PDA

View Full Version : Stupid Gremlins...Long post...Sorry

Log Cabin Signs
03-31-2010, 11:08 PM
Boy, when it rains, it pours. I just finished making 12 Arrow of Light Award plaques (pine) for my son's Weblos Pack. When I started carving a plaque (red cedar) for the Den Leader, I noticed that the carving was "blurring". I started getting Y-axis stall error message. I checked the movement of the truck and everything seemed ok. I looked at the carving bit and it looked worn, so I ordered a new one. A week later, I installed the new bit in the QC Chuck and proceeded to carve another pine plaque. Another error message:roll:. This time check board. After a thorough check out, I noticed that the homing sensor on the truck was hanging down. After a search on this forum, I found that this was not really a problem, but I had to flash the current software onto the machine to get it to operate. Still getting a board sensor error, I did the checks and found that the sensor did indeed have a layer of fine dust on the inside of the lens. After trying unsuccessfully to blow the offending dirt out of the sensor, I removed the plastic lens and it worked!:-D Ok, back to carving...not...:roll: I thought that the machine was louder than normal, but I let it go for about an hour. The carving was again horrible. I checked the brand new bit and it was loose! I also noticed some black dust on the carving. Thinking that I may have installed the bit incorrectly, I tried another carving...not so fast...:confused: I stopped it after about 15 minutes because it was horrendiously loud, and carving horribly. After stopping the carving yet again, I noticed that the bit was again loose. I'm thinking at this point that a part of the homing sensor must have fallen back into the chuck and was ground into fine dust. It probably got into the moving parts of the chuck and caused damage. I noticed also that there were parts of the sensor in the Z-axis belt. Anyway, to make a short story long, I ordered a Rock Chuck and a new board sensor. Hopefully this will fix the problems. I found all of the information that I needed on this forum and I thank you all for all of your posts. Oh yea, I have had my CC for about 2 years and it has about 100 hours on the motor. I've never had much trouble with it until this week.

Log Cabin Signs
04-01-2010, 01:19 AM
My bad, I put this in the wrong section. Maybe a Mod could move this to the users section?

alan.galbraith
04-01-2010, 07:41 AM
I have a request to carve the same plaque. Did you use the ptn that was posted here, or did you create your own. The one that was posted here seemed to be a thru cut.

Log Cabin Signs
04-01-2010, 12:32 PM
Alan, I made my own design. I'm no brain surgeon, so it's not perfect, but they seem to like them. I use 1X8 Pine, but I think Poplar might be better if you can get it. The attached image is a bit different from the current carving, but it can be easily modified. If you like, I can send the ptn...Mike

cnsranch
04-01-2010, 12:39 PM
Here's one I found:

http://forum.carvewright.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=20284&d=1234404087