC cable sent as a repair part and installed in a old 16 pin system shorting out the computer..... It's good to know.... The Computer will cost you $300.00 thank you...

Good Luck,

AL

jjrodes
04-05-2010, 10:33 AM
Al,
I did replace the Z truck with the new 14 pin last year. I am working with the board sensor now.
Thanks
Jerry

jjrodes
04-05-2010, 11:52 AM
Hey again Al,
I took the board sensor apart like you said and found a lot of dirt inside. Now I get 157 with the white paper.

Thanks very much. It did the trick.
Case closed.
Jerry

Digitalwoodshop
04-05-2010, 12:50 PM
Good Job !!!!!

Al